What's new
What's new

What am I missing?? ( 3 inch face mill seco m15 )

Jeet401

Plastic
I'm face milling steel plates from 45mm to 30mm. I'm using a 3inch 5 tooth facsimile with seco m15 inserts. Their site recommends ds 850 ish rpm with 50ipm feed at a .11 depth of cut. If I run ANYWHERE close to that my machine is destroyed. I can barely get away with 600 rpm at 4ipm at a .05 depth of cut. I'm relatively new to this side of the trade, I mostly dealt with manual lathe and milling but I've been tasked with mastering this. My machine is a mill port rhino IV with centroid control panel, 5000 rpm max.Am I being a dumb baby and can actually run these numbers or am I missing something.

If I run ANYWHERE close to that my machine is destroyed.

The recommended speeds and feeds are for a stable setup and a machine that can handle those parameters.
If yours cannot, then back off 20% or so on the depth of cut and feed and adjust from there.

I just googled your machine. Looks like a Proto Trak...

I say cut that DOC by 1/3 and cut your feed to 5IPM and adjust from there.... Your machine is nowhere rigid enough to take a cut like that. You should be starting with Bridgeport parameters and adjusting from there.

You helped a lot, I backed to about .0393 so a 1mm doc at 800 rpm with 5ipm and its cutting good enough, I'll keep playing with it to speed the whole process up gradually

Back