What's new
What's new

What is the best engraving tool.

nofxz

Aluminum
Well the title of this post pretty much is the question. Here is some follow up info, It is just 6061 I am machining and the depth of the engraving is 0.005 call out on the drawing. I am just putting some part numbers on.

these are all "marking tools" to me. "engraving" means cutting a single furrow and raising a single chip with a "graver" or "bruin", either by hand, by hand with a hammer, or with power assist, (such as GRS tools).

I use single flute engraving cutters and face mill .001 more off after. My customer wants the V shape but I am a big fan of .040 ball end mills about .003 deep.

The problem I have with the sharp V tools is chipping the tip because my tool measurement probe is rather stiff. I use a .005 Mylar shim to protect the tip when I measure and add .003 to the length.

Hey, that is just me, your results may vary.

I'm doing some engraving on production parts, 6061 bars. I want the bottom flat to be around .01" with no raised burrs after the engraver, and text .003"-.005" deep. I started with a .05" ball mill that was working great until I plunged it and the holder into a part. Next, I settled on an 1/8" center drill which worked just great, best I could find that I had on hand. Thinking the $17 aluminum specific engravers from Harvey Tool should work better than a $2 center drill, $1 per end, I got two. Well they suck, the cutter marks are worse at the same speed, both are 2 fluted, and they raise a burr. Sorry to say it but I have to keep relearning that center drills make the best engravers in aluminum, and they are the cheapest.

Just to be different, I've been using 1/16" 2FL EM's with a .02" radius custom ground. One customer prefers the engraving to use their logo font, which has a variable line width, and so it's cut as a closed loop toolpath. A vee or ball leaves a double groove with a ridge down the middle. Bullnose leaves a flat bottom.

Someone turned me onto 30deg incl. 1/32 ball nose 3fl runner cutters a while back.
Don't know about AL, but A2, 4140 32RC, 347 and 304 comes out awesome @ .005 depth.

1/32" or 1/16" Ball. Used to use spot or center drill... downside around here is they seem to take a beating when someone spot drills whatever BS project they are working on. The little ball end mills seem to have a better life and make a better looking part.

I think the consensus here is there's really quite a variety of tools that can be used for this. Just depends on what you want the letters to look like, and how big or small they need to be.

The following has served me well. The OLFSimpleSansOC is a great single stroke/stick font for engraving.

Tool: 1/16 Ball Mill
Depth 0.005 in.
CAD/CAM: Solidworks/BobCAM
Font: OLF SimpleSansOC
Height: 0.100 in.
Width Factor: 100%
Spacing 115%

20170505_213801.jpg

Everede Nine9 is the way to go for small text(3/16 or less)IMHO. We were using single point engraving tools by Onsrud with great success with the exception of tool life in nearly any material. I started a very similar thread a couple of months ago, bought the Everede, and won't look back. Ingersoll FAK tools are great for the 1/4" or bigger stuff. Everede is pricey, but well worth my $ for it thus far. They have a really sweet looking 4 flute engraving set up too(still on my to buy list), if your need is speed. Just my .02.

Back