What's new
What's new

What are the best gloves for CNC Operators

AntidoteBiomed

Plastic
Hi All,
Thought I'd throw this one out to the community. Myself and a colleague have tried a few types of gloves and currently use nitrile coated fabric gloves..these..

45400_01.jpg-0_600.jpg

Great for gripping but I get fine chips stabbing me through the fingertips.

Has anyone found the magical product to offer grip, protection, comfort and ability to handle smallish tools?

I'm in Australia, but happy to access Amazon or other foreign suppliers.

I'm a relative newbie to machining.

Interesting, never gave it a thought. In 40+ years of being around CNCs, I've never used them when running one and only very rarely saw other folks using gloves. Once in a while when doing repairs maybe I'd use whatever work gloves were handy. Sometimes a pair of heavy duty rubber gloves when cleaning a sump.

Will be interesting to hear what others do.

If you like your hands, do not wear gloves at all whilst running any kind of a rotating spindle machine. A lot of shops have rules against it. Ours does.

If you like your hands, do not wear gloves at all whilst running any kind of a rotating spindle machine. A lot of shops have rules against it. Ours does.

I mostly agree with that, but I do wear light surgical gloves when I work. They tear off very easily if they do get caught (happened once on a lathe), anything stronger or fabric is a no-go due to the risk.

As far as metal splinters, I don't get them that often, maybe change how you grab stuff or pre-clean, or change tooling to get "bulk" chips rather than fine needles.

No gloves at the VMC, having switched over to Blaser BC935SW.

Nitrile gloves at the Mori SL-2B lathe, as I'm still pushing through the last of the Trim 685 that I apparently have an allergic reaction to. Once I'm through the last of the Trimsol in the lateh, it will get the Blaser product and then hopefully no gloves anywhere.

No gloves or sleeves at the manual machines of course.

Regards.

Mike

I'm not a fan of wearing gloves unless I'm handling greasy bundles of cold-roll, or emptying chip bins. More than the risk of getting a glove wrapped up in a machine, bare skin is more sensitive to movement/heat/vibrations, so you can feel what's happening and react accordingly.

I work with small parts too, so gloves tend to get in the way of my fingertips tinkering with stuff.

All that said, I like gloves to have a little cushion and be washable. Generic welding gloves and leather gloves have worked out well for me.

No gloves around rotating machinery in our shop. Too many stories of torn off thumbs and fingers. Although a CNC that cannot turn with the enclosure open does allow some other options.

Ditch the gloves, all they are gonna do is catch ships. Blow your parts off well and you won't have an issue. Metal splinters and small cuts are part of the job...digging the small splinters out is a side benefit, I'd suggest tweezers with a light and magnifying glass :)

I’ve never worn gloves in the shop. I dig the slivers out with an X-acto knife if they’re deep, otherwise you can grab them with a pair of calipers.

I use nitrile gloves when operating machines. Like Milland, I do use thin ones that rip easily if caught or snagged. I find they prevent splinters and I believe they reduce the risk of skin sensitization to chemicals/coolant.

I also buy Mapa Ultrane 500 coated fabric gloves for general handling of stuff away from the machines. They fit me really well and are pretty durable. But yeah, never worn around running machines.

Never thought to wear gloves in all these years. Would be afraid to actually. Good way to get your hand and all the rest that's connected pulled into a machine. No keen sense of touch either. I bleed a little almost every day. Darn slivers. Still just part of the job.

Dave

I wear a Catchers mitt when "Operators" are wearing gloves. Feel is a part of my job. But if you've ever worked on one part for 10 hours or more, dropping it on the floor is not acceptable. Ironically...

R

worked with a guy off the street who wasn't trained properly. Paid a big price by wearing knit gloves and reaching into the VMC.
some people need to be protected to their own negligence.
I wear thin Nitrile.

Another glove pissin match. Might as well recommend a good apron for the engine lathe while we're at it. Lol.. :popcorn:

10 years in a job shop and the only guy that really wore gloves was the saw man. 20 years at a big shop and folks put them on to go take a leak. I don't wear them.

Not a poke at you Huflungdung.

Brent

I wear a Catchers mitt when "Operators" are wearing gloves. Feel is a part of my job. But if you've ever worked on one part for 10 hours or more, dropping it on the floor is not acceptable. Ironically...

R

What if there's one of them there thick rubbah mats on the floor?

No gloves, no rings... I can still count to ten. I'd rather have slivers and cuts than a malformed claw. We should do a poll on how many fingers you have picked up while the ambulance is in route. I think I am at 6 or 7 (there is some question on the exact number because we found one a week later in the rafters... should that count?)

Back