What's new
What's new

What coolant are you running in your Brother?

Fal Grunt

Titanium
I was looking at Oemeta and Qualichem and found out yesterday that using a semi synthetic or fully synthetic coolant in a Brother voids the warranty.

Suggestions?

I was looking at Oemeta and Qualichem and found out yesterday that using a semi synthetic or fully synthetic coolant in a Brother voids the warranty.

Suggestions?

I think it's only the synthetic. I recently switched to semi and Yamazen told me that there isn't any problem.

Do you have more machines? If so, what are you using? I don't think any coolant is bad. It's more about the quality of your water.

But yes, so far very happy with Hangsterfers S-747.

Oemeta Hy-Cut here, and am extremely happy with it. Yes it's a two part coolant which scares everybody, but we have no issues whatsoever keeping concentrations perfect. It taps great, it smells "ehh", it's the only coolant you can "officially" add straight water to, it does not strip out even through 2 micron filters, we have no foaming issues, etc.

They have their own way oil and tapping fluid (that actually works), and they are compatible with the coolant. If you run it all, you have zero tramp oils except whatever comes in on your materials.

We do get some rusting on surfaces that are air locked, where the water can evaporate out of the oil but not be vented to the atmosphere. It's not near bad enough for me to even worry about, but we do spray a little rust inhibitor on that stuff on the rare occasion the vises get taken apart.

EDIT: We've been running this for 6 years I think, and the only real problem we had was a bacteria outbreak that started in the shitty coalescer I was running. Oemeta came in, drained the sump, cleaned everything, recharged the sump FOR FREE. I believe our oldest sump now is 4 years old with no signs of degradation at all. It should go 10 years easy. And you can send test samples to Oemeta Germany for free testing any time you want. And you have access to an Oemeta employee whose sole job is to come to your place and clean your sump. For Free. Yeah, I'm a fan.

Thanks for the input guys. Here is a snippet of the email:

"Synthetic or semi-synthetic coolants will, in fact, void the warranty."

Maybe I shouldn't have asked and just bought what I wanted and then if there was an issue pointed out that nowhere was anything said about coolant restrictions. Guess that cat is out of the bag.

Riabma77, the VMC I am replacing with the Brother never had coolant in it while I owned it. I run 98% steel, and a good portion of that is tool steel. I rarely wished for coolant and was amazed at tool life. Sometimes chip evacuation was an issue, but not often.

My other machines are all older and most have cutting oil, not coolant. One has coolant, I got a few gallons from a guy in a plastic jug. Amazing coolant, smells great, cuts great, doesn't bother my hands. NEVER have been able to figure what it is.

Oemeta was my first choice. . . Maybe once the warranty expires I'll look at it.

Oemeta was my first choice. . . Maybe once the warranty expires I'll look at it.
I guess this means I have no idea what makes a coolant synthetic or semi synthetic. I thought Oemeta being vegetable-oil-based meant it was neither. Dunno, but the MSDS says it's completely biodegradable.

I guess this means I have no idea what makes a coolant synthetic or semi synthetic. I thought Oemeta being vegetable-oil-based meant it was neither. Dunno, but the MSDS says it's completely biodegradable.

Does it make you feel any better that I am equally or MORE ignorant? The extent of my knowledge, for most of my machining career was/is merely the addition of coolant to the tank.

The sheets I found on Oemeta either mentioned semi-synthetic or synthetic. When I emailed my sales guy stating the above, he basically said that is ignorant on Brothers part and sorry about your luck, in MANY more words and much more diplomatic :D

Rick, how does one get Yamazens blessing?

Does it make you feel any better that I am equally or MORE ignorant? The extent of my knowledge, for most of my machining career was/is merely the addition of coolant to the tank.

The sheets I found on Oemeta either mentioned semi-synthetic or synthetic. When I emailed my sales guy stating the above, he basically said that is ignorant on Brothers part and sorry about your luck, in MANY more words and much more diplomatic :D

Rick, how does one get Yamazens blessing?

Blaser. You have my blessing.

We're running Blaser BC37MG in all our machines including 3 Brothers. Reason is that we do a fair amount of plate work in Mic-6 (now Anconic); the magnesium content of this material breaks down coolants quickly unless the coolant is formulated to handle it. All other aspects of coolant such as skin sensitivity have not been a problem. We machine mostly aluminum (Mic-6, 6061,2024,7075), plus some stainless and brass; no problems with any of these materials.

Acknowledged negative for Blaser is it's more expensive.

Fred

First, I've basically never actually heard of Yamazen needing to do a warranty repair on a broken machine. Tech support and software updates and rewiring accessories here and there - but I don't know a single Speedio owner who has had to get into some sort of deep warranty thing.

Second, I've never heard Yamazen (or any other MTB/Distributor) denying warranty coverage over coolant. There might be "no synthetic coolant!" clauses deep in the contract somewhere as a CYA measure, and an anecdotal story... but does anyone thing modern coolant from a big name company is going to go on the market and start ruining seals within the warranty period?

Either way Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act would cover a situation where a spindle bearing blew up and the manufacturer denied warranty coverage due to the kind of coolant used. They would need to demonstrate that the coolant had a direct effect on the failure that triggered the warranty repair.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about this.

First, I've basically never actually heard of Yamazen needing to do a warranty repair on a broken machine. Tech support and software updates and rewiring accessories here and there - but I don't know a single Speedio owner who has had to get into some sort of deep warranty thing.

Second, I've never heard Yamazen (or any other MTB/Distributor) denying warranty coverage over coolant. There might be "no synthetic coolant!" clauses deep in the contract somewhere as a CYA measure, and an anecdotal story... but does anyone thing modern coolant from a big name company is going to go on the market and start ruining seals within the warranty period?

Either way Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act would cover a situation where a spindle bearing blew up and the manufacturer denied warranty coverage due to the kind of coolant used. They would need to demonstrate that the coolant had a direct effect on the failure that triggered the warranty repair.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about this.

There are certain coolants that are very nasty to the machine. You can see sticking on way covers and such. The worst is rubber and plastic seals. That is what builders are worried about. I have not had to argue about a Brother warranty but have been questioned once on a bearing failure.

Second, I've never heard Yamazen (or any other MTB/Distributor) denying warranty coverage over coolant.

I did. My HFO claimed to the coolant all the problems the machine had, because the coolant was mineral oil based (Blaser 2000 Universal), even under warranty.

The Blaser sales rep I had in TX told me horrendous histories between Haas and Blaser, but that's another story...

I did. My HFO claimed to the coolant all the problems the machine had, because the coolant was mineral oil based (Blaser 2000 Universal), even under warranty.

The Blaser sales rep I had in TX told me horrendous histories between Haas and Blaser, but that's another story...

Machines love mineral oil.

Machines love mineral oil.

They say that mineral oil will destroy the way cover seals, spindle seals, etc... I never had a problem specifically with those parts.

When I moved the business to NM, I ordered a complete inspection for the machine. Y axis had a lot of backlash that couldn't be compensated by the control. The technician removed the cover and it wasn't a single chip or oil residue anywhere from the coolant. He was surprised (as I was).

First, I've basically never actually heard of Yamazen needing to do a warranty repair on a broken machine.
Strictly a data point, and an obvious oddity, our R650 shipped with a bad Y ballscrew. It was discovered during install by the tech. We had a replacement assembly the next day and the machine install was completed within maybe 3 days, including my training. And I never said jack shit to anybody, they took care of it automatically.

I believe Hardinge said running soluble coolants on HNC/CHNC lathes would void the warranty.

Back