What coolant are you using in your cnc lathes?
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default What coolant are you using in your cnc lathes?

Our cnc lathes evaporate the coolant like crazy so we end up going through a barrel every 2-3 months for 7 lathes.
    Our mills usually take a month or two longer to empty out a barrel of the same stuff.
    Right now we're using a local coolant supplier and are raising the price. So if we can get a different coolant that will last longer to justify a higher price that's a no brainer.
    Thanks.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use Oemeta Novamet 900 in both my mills and lathes. It seems to stay in the tank, even after adding water several times. Their way oil and tapping oil dissolves into the coolant as well, so tramp oil is a non issue. I cut aluminum and stainless, its been the best coolant I've had so far.

3. Likes DouglasJRizzo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like qualichem 251c

It’s nice my lathe also evaporates a lot but I don’t run as much as you do. I probably have. To add 10 gallons every week or 2 or what I actually do is let it get too low to pump and add 40 or so gallons at a time.

5. Likes DouglasJRizzo, chet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Castrol Hysol XF.

Our lathes evaporate a lot of water of the coolant when they're running hard. Like 50+ litres of water a day, but we rarely top up the oil.

We have electrostatic extractors on them which drains the oil & condensate back into the tank.

Are you monitoring your concentration?

7. Likes BT Fabrication liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had been using Cimcool Cimperial 1070 but had very bad bacterial growth in multiple machines.

Now using Quaker/Houghton Hocut 795 and seems much better.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    Our cnc lathes evaporate the coolant like crazy ...
    The difference is probably the chucks. Your mills don't spin the part in a big fan thingy, right ? Lathe guys who run collets lose a lot less coolant.

10. Likes BT Fabrication liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    The difference is probably the chucks. Your mills don't spin the part in a big fan thingy, right ? Lathe guys who run collets lose a lot less coolant.
    It evaporates because of it turning to steam not the speed of the lathes. They don't usually go faster than 2k rpm except on 2 of them but the smaller lathes don't do any hoggin.

Basically I'm curious to find out if we're going through a abnormal amount of coolant due to this. I used to run cnc lathes all throughout the 90's but I can't remember how much coolant I went through back then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most of your evaporation loss is water. You don't want to add just pure water back though! (The coolant in the tank can fail to emulsify with the plain water.)

Mix about 1/2% coolant-to-water for top off.

And monitor your concentration with a refractometer. Running your coolants richer than needed can cost serious dough over time...

ToolCat
    Last edited by cnctoolcat; 10-23-2021 at 09:32 AM.

13. Likes BT Fabrication liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    ^^^ This guys knows. That big chuck atomizes the coolant more. When you can still breathe it in through 4 layers of a mask, including a special filter, it is on a very small molecule level now. So spinning 3 jaws at 4k rpm ...shits vaporizing. Drilling a 2in hole at the same time 8in deep raising the temp of said coolant that much quicker too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It evaporates because of it turning to steam not the speed of the lathes. They don't usually go faster than 2k rpm except on 2 of them but the smaller lathes don't do any hoggin.

Basically I'm curious to find out if we're going through a abnormal amount of coolant due to this. I used to run cnc lathes all throughout the 90's but I can't remember how much coolant I went through back then.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    Castrol Hysol XF.

Our lathes evaporate a lot of water of the coolant when they're running hard. Like 50+ litres of water a day, but we rarely top up the oil.

We have electrostatic extractors on them which drains the oil & condensate back into the tank.

Are you monitoring your concentration?
    I ask again. The only real oil losses we see are out of the conveyor...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A barrel every 2-3 months for 7 lathes is not bad at all in my opinion. We have 5 lathes in the area i work at and a barrel never makes it past two months. All lathes run 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We're using CIMTECH 320 from Cimcool with good results. One thing my boss told me about it is that it's important to buy it from Cimcool and not someone who's licensed to make it, as the licensees don't seem to be able to mix it properly.
    We clean out the sumps once a year, and the only time it develops a smell is when we cut acetal.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use Quali-Chem Xtreme Cut 231.
    Been very happy with it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasJRizzo View Post
    I use Quali-Chem Xtreme Cut 231.
    Been very happy with it.
    I use this also in my lathe and its great. In my mill not so much, it has a high pressure pump and I have issues with foaming.

20. Likes BT Fabrication liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes we use a refractometer, and we also have a meter/mixer to ration it at the barrel.
    I think we just have shit coolant because it's not just the water that's turning to steam, if that were the case then the ratio would be sky high in the tanks. It's normal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've got Synergy 735 in our new lathe. It seems to do fine, although I do mostly delrin and aluminum and not really any production work. The water definitely evaporates pretty quick, I go through 10-20 gallons a week, but I rarely lose much oil other than on chips, so I don't run the chip conveyor all the time. The mist collector definitely helps clear the enclosure quicker, I give it 30-60 seconds after a program is done before opening the door.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes we use a refractometer, and we also have a meter/mixer to ration it at the barrel.
    I think we just have shit coolant because it's not just the water that's turning to steam, if that were the case then the ratio would be sky high in the tanks. It's normal.
    is it going out with all the chips then? thicker coolant will stick to chips a bit more. what is your concentration % at?

i mix a 2% to top it up, and only run it at 5-7% and get fantastic results with Qualichem 230. different materials need different coolants though.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BT Fabrication View Post
    is it going out with all the chips then? thicker coolant will stick to chips a bit more. what is your concentration % at?

i mix a 2% to top it up, and only run it at 5-7% and get fantastic results with Qualichem 230. different materials need different coolants though.
    We have timers set on our chip conveyors. Turning them off and on at intervals allows much of the coolant sticking to the chips to drain back into the tank before exiting. Mixing too rich will increase carry-off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BT Fabrication View Post
    is it going out with all the chips then?
    This is definitely a possibility. I'd have to ask the operators.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Something else we have done to cut coolant use- we fabbed our own chip tubs and put wheels on them to make moving them easier, in addition to putting drains on them. The coolant in the chip tubs drains into 5 gallon buckets which are then dumped back into the machines.