What's new
What's new

What do you guys think of the new toy.....Okuma Genos L300M

Edster

Diamond
The beginning of Dec our Okuma guy came in with a great end of the year deal on their Genos lathes. Not such a great deal on my trades though. :) I ended up selling my two Haas lathes to 520 Machinery and we got the Genos the day after Christmas. Was a little hectic finishing up jobs scheduled for the Haas lathes and getting them tied down and cleaned up. 520 had both machines sold while they were still on my floor. If I would have known they would sell so quick I would have sold them on consignment for a few bucks more. Oh well the guys at 520 were great to deal with and they had a check for the machines here super fast.

We wired the machine the week after New Year and the Okuma guy got the machine up and running this week.

Feels good to be an all Okuma shop with only one control to worry about. :D

Thanks Doug925 for answering all my questions. :cheers:

And yes the spindle motor fan is super loud! The worst part is that it's on all the time the main switch is on. I think it will have to be wired into the e-stop circuit.

20130107_110457_zps3c1a9db5.jpg

And yes that fan is super loud! The worst part is that it's on all the time the main switch is on. I think it will have to be wired into the e-stop circuit.

They haven't fixed that? Our 10 year old Heritage has the same fan. It makes more noise than an LB-45.

We put a 12" SMW chuck on ours. No way the tool probe would clear it!

Does it have live tools, or is it VDI for everything now? Never mind, just checked the pictures.

Congratulations on the purchase! Nothing beats being the first one to break in a machine, especially something that nice! I know its probably wrong to ask,but what does something like that cost?

Tony

They haven't fixed that? Our 10 year old Heritage has the same fan. It makes more noise than an LB-45.

We put a 12" SMW chuck on ours. No way the tool probe would clear it!

Does it have live tools, or is it VDI for everything now? Never mind, just checked the pictures.

I can't believe the fan doesn't shut off on powersave or e-stop. That would at least make it manageable.

It's got a VDI40 turret with live tools and C axis. The radial live tools are the same as my Captain lathe's tools. The others wont work because the Captain has a sub and the tools are extended to reach the sub. At least some of the tools will work though.

It looks pretty tight around that turret. Is there room to change tools with a radial live tool mounted?

I saw one of these running down at Hartwig in STL. They were making a hex flange complete on one clamping.

Congratulations on the purchase! Nothing beats being the first one to break in a machine, especially something that nice! I know its probably wrong to ask,but what does something like that cost?

Tony

Thanks!

The Genos L400 was approx 75k well equipped. The 400 is a 2 axis lathe with a bolt on turret. The 300M is the same lathe with live tools and a VDI40 turret. They call it a 300 because the capacity is a little smaller because the turret is bigger to accomodate the live tool drive. The 300M was approx 92k well equipped. Eat your hearts out Haas guys :)

Well equipped means it came with a chuck, tailstock, live center, tool probe, chip conveyor, P200 control, rigid tapping, variable spindle speed control for reducing chatter, etc.

I paid a few grand more for a couple options I needed. Extra M codes, Separate rapid override knob (should be standard IMO), and variable speed threading. The variable speed threading lets the spindle speed be changed while in the cut. Should be interesting and I wonder if it will work with the variable spindle speed control.

It looks pretty tight around that turret. Is there room to change tools with a radial live tool mounted?

I saw one of these running down at Hartwig in STL. They were making a hex flange complete on one clamping.

That tool in the pic clears the sheetmetal with room to spare. I really love the setting (can't remember the name) that lets you unlock the turret and jog it with the pulse generator. So far I havent crashed any tools into the way cover on my Okumas because its so easy to check the clearance.

Here's a link to an older brochure if anyone is interested. Some specs have changed in the new brochures but I couldn't find them online.

http://www.tatung-okuma.com.tw/doc/GENOS-en.pdf

I made a little gage with some magnets glued to the base so I could check the tools as I put them in. On the small parts with little drills in extended holders it was easier than hoping they were right and having one get tweaked on the cover. The cover is so shiny that I had trouble seeing the tool sometimes until it was too late.

Glad to see you are happy, sure is nice to look at, how heavy is that door? The Captain was so heavy and my milling machine door was so light when you moved from one to the other you had to make sure you didnt rip the milling machine door of the track. :)

Charles

The 300M was approx 92k well equipped. Eat your hearts out Haas guys :)

Well equipped means it came with a chuck, tailstock, live center, tool probe, chip conveyor, P200 control, rigid tapping, variable spindle speed control for reducing chatter, etc.

I paid a few grand more for a couple options I needed. Extra M codes, Separate rapid override knob (should be standard IMO), and variable speed threading. The variable speed threading lets the spindle speed be changed while in the cut. Should be interesting and I wonder if it will work with the variable spindle speed control.

That's a lot of machine for the money!

The variable speed threading piques my interest as well. Seems like a fairly straightforward feature that most machines DON'T have but should be standard. Let us know how well it works!

Thanks for posting.

-Sol

Congrats! Those appear to be great machines for the money... If I could physically fit it in my shop I would be getting the same thing with live tool and a y. The only thing that bums me out about them is if you want to do the heavy duty options like hobbing etc- they make you buy an LB3000 for a LOT more cash. :(

The Genos lathes are priced a lot better then the genos mills for sure...

Is that a Chinese machine?
Is that their "ECO" line or what?
I just can't hardly believe an Okuma that cheap!?

Just heard a week'r so ago that a local guy just got in an Okuma that is apparently like my twin turret/twin spindle lathe and at least as big (2-5/8) for under $150K. No idea why he has it as he is running R&D, but I need to go see this machine!

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back