Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Davo,

Tonytn36 works at an undisclosed location where they make round to round-ish, aluminum, parts in very high quantity, and very high tolerances.
    I believe that a V-8 would use 8 of the reciprocating "widgets"
    [wink wink] LOL

I'm not under any illusions that the Genos is cranking them out by the millions like the parts they make daily, but you never know...

Doug.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey Doug, I've got a quick question for you. Have you used the live center in the tailstock yet? If so how do you knock it out if it gets stuck? My old SL-10 had a hole though the center of the tailstock so I could knock it out with a bar, but I didn't see anything like that on the Genos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the captain there was a threaded collar that you turned with a spanner and it would push the tool out.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ed, Mine has a bolt in the back of the tailstock. Just crank it in and it'll knock the center out. Take off the right side end cover and you'll see it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+1 to what Tony said.
    Turn the bolt on the back until it forces to center out.

LOL Just wait until you want to run both with and without the center on the same part.
    You will get to dive into the M codes to turn on/off (switch back and forth from chuck work to center work and back) and so forth. :-D

Doug.

PS, go ahead and get rid of the little metal "tab" that restricts the fore /aft movement of the tailstock body. You can push the TS WAY farther back to gain more clearance for face working tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey Doug,

The part itself is not what I was curious about, I was just wondering about economics of the machine making 600 parts a day that profit a buck or 2 each or if they profit 10 bucks a piece x 600 ($6000 a day ) now that starts looking pretty good !

Quote Originally Posted by doug925 View Post
    Davo,

Tonytn36 works at an undisclosed location where they make round to round-ish, aluminum, parts in very high quantity, and very high tolerances.
    I believe that a V-8 would use 8 of the reciprocating "widgets"
    [wink wink] LOL

I'm not under any illusions that the Genos is cranking them out by the millions like the parts they make daily, but you never know...

Doug.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by davohouston View Post
    Hey Doug,

The part itself is not what I was curious about, I was just wondering about economics of the machine making 600 parts a day that profit a buck or 2 each or if they profit 10 bucks a piece x 600 ($6000 a day ) now that starts looking pretty good !
    No worries! I was just commenting on the types of stuff that Tony makes. (or oversees; I'm not sure which)
    I wish I could have a 1 year ROI on my machines. I think the ONLY machine that has come close to that was a used grinder. Made my $ back on the 1st job.

Doug.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL Just wait until you want to run both with and without the center on the same part.
    You will get to dive into the M codes to turn on/off (switch back and forth from chuck work to center work and back) and so forth. :-D
    VCHSW=1 or 0 switches modes for you

9. Likes doug925 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys

I didn't even notice the bolt in the end

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The machine allowed us to increase capacity by roughly 90,000 parts a year, per shift. That capacity is being fully utilized currently on one shift and will be three shifts by year end. With that capacity increase, you only need to make roughly $0.90 per part to have a one year ROI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice looking machine

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    No idea.

I just looked through your link and I don't find anything like that.

Keep in mind that I am still sceptic as to what exactly it is.

Don't know if I'll see him this winter or not, but should see him at the Columbus show in April I would think.

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

I swung in a few weeks ago to see - but he was not in at the shop.
    However - as I said I would - I saw him today in Columbus at the trade show. (PMTS)

He said that it is NOT a twin spindle machine.
    It is also NOT a twin turret machine either!

Man - I highly questioned what I was hearing the first time, but when you hear similar stories twice - you got's'ta wonder!
    I think I may need new contacts...

It is just a single turret lathe with a tailstock, and possibly live tooling.
    It is big so that he can spin 10" stock.
    It IS a Genos!
    ..and talking to a Gossiger salesman (not mine - but was mine from Hardinge many yrs ago) he said that any machine like the Twin/Twin will be an outright Okuma made in J A Pan. And will be in the $400+ range for one that size.

It is for R&D on Chase's "Green Dot" or "Eco Brass" line as they are apparently still trying to tweak their chemistry and/or cold working processes on it. (?)

The thing that he really likes about it is that this machine (OSP?) is able to track and plot the trq required for each cut, and he said that he even has it download right to his cell phone!

When I asked him about it - he was wondering if I was concerned that he was back in competition?
    Well - kind of. I don't know why you would need a twin twin machine for R&D, so ....

BTW - show was worth going to if your in the turning or production machining business!
    Saw lots of old contacts from over the years.
    Starting to wonder if knowing lots of faces at trade shows has an equivilance ratio to age?

Still open tomorrow (Thursday) yet for those within driving range. (I am 3 hrs away)

Hydromat did NOT have the new Icon150 there like I thought they were advertising. I couldn't believe that they would set up that beast for the small 3 day show, but... ??? They only sat up the 250 in Chicago once, so I couldn't believe they would set it up in Columbus. They did have a nice video presentation tho.

------------------------

...And that's the way it is, Wednesday, April 17, 2013
    Ox
    Last edited by Ox; 04-17-2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: added a wee bit more

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thats cool OX. The Genos lathes seem to be getting more popular. The twinstars are nice machines but wouldn't be my first choice for prototyping / R & D either. I do like the OSP's load monitoring system. The best part is the values for each axis or spindle can be written in the program. That way I don't have to remember what they were set at last time the job ran, and the load monitoring works on the very first part. Haven't figured out how to get the loads sent to my phone yet, but it would be cool for running lights out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    The beginning of Dec our Okuma guy came in with a great end of the year deal on their Genos lathes. Not such a great deal on my trades though. I ended up selling my two Haas lathes to 520 Machinery and we got the Genos the day after Christmas. Was a little hectic finishing up jobs scheduled for the Haas lathes and getting them tied down and cleaned up. 520 had both machines sold while they were still on my floor. If I would have known they would sell so quick I would have sold them on consignment for a few bucks more. Oh well the guys at 520 were great to deal with and they had a check for the machines here super fast.

We wired the machine the week after New Year and the Okuma guy got the machine up and running this week.

Feels good to be an all Okuma shop with only one control to worry about.

Thanks Doug925 for answering all my questions.

And yes the spindle motor fan is super loud! The worst part is that it's on all the time the main switch is on. I think it will have to be wired into the e-stop circuit.

Bud....i'm one of the owners of 520 Machinery and I really appreciate the kind words. We are glad we could help get you into the machine that you really wanted. Thanks again....the nice words mean a lot to us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh, one more thing about the Genos. When you aren't running it, hit the E-stop. That oiler runs all the time if you don't and it'll fill your coolant tank with way lube.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Berg-520 View Post
    Bud....i'm one of the owners of 520 Machinery and I really appreciate the kind words. We are glad we could help get you into the machine that you really wanted. Thanks again....the nice words mean a lot to us.
    Hey, thanks for doing such a great job!

Btw, how did your customers like our old machines?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well count me in. Ordered Tuesday, Hit the floor last night. Setup is this coming Tuesday..dsc01284.jpg L400.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tonytn36 View Post
    Oh, one more thing about the Genos. When you aren't running it, hit the E-stop. That oiler runs all the time if you don't and it'll fill your coolant tank with way lube.
    Great tip!

Did you notice there's a setting for the lube pump off timer so it only counts when the axis are moving. It's unchecked from the factory so the lube pump will cycle every five minutes (default setting on my genos) whether or not the axis are moving. I usually check it when doing a long setup so the lube tank doesn't empty itself into the coolant tank. The apps guy that trained me on my captain lathe checked the setting and I didn't realize it. I ended up getting some corrosion on the x axis from coolant so now I usually leave the setting unchecked most of the time.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MK Proto View Post
    Well count me in. Ordered Tuesday, Hit the floor last night. Setup is this coming Tuesday..
    Congratulations! Nice looking machine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    Congratulations! Nice looking machine.
    Thanks.

Barley had time to get my tooling order in with how fast the machine was delivered. I can say the Gosiger here in Pa was great to deal with.

On a side note. The tinfoil pallet made things interesting getting the machine off the pallet when it was crumpling. Thank god for good riggers.