What's new
What's new

What drill size do you use for form tapping M8?

Finegrain

Diamond
Hi guys,

I'm looking at my tooling for M8 (standard 1.25mm pitch) form tapping, and am having some trouble deciding what drill to use. The form tap drill size chart I use says that a 65% thread needs a 7.45mm drill. That's hard-to-find metric size, and is right in between L and M letter drills. L (.290") would be ~73% thread, and M (.295") would be 60% thread.

Regards.

Mike

Depends on the material, and maybe even the lube.

In 6061 with oil, I have ran all the way down to [max] pitch D on drills all day long in a multi-spindle screw machine.

If you are in 17-4, something a wee bit bigger may be a good idea.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

FWIW Maritool chart lists m8x1.25 at a letter "M" drill. .2950"

Probably because that's the nearest commonly available drill size. "M" would be slightly less than 60% thread, IF it drilled right on-size. I usually see a little oversize hole in 1018 -- if the "M" makes a .001" oversize hole, that's going to be only ~55% thread.

Regards.

Mike

Probably because that's the nearest commonly available drill size. "M" would be slightly less than 60% thread, IF it drilled right on-size. I usually see a little oversize hole in 1018 -- if the "M" makes a .001" oversize hole, that's going to be only ~55% thread.

Regards.

Mike

Understood, I am not well educated in form threading at that level. What chart do you have that calculates the percentage of thread engagement? That would be handy to have!

Doo to the "M" formation of a formed thread, your 55% formed thread is not nearly as strong as a 55% cut tapped hole.

Just so's y'all understand that.

Most ref to formed threads are really ref to "rolled" threads on the OD, which are rolled up to full crest, and yes, those are stronger than cut.

But a "formed" ID thread is seldom ever near "crest", and thus has a hole in the middle..

It doesn't take much to strip out low % ID formed threads.

BTDT and I don't use form taps nearly as much as I did 20 yrs ago.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ponder what your actual hole size is.
If like me you are mowing into stuff, the hole can be slightly oversize, so on the small tapped holes I do in 6061 I use a very particular slightly undersized drill.

So if you were center drilling, peck drilling and running slow and careful, maybe an on size drill if good. IF you are blasting in 10000 holes and want to get through it, you can run couple thou under and your actual hole diameter will end up where you want it
Anyway, ponder the difference between drill size and hole size, as it matters in roll taps

Regards.

Mike

Assuming that the hole drills 0.001" oversize - a 7.4 mm drill will put you within 0.001" of your target hole size erroring in the minus direction.

It looks like both McMaster and MSC carry HSS 7.4mm drills at $5ish a pop - so no worries about expensive carbide tools.

Back