What's new
What's new

What Fanuc 0i controller parameter to stop annoying function.

Jaxian

Stainless
When I got my Doosan mill the tech asked me if I wanted him to change a function that people found very annoying. I had no experience with Fanuc and said "sure whatever". He changed it in 30 seconds and I never thought of it again.

My Hyundai lathe does this same thing and it is driving me up the wall. No clue how to change it. Was hoping maybe you guys could help me out with the correct parameter/s to change it.

As delivered if you hit a limit it pops up the overtravel alarm and you can then back away from it. At that point you can't move back in the original direction until you clear the alarm with Reset button.

This leads to a lot of forward/back/reset repeat when trying to see where the travel limit is for some setup or task. Very annoying.

His change makes it so when you get the original alarm you only need to back up so it is not in overtravel and it automatically clears the alarm and you can move forward again no extra button hitting and no change to the controller screen or state. So you can creep up on the limit with the MPG or Jog very easily in small increments while watching the machine and not looking at the control.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

P.S. I would ask the tech but he is no longer with Ellison and not presently findable. He had a Masters in EE and was VERY software savvy so knew a lot of little tricks so finding it hard to find this.

Should be 1301.4 (OF1). Set to 1 to cancel OT alarm automatically.

I just watch the machine position display when I am creeping up on the limits...

Finally got a chance to mess around with the lathe to try these out. They kind of work.

One thing different on the 0i-TC from the 0i-MF on the Doosan is the screen and how it displays alarms. On the Doosan it's a little window at the bottom of the color display in red writing. Alarms appear and when they are cleared it just removes the text from the box.

On the 0i-TC, small monochrome screen, when it alarms it blanks to an Alarm screen and shows the alarm text. When you clear the alarm the text goes away but it stays on a now blank Alarm screen and you have to re-select your previous mode (EDIT, POS, MDI, etc.), to see that screen again. Part of the pita thing I am trying to get around.

So by changing 1301.4 OF1 to 1 you get half of it. Issue is unless you change 1300.7 BFA also it disables the auto alarm clear of 1301.4. So you have to change them both to see something happen.

What happens now is if you hit the overtravel it gives the alarm screen with the normal text. If you back up it clears the text and you can move forward again until you trigger the overtravel alarm again.

Unfortunately it does not put you back on your originally selected screen, you are looking at the blank Alarm screen. Also I noticed the little red LED light marked alarm doesn't go out unless you hit the Reset button. Didn't get to check but I am assuming it wouldn't let me actually run anything with the alarm on even if there is nothing displayed on the alarm screen.

So yes it allows you to play around near the limits without having to hit reset every time you trigger one. But you will have to hit reset and re-select your original screen when it's time to actually do something.

Interesting, thanks for any input guys.

I do not have access to an 0i parameter manual to see what it is on that control, but on a 16i, parameter 3111 bit 7 set to 1 will stop the screen from switching to the Alarm page when an alarm occurs. Have a look in your 0i manual and see if it is the same parameter.

I do not have access to an 0i parameter manual to see what it is on that control, but on a 16i, parameter 3111 bit 7 set to 1 will stop the screen from switching to the Alarm page when an alarm occurs. Have a look in your 0i manual and see if it is the same parameter.

Dead on Vanc. I just checked the 0i Parameter book and in fact 3111.7 NPA is : Action taken when an alarm is generated or when an operator message is entered.

0: The display shifts to the alarm or message screen.
1: The display does not shift to the alarm or message screen.

That is great. I will give it a try as soon as I can get back to the machine. Thanks Vanc.

I disabled that one on my Oi's as well. I got tired of the display changing every time you call a M00.

I disabled that one on my Oi's as well. I got tired of the display changing every time you call a M00.

That's an interesting behavior. When it executed an M0, did the alarm screen have a message?

I've never worked on an 0i control, but on other Fanuc controls, the machine builder would have had to write logic in the ladder to set an A address bit on when M0 when executed to generate an alarm condition. My guess is that it also is the case for the 0i series.

That's an interesting behavior. When it executed an M0, did the alarm screen have a message?

I've never worked on an 0i control, but on other Fanuc controls, the machine builder would have had to write logic in the ladder to set an A address bit on when M0 when executed to generate an alarm condition. My guess is that it also is the case for the 0i series.
It didn't go to the alarm message page, it would go to the operator message page. I don't use operators messages, so it was just a blank screen.

It didn't happen on M01, just M00.

Since it went to the operator message screen, that is a sure indication that the builder's ladder was creating that behavior. BTW, the operator message screen is "related" to the alarm screen. It's a place for the builder to display messages regarding what's going on with the machine. In the case of your machine no message just meant that the builder included logic to set an A address bit, but did not create a message to be displayed.

On this subject I'd like to know what parameter in a Faqnuc Oi-TC or -TD eliminates the annoying insertion of spaces between lines every time you upload a program from the control. If you edit offline and download it back to the control without taking the time to edit back to single-spaced lines, it will display triple-spaced. And so on. WTF possible purpose is there for such idiocy?

...In the case of your machine no message just meant that the builder included logic to set an A address bit, but did not create a message to be displayed.
AFAIK it works with system variable #3006, you can put any message in that you want. Clear chips, flip part- whatever you want the operator to do.

On this subject I'd like to know what parameter in a Faqnuc Oi-TC or -TD eliminates the annoying insertion of spaces between lines every time you upload a program from the control. If you edit offline and download it back to the control without taking the time to edit back to single-spaced lines, it will display triple-spaced. And so on. WTF possible purpose is there for such idiocy?
I think it's a remnant from the tape punch days.

0100.2 and 0100.3 control how the LF's and CR's are output. The 2 parameters combine to 3 different combinations- LF only, CR+LF, and LF+CR+CR.

Then it gets to your comm program, which interprets the CR's or LF's as EOB's and adds a blank line, when it goes back to the control it inserts the EOB.

That's my guess anyway...;)

Hey guys, I just had a chance to try the parameter Vanc suggested and it works perfectly.

So 3111.7 NPA set to 1 makes it act just like the Doosan and set and clears alarms. There is a flashing box that pops up during alarms and you can hit the Message button so it's not like I won't be able to see them if I have one I need to actually look at.

The other part of that was the red LED on the operator controls part where it says alarm does light up. It doesn't turn off unless you hit Reset. BUT, contrary to my guess it actually makes no difference to the function of the machine. It was more than happy to run programs or MDI with the red light on. I guess it's a Hyundai thing that it triggers and just turns the light on and off and has no effect on machine function.

Thanks guys that was fantastic to get all worked out. I never would have found them myself paging through the Parameters manual like I was planning to.

Here is the list of the changed parameters for future reference.

1300.7 BFA set to (forgot, will look and EDIT)
1301.4 OF1 set to 1
3111.7 NPA set to 1

Back