What's new
What's new

What Kind of Face Mill is This?

Really? And not even done right.
Not so good face knurl in my world Note top to bottom pattern.
I would be screaming upset with this part to be shipped to a customer.
The process is simple and can be done with a face mill or flycutter.
Bob

Bob, how would you do this with a face mill? I had actually posed that question earlier in the year and you responded to that thread. But if I remember correctly, it was along the lines of tilting the machining table, which is not a viable solution. If there was a face mill I could purchase with a specific insert I could buy off the shelf (instead of grinding one myself), that would be the ideal solution.

TPG-321 or less rad and a whole lot of feed and maybe leave all but one pocket empty if the feed rate higher than your machine can handle
Feed per tooth and a geometry in the cutter and insert that can cut a groove.
One can not do this with APKT or SPKN since it has a flat on the bottom.
You need a proud tip that makes the groove shape you want.
Tilting the head has to do with if you want the trailing "crisscross" grooves or not.

Cheapo TPG cutters are hated for many reason and rough finish is one. Here you want rough finish and feed them crazy, insane fast.
The feed per tooth is your pattern, shape of the cutting edge presented and its tail is the shape of the groove.
Bob

TPG-321 or less rad and a whole lot of feed and maybe leave all but one pocket empty if the feed rate higher than your machine can handle
Feed per tooth and a geometry in the cutter and insert that can cut a groove.
One can not do this with APKT or SPKN since it has a flat on the bottom.
You need a proud tip that makes the groove shape you want.
Tilting the head has to do with if you want the trailing "crisscross" grooves or not.

Cheapo TPG cutters are hated for many reason and rough finish is one. Here you want rough finish and feed them crazy, insane fast.
The feed per tooth is your pattern, shape of the cutting edge presented and its tail is the shape of the groove.
Bob

Thank yoh Bob. Do I need a certain angle face mill? If you could recommend some specific products, it would be appreciated. I’m sure the manufacturer would be happy :D

What do you want the grovve to look like or profile.
Lets take to ultimate cheap TPG holder with a .006 rad tool in it.
90 front edge, small rad and a leadout on the back side.
30 or 45 on both walls of the groove not so easy and here is where you see custom flycutter or inserts.
It is not that I want this pattern, also what shape do I want this pattern to have in the grooves.
It is not looks like sort of like this.
Bob

What do you want the grovve to look like or profile.
Lets take to ultimate cheap TPG holder with a .006 rad tool in it.
90 front edge, small rad and a leadout on the back side.
30 or 45 on both walls of the groove not so easy and here is where you see custom flycutter or inserts.
It is not that I want this pattern, also what shape do I want this pattern to have in the grooves.
It is not looks like sort of like this.
Bob

I've been using a 120-degree engraving bit to achieve the desired effect, so ideally I'd like to stay with that angle of groove. I'm only creating grooves that are 3-6 thou deep.

I used to do this all the time for a customer I previously worked at. Standard face mill with TPG insert with a small nose radius, only using one insert in the cutter body, then a specified RPM and feed to get the pattern you want. That particular customer wanted .100 overlap on passes. It created sort of a spirograph type effect, but in a line instead of a circle.

I used to do this all the time for a customer I previously worked at. Standard face mill with TPG insert with a small nose radius, only using one insert in the cutter body, then a specified RPM and feed to get the pattern you want. That particular customer wanted .100 overlap on passes. It created sort of a spirograph type effect, but in a line instead of a circle.

I thought I had tried this already, but I'll give it another shot.

Back