What Kind of Face Mill is This?
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default What Kind of Face Mill is This?

    He is using it to leave circular grooves in a face. Is this some sort of fly cutter? It looks asymetrical. Video: Face Milling

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    10,963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2560
    Likes (Received)
    7711

    Default

    Well, the video is almost useless, but it seems to be a flycutter body, perhaps with a specially ground tool to leave the desired pattern.

  3. Likes Mike1974, sdinzy liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Sorry, it's all I've got.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default

    Definitely some sort of one-insert fly cutter. I guess you fudge the chipload to equal the stepover you want?

    Youtube - How to Face Knurl with a Fly Cutter

  6. Likes Ethan Scott, sdinzy liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kinetiq View Post
    Definitely some sort of one-insert fly cutter. I guess you fudge the chipload to equal the stepover you want?

    Youtube - How to Face Knurl with a Fly Cutter
    I had never even heard that term before, face knurl. This is exactly what I was hoping to find, thank you kinetiq!

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    9,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    522
    Likes (Received)
    7883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kinetiq View Post
    Really? And not even done right.
    Not so good face knurl in my world Note top to bottom pattern.
    I would be screaming upset with this part to be shipped to a customer.
    The process is simple and can be done with a face mill or flycutter.
    Bob

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Really? And not even done right.
    Not so good face knurl in my world Note top to bottom pattern.
    I would be screaming upset with this part to be shipped to a customer.
    The process is simple and can be done with a face mill or flycutter.
    Bob
    Bob, how would you do this with a face mill? I had actually posed that question earlier in the year and you responded to that thread. But if I remember correctly, it was along the lines of tilting the machining table, which is not a viable solution. If there was a face mill I could purchase with a specific insert I could buy off the shelf (instead of grinding one myself), that would be the ideal solution.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    9,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    522
    Likes (Received)
    7883

    Default

    TPG-321 or less rad and a whole lot of feed and maybe leave all but one pocket empty if the feed rate higher than your machine can handle
    Feed per tooth and a geometry in the cutter and insert that can cut a groove.
    One can not do this with APKT or SPKN since it has a flat on the bottom.
    You need a proud tip that makes the groove shape you want.
    Tilting the head has to do with if you want the trailing "crisscross" grooves or not.

    Cheapo TPG cutters are hated for many reason and rough finish is one. Here you want rough finish and feed them crazy, insane fast.
    The feed per tooth is your pattern, shape of the cutting edge presented and its tail is the shape of the groove.
    Bob

  11. Likes sfriedberg liked this post
  12. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    TPG-321 or less rad and a whole lot of feed and maybe leave all but one pocket empty if the feed rate higher than your machine can handle
    Feed per tooth and a geometry in the cutter and insert that can cut a groove.
    One can not do this with APKT or SPKN since it has a flat on the bottom.
    You need a proud tip that makes the groove shape you want.
    Tilting the head has to do with if you want the trailing "crisscross" grooves or not.

    Cheapo TPG cutters are hated for many reason and rough finish is one. Here you want rough finish and feed them crazy, insane fast.
    The feed per tooth is your pattern, shape of the cutting edge presented and its tail is the shape of the groove.
    Bob
    Thank yoh Bob. Do I need a certain angle face mill? If you could recommend some specific products, it would be appreciated. I’m sure the manufacturer would be happy

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    9,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    522
    Likes (Received)
    7883

    Default

    What do you want the grovve to look like or profile.
    Lets take to ultimate cheap TPG holder with a .006 rad tool in it.
    90 front edge, small rad and a leadout on the back side.
    30 or 45 on both walls of the groove not so easy and here is where you see custom flycutter or inserts.
    It is not that I want this pattern, also what shape do I want this pattern to have in the grooves.
    It is not looks like sort of like this.
    Bob

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    What do you want the grovve to look like or profile.
    Lets take to ultimate cheap TPG holder with a .006 rad tool in it.
    90 front edge, small rad and a leadout on the back side.
    30 or 45 on both walls of the groove not so easy and here is where you see custom flycutter or inserts.
    It is not that I want this pattern, also what shape do I want this pattern to have in the grooves.
    It is not looks like sort of like this.
    Bob
    I've been using a 120-degree engraving bit to achieve the desired effect, so ideally I'd like to stay with that angle of groove. I'm only creating grooves that are 3-6 thou deep.

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston MA
    Posts
    1,152
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    538
    Likes (Received)
    1055

    Default

    I used to do this all the time for a customer I previously worked at. Standard face mill with TPG insert with a small nose radius, only using one insert in the cutter body, then a specified RPM and feed to get the pattern you want. That particular customer wanted .100 overlap on passes. It created sort of a spirograph type effect, but in a line instead of a circle.

  16. Likes sdinzy liked this post
  17. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SRT Mike View Post
    I used to do this all the time for a customer I previously worked at. Standard face mill with TPG insert with a small nose radius, only using one insert in the cutter body, then a specified RPM and feed to get the pattern you want. That particular customer wanted .100 overlap on passes. It created sort of a spirograph type effect, but in a line instead of a circle.
    I thought I had tried this already, but I'll give it another shot.

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Se Ma USA
    Posts
    1,861
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    150
    Likes (Received)
    1015

    Default

    Reminds me of this. But this is done by hand. Duck breast.
    20200301_170924.jpg


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •