What's new
What's new

what part-off tool for subspindle lathe

chip_maker

Stainless
Guys with sub spindle turning centers, what is your goto tool for part-off operations?

Using a .083w blade type tool now.

Looking for something a little more rigid and something that clamps the insert in.

Never been a fan of the push in blade type that I'm using now.

Would like to stay .094 or thinner.

Depends on the set-up. Chuck or Collet? Thickness of part? Material? Speed? Drop off or pinched? NEI.

R
Dead length collet chucks, qg65 main 16c sub, 1.5dia max, mostly pinched pickoff, a little 304 mostly 303, steel, alum.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I really, really like Iscar's tang grip. I use it almost exclusively for Parting and Grooving. Being able to put Chamfers and Radii on edges is important-to me.

But with your description, and only doing Parting, I think the Blade style is fine (though I hate them). They require a pretty tight set-up which it sounds like you have, at least you know enough to tighten it up if needed.

R

I really, really like Iscar's tang grip. I use it almost exclusively for Parting and Grooving. Being able to put Chamfers and Radii on edges is important-to me.

But with your description, and only doing Parting, I think the Blade style is fine (though I hate them). They require a pretty tight set-up which it sounds like you have, at least you know enough to tighten it up if needed.

R

I went over to these about 10 years ago and never looked back. No more missing inserts...ever. I use .084 wide inserts for every machine. One machine in particular parts off 1500-2000 SS pcs a day, every day, every week, every month. Clean, straight consistent cuts on a 50/50 mix of solid 1-1/8 dia to zero dia or 3/16.

I went over to these about 10 years ago and never looked back. No more missing inserts...ever. I use .084 wide inserts for every machine. One machine in particular parts off 1500-2000 SS pcs a day, every day, every week, every month. Clean, straight consistent cuts on a 50/50 mix of solid 1-1/8 dia to zero dia or 3/16.
What holder are you using? They offer both integral shank and blades for the tang loc inserts.

What holder are you using? They offer both integral shank and blades for the tang loc inserts.

Square shank. Read above, I hate/loathe/dispise/fear/resent blade style tools.

R

The whole point is to add Rigidity. I see a lot of people struggle with dropping parts off. And it's as a result of lack of Rigidity, then I look at their Tools and find the cheap ass Sandvick press-in style blade type Tools. YOU know, the ones they give you for free, if you buy 10 inserts. Everyone knows. I say quit with the cheap option that is so close to the definition of junk it's hard to tell the difference. Good Tools are there. Add rigidity, don't tightrope it for a penny.

I have ran Manchester (now flying under the Widia name - but Kenna has owned them for decades) for 25 years.

I have seen the newer ones offered, and some of them have sparked some interest - wondering if it's "all that" or not?

The Manchester's that I run have replaceable blades and clamps, but it is still quite expensive.
On a 2.25"D capacity tool, a new blade and clamp could be $50 or so?
BUT - that's it, and you're all freshened up and good to go again. (insert yet of course)
And the blades can normally be flipped when one side gets buggard up - depending how bad....

But these one that have 4-5 pockets in them sure seem ... interesting....

The Iscar fella just stopped in a cpl weeks ago and I talked to him about the new cut-off's that they had for bigger bars - like 1 to 3".
He had one with 78mm bar capacity and had 4 pockets, but the new blade was maybe $190 I think? Sure we could prolly git it at less than MSRP, but still....
So - even if we doo git 4 go's at it, I'm still at almost $50 per crash, but the reality is that when you blow a cut-off on 2" material, many times - there is a 1" radius in the end of your blade/clamp where your tool use'ta be. By the looks of things, your adjacent pockets still need to at least sorta be there to be able to index the 4/5 position blades, and so - it is quite possible to git only, or at least less than 4 (5) edges per multi-position blade.

This is not so much the case on <1" material. Blowing a cut-off in 3/4" stock mostly seems to blow the insert, and may likely damage the hardware, but not completely devour the whole end, thus being able to index the unit and continue.

But trying to cut off 2.5" 304SS - when that insert takes a Shiite, you will be losing some hardware.

To answer the Q about what holder for subs, depending on the machine, but I either have two cut-off's in the machine (LH and RH) or in one machine I actually built my own holder that will take either LH or RH 2.25" capacity Manchester hardware.

57_d63ddb88-f9db-4b16-bd53-fe53c510a116_580x.jpg

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I ended going up with the Widia modular with a .125 wide insert, like you got there Ox.

Just a little smaller, this machine takes 3/4 shank tools. I believe it will cut 1.625 dia.

I like the idea of replacing a blade and or a clamp as opposed to a whole holder, and ordered a couple extras for backup jic.

We pull with the sub and more often than not, cut off to a drilled or finished hole, so for now a cutoff only tool will work for us.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Back