What's new
What's new

What quick change tool holder is this?

Quantumgrafx

Plastic
Ok this is for the machinist gods out there. I’m selling my old Manual Lagun mill and have replaced it with a NC that I’m converting to CNC. But the new to me mill came with a QC tool holder. I think it’s a 40? But which one? I only ever used R8 collets so any help would be much appreciated. Binged the number but no luck. Part # 430001
F16F69B1-C867-49EE-B45D-623C4E62DD7E.jpg13EF68BB-C977-4EDB-8EEC-56D943014558.jpg

I'll 2nd on Kwik Switch. with the spindle locked will it rotate counter clockwise. or try pressing that pin inside and the outside should snap rotate back

Think you will find thats a quick change or QC, my mills a QC30 taper, in there you should have 2 spindle - tool drive keys like cat or bt 30 tools, 2 ejection lugs near the spindle then the 2 clamp lugs on the top holding the tool holder in, when you rotate that nut the other way the clamp lugs then stop over the drive keys, hence the tool holder flange does not need or have the extra slots in it like a Kuick switch flange tool does in the above pic. Just accuratly controled flanges unlike plain tooling flanges

All the Kwik Switch 200 and 300 have notches around to grip on. This one is smooth on top with knurling. It is spring loaded and does snap back if you rotate it.

The U with the square is the logo for Universal Tool which became the Tooling Systems Division of Develig-Sunstrand. Pretty sure it's a Kwik Switch Spindle.

The "nut" on my KS200 spindle has the U logo then the part number 805043 stamped in it.

The nut has both knurling and vertical notches for a spanner.

Ed.

There are two version of Kwik Switch Spindles AFAIK- Kwick Switch and Kwick Switch II. My TSD catalogs only go back to 1985 or so and are all KS II.
All the KS II part numbers start with "8", but I an not sure about earlier versions. Yes the KSII all have the vertical notches in the OD for a spanner wrench, but I do have a KS 50NMTB to 300KS that does not- only the round spanner holes. I'll check the nut for a part number and see.

If anyone is interested- here are the applicable patent numbers for the KSII:

14 3,829,109 Full-Text TOOL HOLDER WITH SPRING OPERATED NUT
15 3,730,540 Full-Text TOOL HOLDER WITH SPRING OPERATED NUT
16 3,663,028 Full-Text TOOL HOLDER WITH SPRING OPERATED NUT

There are two version of Kwik Switch Spindles AFAIK- Kwick Switch and Kwick Switch II. My TSD catalogs only go back to 1985 or so and are all KS II.
All the KS II part numbers start with "8", but I an not sure about earlier versions. Yes the KSII all have the vertical notches in the OD for a spanner wrench, but I do have a KS 50NMTB to 300KS that does not- only the round spanner holes. I'll check the nut for a part number and see.

If anyone is interested- here are the applicable patent numbers for the KSII:

14 3,829,109 Full-Text TOOL HOLDER WITH SPRING OPERATED NUT
15 3,730,540 Full-Text TOOL HOLDER WITH SPRING OPERATED NUT
16 3,663,028 Full-Text TOOL HOLDER WITH SPRING OPERATED NUT

Ok now I feel like I walked in the room and someone shut off the light. So would KSII be the 300 version. Anyone have a picture of a KS I. From what I’m reading the 200 is different and not as plentiful as the 300.

Ok Wayne at UNIVERSAL / DeVlieg Inc. nailed it down its a 30MM Quick Change spindle nose. So Adama was right wish I had a prize for him! Thanks everyone for your input!

There are 4 sizes of KS tapers as far as I'm aware- 100,200,300 and 400, with the 100 being the smallest and 400 being the largest. The 200 was pretty common series 1 Bridgeports, Hurco KM,KMB1 Knee mills etc. The taper and lock keys are the same for KS or KSII.

100s are kinda rare, 200s are pretty common but pricey, and Most times, you cant give 300's and 400's away unless you find someone with an urgent need. I have a pretty good collection of new unused 300 stuff that is surplus to my needs.

Google Collis tool company- they still offer KS tooling new .

Universal DeVlieg products

Hello all, just to throw my hat in the ring of this information. Fact Universal makes more than just tool holders for Kwikswitch 100,200,300 or 400 The part number on the outer nut is 430001 correct same as mine on my mill. But mine is manufactered to fit an Erickson Quick Change. “The description of the item is a DA180 double angle collet chuck assembly,
stub nose type with a #30MM Erickison quick-change taper shank.”. This is the info I got from Universal/DeVlieg. They are still in business right here in Saginaw Michigan. My mill came with a tool holder installed and as soon as I figured out how to release it the part number from Kennametals was etched into it. Qc30da188206. So beware of anyone who says. “That looks like ____ or ___ “Because its the shape of the tabs and the depth of the flange that matters. Ie kwikswitch has two knobs for a flange and Erickison has two slots in the flange.
I hope this helps with the information not speculation.
Anything else I can help with let me know. I have mesurements of the flange, slots ect.

Back