What's new
What's new

What is a solid, affordable used vertical cnc for under $50?

Houndogforever

Hot Rolled
I'm thinking a couple years out, but between opting for bigger name, ie Okuma, Mazak, Mori as compared to a newer, but not as big a name?

What about age? I just bought a 1988 lathe but I don't do much turning. I want Brother dependability but probably a 40 taper.

I have an old 1993 Fadal and I'm just getting tired of never knowing if it is going to finish the week or not. Earlier this week, a buss fuse blew. No big deal, but damn, just another thing.

I could use anything from a 20" to 30" X travel.

Anyway, if you were looking for this mystery mill, what would you look for? I tend to keep machines a long time so it can't be a no-name.

well, you're probably going to have to spend more than $50.

There, now having gotten that out of the way, you're probably going to be looking for something a little older, right? Probably the most important thing to consider is the control, and you're going to need someone local who can work on it. I've never been a fanuc fan, but as far as finding parts and people who can work on them, probably your best bet.

There are a lot on evilbay. Some old mazaks and Okumas. but I know nothing about them.

I have to think something less than 12 years old just for my sanity.

There are a lot on evilbay. Some old mazaks and Okumas. but I know nothing about them.

I have to think something less than 12 years old just for my sanity.

So many variables man.
I would think first and foremost: parts/support? Who is in your area? Are they any good?
Secondly? What do you know? Are you Fanuc savvy? Okuma savvy? The OSP can be a bit of a different beast. Especially coming from a Fadal.

Fanuc has pretty much the best parts availability in the industry. But, it can also be a royal bitch to deal with if you don't know how.

Basically, no point buying a Makino, if the nearest Makino dealer is 500 miles away.
I have heard so many horror stories of machines being down for months because service was a nightmare.
Just Wed. had a guy in my shop telling me they had a Robodrill that sat for months waiting for Methods to do something that should have been simple (adding an amp to drive a 4th I think?).

Honestly, coming from a Fadal, is there a reason haas isn't on your list? Yea, I hate them as much as the next guy. But, they still make money.

Don't you have a Speedio already?

Yeah, we have a speedio. I'm even thinking maybe a S500 10,000rpm 14 tool base machine.
If I need 16K or rotary, I have that on the S700x1

I'm just concerned that not having a 40 taper might limit the future.

As to controls, I've run fadal, Fanuc 5T, Fanuc OT on the Hardinge, Mitsubishi control on a puma 8S, and the brother machine.
It's just the intricacies mostly, G code is g code, plus a few twists.

Oh, and as to Haas, meh. I'm not that impressed with their pricing deals usually, and keeping a Haas for more than 15 years seems..... like saving PokeMon cards for retirement.

Is there a K or a comma and three zeros missing on that $50?
Yes I have seen VMCs and even bigger horizontal Mazaks go for actual $50 dollars at auctions but you have to rig it out.
Could have got 8 of them for this price and kick myself. Never sold, no bid and went with the building as salvage.
Sorry thing being that they where in excellent shape and big dollar regular maintenance done.
Bob

I'm concerned that not having a 40 taper might limit the future.

Oh, and as to Haas, meh. I'm not that impressed with their pricing deals usually, and keeping a Haas for more than 15 years seems..... like saving PokeMon cards for retirement.

In red ^^^^^: I agree 100%!

As for haas? One thing I am glad I have understood from day one: nobody, and I mean nobody, retires off the price of iron.
Supplement? Maybe. Dirt? Yes. Bricks & mortar? Yes. Iron? Nope, not ever gonna happen.
Having said that, my most profitable machine is a haas. And it is the one I hate the most. Go figure!

I would buy on condition, not age.

I like Fanuc a lot. I like the reliability, ease of repair (if they ever need it) and primary reason- all the Fanuc techs I know are sharp motherfuckers while the other ones not so much.

Haas people like to rely on mother Haas to bail them out. Fine for a newer machine and big budget, but my experience with older Haas's and DIY is pretty bad. Haas repair info SUCKS. And Haas's need repaired. Often.

I was looking for a clean Mori SV series when I was offered the Kitamura I bought.

Not trying to retire off the iron. More likely I want my son to have solid dependable equipment that can last for 10 years after I retire.

Not trying to retire off the iron. More likely I want my son to have solid dependable equipment that can last for 10 years after I retire.

Good plan! Like Garwood, I vote Fanuc something. Lots of solid iron to choose from.
Sharp, Hardinge/Bridgeport, YCM are the first ones that pop in my head.

My Okuma/Howa lathe with Fanuc control (2001) has been the most reliable machine I've owned.
Short of batteries, It has not cost me one single penny.

Back