What's new
What's new

What tool to drill AND bore 5/8 hole??

mmurray70

Stainless
Have a job where I need to drill and bore some 5/8 holes about 1" deep in delrin. Would like to do this with one tool to save time and toolchanges.

What would you guys recommend? Any solid carbide tools designed to do this? May just try it with a 2FL endmill, but wondering if there is something better out there?

You can drill and bore on a lathe with an indexable drill no problem, but on a mill? I don't follow.

Maybe describing what you need the end result to be? If a through hole maybe a dreamer would do it? Otherwise 2fl EM sounds like a winner if it will do better than a drill for ya.

This will be on a lathe. I guess im looking at 1/2" tool or so. Ive never had much luck with indexables smaller then 3/4". You think it could work?

What about something like this? Single flute endmill? Plunge in on center and then bore to size? McMaster-Carr

I did exactly that (same material also) once on a lathe but it was out of necessity rather than by choice - I ended up using a nice, sharp HSS endmill instead of carbide and it worked out really well for that job.

Ceratizit Ecocut/WNT Ecocut/Arno Sharkcut would be my first choice, preferably with a ground uncoated insert, that is what I normally use for any holes above 10mm diameter and within the depth the drills can do.

I'd use either a 12mm or 14mm 2.25xD version, I'd bet there is a 5/8" version available too in which case you could probably do the hole in a single pass.

Just use a HSS drill. What is the tolerance you need to hold on the size?
Is it a thru hole? Or a 1" deep blind hole?

I recommend this tool, It’s awesome in aluminum and would be great in delrin:
d6880bdc0ead049de0bfe4e20cca2782.jpg

Back