What's new
What's new

What type of vmc is good for machining steel spherical balls (used)

Adams Omoloye

Plastic
Please I need some help.
I want to start the production of steel spaceframe spherical ball nodes with sizes ranging from 75mm to 400 diameter, which requires Facing, drilling, and tapping at angles around the sphere. I found out in a youtube video from around 1:40 minutes ( Space frame 1 - YouTube ) that showed a 5 axis vertical machining center is used for the job, so I want to buy one.
This is going to be my first CNC Machine so, I'm not a machinist, I'm only well experienced in general steel fabrication and that's it.
My budget is $50,000 so I'm thinking of a used machine, and it will be used in Nigeria. please what do you think? I really don't have any experience in this field, thank you.

Please I need some help.
I want to start the production of steel spaceframe spherical ball nodes with sizes ranging from 75mm to 400 diameter, which requires Facing, drilling, and tapping at angles around the sphere. I found out in a youtube video from around 1:40 minutes ( Space frame 1 - YouTube ) that showed a 5 axis vertical machining center is used for the job, so I want to buy one.
This is going to be my first CNC Machine so, I'm not a machinist, I'm only well experienced in general steel fabrication and that's it.
My budget is $50,000 so I'm thinking of a used machine, and it will be used in Nigeria. please what do you think? I really don't have any experience in this field, thank you.

I am not sure you can purchase a 5X machine capable of 400mm diameter for the $50,000.00
I would think you would be looking at a minimum of 50-75K for an older (possibly clapped out) used machine. The tooling and fixturing would be another $$$$.

Best of luck Sir.

I know this isn't helpful and probably not the solution you want, also certainly not fast if you're doing any larger quantity...

... but you can put an indexer on a bridgeport type knee mill and tilt the head to whatever angle you need. Bam, instant 5 axis mill.

Totally doable, but not fast. Cheap, though.

I am not sure you can purchase a 5X machine capable of 400mm diameter for the $50,000.00
I would think you would be looking at a minimum of 50-75K for an older (possibly clapped out) used machine. The tooling and fixturing would be another $$$$.
No problem. There was a 5 axis KT 200 floating around LA in good shape asking $12,000 for ages. Only problem is, maintaining a 1980 control is not for the faint of heart.

Don't I remember Ox having a bigger Ex-Cell-O with five axes for similar money ?

Same problem tho, older control.

There's a newer RAM 630 floating around with 5 axes but a bit more money, probably run 80 to 100 delivered.

There's those five axis Monarchs with trunnion tables that should work, too, and they often go for cheap.

Could be done but it won't be pickanick. But then, nothing ever is ....

So what are you making in Nigeria? I would be hesitant because of IP transfer restrictions (remember Toshiba?).

I think your best route is to build one. Ask rajhlinux, he'll tell you how...............:dopeslap:

:D

Hire somebody to build a good fixture, put in first feature, rotate the ball to different positions, no need to tilt heads or need more than 2.5 axes. Hell of a lot cheaper and quicker.

Hire somebody to build a good fixture, put in first feature, rotate the ball to different positions, no need to tilt heads or need more than 2.5 axes. Hell of a lot cheaper and quicker.

that would work if the angles would be the same, but since the primary use is architectural for these, and you know how architects are with these things, the angles would be all over the place

don't need 5X machine for this still, but 2 axis rotary table would be really useful for these, could probably buy couple 3X VMCs and such rotaries for a price of a decent 5X

the only "problem" here is - I'm getting very strong rajhlinux vibes here...

Allow me to ask a pragmatic question - why not flattened or forged tube ends with holes for bolted nodes? Dramatically easier to produce, more flexible about adding or moving node points and angles, vastly cheaper startup costs, and much faster and easier to install on site.

Sure, not as chic as a proper machined ball node, but you could have pressed aluminum or steel slotted hemispheres that act as covers for the nodes, giving the same effect at again, dramatically lower cost and easier installation. A simple back strap will hold it in place, the biggest issue might be shaping or perforating the hemisphere to not catch rain or condensate and become a rust origin.

Just my $.0002 (see, even the advice is cheaper this way).

Best of luck Sir.

Now I see that with my 400 Dia ball target, I Was aiming too high with a low budget, lol.
The Truth is most of the jobs we do, for now, would not require a machine that big, maybe we should be looking at something a bit smaller, That can handle like 250mm dia balls, Maximum.

Well, now I know that 50k can't get you a good 5x machine capable of doing what we want. I have to think of a way out, I read here that we could build one!

Thank you doug925.

I just watched the video? Looks like a large 3 axis with a 4th axis rotating indexing table?
I could be wrong but I thought a five axis meant the spindle tilted and rotated around the part?
The end result is the same but the machine may be way less expensive.

What are these parts used for?

I checked the Bridgeport option, and you're right, it's gonna work, But as you said, it's not going to be fast, and I'm also adding that it's not gonna be accurate enough, and these space frames nodes, needs to be very accurate to fit with each other. ;)

No problem. There was a 5 axis KT 200 floating around LA in good shape asking $12,000 for ages. Only problem is, maintaining a 1980 control is not for the faint of heart.

Don't I remember Ox having a bigger Ex-Cell-O with five axes for similar money ?

Same problem tho, older control.

There's a newer RAM 630 floating around with 5 axes but a bit more money, probably run 80 to 100 delivered.

There's those five axis Monarchs with trunnion tables that should work, too, and they often go for cheap.

Could be done but it won't be pickanick. But then, nothing ever is ....

An old control is obviously not a good idea for a newbie like me lol.

Monarchs with trunnion Tables ... I would also consider this option, but are you talking about new or used?

I just watched the video? Looks like a large 3 axis with a 4th axis rotating indexing table?
Watch again, it's a 5 axis trunnion table.

If this is serious, older 5 axis horizontals are out there for cheap and that Monarch vertical could be good as well, there's older cheap ones of those too. The problem will be maintaining the control, especially on crappy electricity. Maybe a LinuxCNC retro .... and go for Gettys drives, those are solid and serviceable. 400 mm is no problem.

That is, if this is a serious request.

So what are you making in Nigeria? I would be hesitant because of IP transfer restrictions (remember Toshiba?).

I think your best route is to build one. Ask rajhlinux, he'll tell you how...............:dopeslap:

:D

We're making steel structure ball nodes for architectural purposes.
Well, I Don't think I would have any Problem with IP Transfer restrictions :), I hope not.

If building one is my route, then why not? :D Who is rajhlinux? the name sounds like a genius programmer ... ;)

Monarchs with trunnion Tables ... I would also consider this option, but are you talking about new or used?
You're not going to touch anything new for under $250,000.

Building your own, please don't start that.

Maybe could retrofit with a new Bendix for a cost that would be feasible. LinuxCNC would work but you have to know a lot more about machines than you seem to.

The Monarchs look like this

Used MONARCH PMC V750 | 35752 | Perfection Machinery Sales

They do come up occasionally, usually for pretty cheap. For some reason patriotic US people don't seem to like buying American.

Or buy this

CNC Machining Center - business/commercial - by owner - sale

add a commonly-available rotary table to get the fifth, retro it and have five axis for a price you can maybe afford. Sweat equity.

PM Ox, I could swear his Ex-Cell-O was set up for five .....

edit: now that I think of it, someone makes a drop-in replacement for the c control that that KT 800 uses. Don't know the price but should come in within your budget. The 800 is straightforward to work on.

So, possible. Not easy but possible.

Last edited:
Allow me to ask a pragmatic question - why not flattened or forged tube ends with holes for bolted nodes? Dramatically easier to produce, more flexible about adding or moving node points and angles, vastly cheaper startup costs, and much faster and easier to install on site.

Sure, not as chic as a proper machined ball node, but you could have pressed aluminum or steel slotted hemispheres that act as covers for the nodes, giving the same effect at again, dramatically lower cost and easier installation. A simple back strap will hold it in place, the biggest issue might be shaping or perforating the hemisphere to not catch rain or condensate and become a rust origin.

Just my $.0002 (see, even the advice is cheaper this way).

This advice isn't cheap, and you understand what I want to do, I do appreciate it. Most people prefer solid ball nodes, so I'll just do what I was avoiding, that is to import machined nodes from china.

Back