Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i am really limited to HP and RPM but i tried these mills 3 Flute SE 37° Hi-Performance End Mill F/Aluminum with Chipbreakers ZRN Coated by GWS and had really good results.
    I don't remember exact figures, but I called their tech support and used the info with great results.

2. Likes STEVEN7685 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have used the Maritool 1/2" serrated rougher and as others have said, you can really push it. The chips are very small though. I also use yg-1 alupower, but opposite issue with super long chips piling up like hay. I made a PVC "pusher stick" to shove them down the chute hole. Looks like the destiny diamondback would make the ideal size chip for roughing. I'm on a 10k Brother, and tried the shearhog, but it was insanely loud at 10k, sounded horrible. I think its better suited to low rpm (still loud thoug). For large widths/shallow cuts, the 2" ripper mill has been great and I've measured 4ra finish if that matters. If your spindle stalls that easy though.. dunno. BrotherFrank posted in another thread pushing crazy MRR with a Hanita tool, so I'm gonna check those out.

4. Likes STEVEN7685 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wsurfer View Post
    I have used the Maritool 1/2" serrated rougher and as others have said, you can really push it. The chips are very small though. I also use yg-1 alupower, but opposite issue with super long chips piling up like hay. I made a PVC "pusher stick" to shove them down the chute hole. Looks like the destiny diamondback would make the ideal size chip for roughing. I'm on a 10k Brother, and tried the shearhog, but it was insanely loud at 10k, sounded horrible. I think its better suited to low rpm (still loud thoug). For large widths/shallow cuts, the 2" ripper mill has been great and I've measured 4ra finish if that matters. If your spindle stalls that easy though.. dunno. BrotherFrank posted in another thread pushing crazy MRR with a Hanita tool, so I'm gonna check those out.
    We don't have a chip auger in our dinosaur. So we have to rake all of the chips out by hand. I have yet to run into an issue where chip size made that more difficult.

However, I have run into an issue with the chips not clearing a pocket and I get some re cutting. I hear that's a no no.

Our machine doesn't have air burst either. Just some really anemic coolant that reaches the tool easily enough, but not with much pressure to speak of. It wouldn't be difficult to rig and plumb some sort of air blast, but getting the control to operate it is a different story.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To be honest those YG1 Alupower endmills I only use for finishing because of the long ass chips. And boy do they leave a nice finish...I call them superfinishers.

You’re quite limited with spindle speed. Do yourself a favor and consider a 1” indexable facemill like the Kennametal Mill 1-10...I use that thing for roughing and it doesn’t eat up a ton of HP. Usually running about 7600rpm. Lol I run that tool with more aggressive cuts than your example cut, it can take .390 DOC all day. They have another aluminum specific ripper style mill.

And bc you’re so limited on hp a corncob might be good too, but at the same time you’re not really gonna be pushing ANY decent endmill anywhere near it’s limit. I usually recommend helical solutions 1/2” ZrN cutters because they’re good. Other ppl like to shit on them but they are good cutters. And not too pricey.

Kennametal KOR5 is good too

7. Likes STEVEN7685 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by metalmadness View Post
    To be honest those YG1 Alupower endmills I only use for finishing because of the long ass chips. And boy do they leave a nice finish...I call them superfinishers.

You’re quite limited with spindle speed. Do yourself a favor and consider a 1” indexable facemill like the Kennametal Mill 1-10...I use that thing for roughing and it doesn’t eat up a ton of HP. Usually running about 7600rpm. Lol I run that tool with more aggressive cuts than your example cut, it can take .390 DOC all day. They have another aluminum specific ripper style mill.

And bc you’re so limited on hp a corncob might be good too, but at the same time you’re not really gonna be pushing ANY decent endmill anywhere near it’s limit. I usually recommend helical solutions 1/2” ZrN cutters because they’re good. Other ppl like to shit on them but they are good cutters. And not too pricey.

Kennametal KOR5 is good too
    Kor5. 5 flute end mill for roughing aluminum?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This cutter from Hanita/Widia is very efficient. Should be great at your available rpm. Have removed about 8 cu"/hp with it in 6061. So a 5 hp machine should be able to take out about 40 cu"/min. DOC x WOC x IPM feedrate. Makes nice manageable chips too.

screenshot_20210321-152242_chrome.jpg

10. Likes STEVEN7685 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BROTHERFRANK View Post
    This cutter from Hanita/Widia is very efficient. Should be great at your available rpm. Have removed about 8 cu"/hp with it in 6061. So a 5 hp machine should be able to take out about 40 cu"/min. DOC x WOC x IPM feedrate. Makes nice manageable chips too.

screenshot_20210321-152242_chrome.jpg
    Is there a reason I should or shouldn't use hss in my cnc haas mill?

I was told like this. "Just don't do it"
    No real explanation.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by STEVEN7685 View Post
    We don't have a chip auger in our dinosaur. So we have to rake all of the chips out by hand. I have yet to run into an issue where chip size made that more difficult.

However, I have run into an issue with the chips not clearing a pocket and I get some re cutting. I hear that's a no no.

Our machine doesn't have air burst either. Just some really anemic coolant that reaches the tool easily enough, but not with much pressure to speak of. It wouldn't be difficult to rig and plumb some sort of air blast, but getting the control to operate it is a different story.

One of these hooked into the power for your coolant pump will let you have an air blast, they work good.
    Granzow E2B15 Timer Solenoid Valve - 1/4 | E2B15 1/4
    Timer Data
    On Time: Adjustable 1 to 15 seconds
    Off Time: Adjustable 1 to 45 minutes
    Voltage: 120 volt AC
    Indicators: LED
    Override: Manual
    DIN Connectors: Power cord or conduit connector
    Enclosure: Nema 4
    Drain Valve Data
    Connections: 1/4" NPT
    Max. Operating Pressure: 300 psig
    Orifice Size: 7/16"

13. Likes STEVEN7685 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I really like these cutters: 3/8" Dia x 1" Cut 3FL Aluma-Rough Carbide End Mill For Aluminum USA F22 — CarbideToolSource.com

As far as I can tell they cut every bit as good as the other manufacturers, at a lower cost. I quit buying ZRN roughers, as long as nobody lets the coolant get low or fails to tighen a pitbull clamp they last forever.

15. Likes STEVEN7685 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nevada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm new to CNC, but have had good luck with KOR5 end mills. I use the YG Aluma for finishing. Great finish. I don't know enough to compare to many other brands, but have had success. Only reason bought the KOR5 was because of the promotion price, pretty good deal even though kennametal seems to be bashed on around here...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is there a reason I should or shouldn't use hss in my cnc haas mill?

I was told like this. "Just don't do it"
    No real explanation. Why

That cutter is Powdered Metal (PM). Harder than hss and not as brittle as carbide. Great for 6061. The most efficient 1/2" rougher for 6061 I've seen. It's not just about the substrate. The geometry and the knuckle design plays in too.. Standard with Weldon notch so side lock end mill holder ready. Been running them about 15 years.

18. Likes STEVEN7685 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by T_Dubs View Post
    I'm new to CNC, but have had good luck with KOR5 end mills. I use the YG Aluma for finishing. Great finish. I don't know enough to compare to many other brands, but have had success. Only reason bought the KOR5 was because of the promotion price, pretty good deal even though kennametal seems to be bashed on around here...
    I certainly don't know enough to poo poo any tool manufacturer.

I'll just need to get the boss to pony up some dough to try some of these offerings that are being suggested.

Seems much more likely that he will bite on a $50 roughing end mill than a $300 shear hog that requires another $200 for a box of inserts.

Supposedly the korloy pro-x mill is comparable to a shear hog? I honestly couldn't say as have never used either.

However the pro-x mill offers a 1" cutter with 2 flutes and the shear hog line does not. Seems like the inserts ate comparable in price too, but I can buy the pro-x inserts in packs of 5, and it seems the shear hog inserts are sold in packs of 10?

What seems most sensible at this time is something we can get in to for cheap that loads the machine the least. But I suppose that's the golden goose that everyone is chasing?

Got lots of votes for the maritool rougher, and they are around $50 after shipping for the 1/2" variant. Ill bet I can get the boss to bite on those. That 3/8 rougher is cheap too! If it performs that may be great for us as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I really like the Helical 3FL ZRN endmills for roughing aluminum. I am taking 1.1" DOC, 45% radial, 20,000RPM and 650ipm in cast aluminum tooling plate. I am roughing about 90% of a 22" x 12" plate away and I can easily get 100+ plates before I even think of changing out the endmill, and I bet I could get a couple hundred more if I pushed it.

That is over 160 cubic inches/min by my calculation... makes a nice high pitched humming sound and fills up a 55-gallon chip bucket in minutes.

For finishing, I like the YG-1 3 flute alupower (or bright) endmills. They produce a nice finish and last a long time too.

21. Likes STEVEN7685 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SRT Mike View Post
    I really like the Helical 3FL ZRN endmills for roughing aluminum. I am taking 1.1" DOC, 45% radial, 20,000RPM and 650ipm in cast aluminum tooling plate. I am roughing about 90% of a 22" x 12" plate away and I can easily get 100+ plates before I even think of changing out the endmill, and I bet I could get a couple hundred more if I pushed it.

That is over 160 cubic inches/min by my calculation... makes a nice high pitched humming sound and fills up a 55-gallon chip bucket in minutes.

For finishing, I like the YG-1 3 flute alupower (or bright) endmills. They produce a nice finish and last a long time too.
    It sounds like you have quite the impressive machine Mike.

I know ours is weenie. But its also our entry to cnc machining. We figured if we're going to learn and break things it should be on a $5k machine, not a $200k one.

But I'll keep the tool recommendation in mind. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It sounds like you have quite the impressive machine Mike.

I know ours is weenie. But its also our entry to cnc machining. We figured if we're going to learn and break things it should be on a $5k machine, not a $200k one.

But I'll keep the tool recommendation in mind. Thanks

That's not my machine - something I programmed for a customer My machine is a Brother Speedio. I would have killed to have a 1992 VF2 when I got started. I started with a bridgeport I retrofitted a Mach3 control to. There were 2 other machines in between that and the Speedio.

The Helical endmills aren't particularly expensive and perform very well, same with the YG-1. I have tried some high-zoot endmills at high cost and have never found them to perform enough better than run-of-the-mill stuff to justify the price. I do find that corn-cob roughers (or the Helicals with the little cuts in them) reduce spindle load and work great in all machines, including ones like your VF-2.

24. Likes STEVEN7685 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cgrim3 View Post
    anybody here use Garr? I know they are the more affordable brand and have a reputation of not lasting as long but we always have good luck with them.
    I used garr alumistars when they 1st came out till just about 2 years ago. There great endmills only problem I had was the corners were breaking down quite fast. Using a sharp corner on 3/8 and 1/2 endmills. one of my customers said to try the niagra alum cutters, they worked great and no corner breakdown at all. they were more expensive than the garrs but they lasted 2-3 times longer. then someone mentioned s-carb and those things are fantastic, less pressure than the niagras , stay sharp longer than the niagras and cost less, than garr and niagra.
    The niagras have slightly more tool pressure then the garrs and the s-carbs have less then both garr and niagras.

we do a ton of facing and bottom floors with our 1/2 and 3/8s 1/4 etc etc endmills the s-carbs are probably the best slotting endmills That I have tried on full width and deep depths for 1/8, 3/16 and 1/4 sizes.

all those three brands I used in sharp corners and 3 flute.

26. Likes STEVEN7685 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does anyone have any opinion about using a square end, corner beake, or bull nose for roughing.

The advantages, or disadvantages of using one over the others?

Assuming your machining geometry allowed for any of them, which would you choose?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Destiny Diamondbacks with their black coating. We often run them at 14k rpm, .85" DOC (what the depth in the parts pockets we run a lot of), 50% stepover, and 275 IPM. They also leave a nice enough finish that we don't have to use a different tool for a cleanup pass that saves more time. I have tested a couple of other mills, the aluma-gator came close but not as good of a finish.

I did buy a bunch of Haas endmills when they had their new year's sale. Finish is good with them, but they are way louder in the Brother than a Destiny is. In the 560s, they are nice and quiet but they do seem to wear the corners faster.

29. Likes STEVEN7685 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does anyone have any opinion about using a square end, corner beake, or bull nose for roughing.

The advantages, or disadvantages of using one over the others?

Assuming your machining geometry allowed for any of them, which would you choose?

When geometry allows, use a bullnose. The bigger the radius, the better. The corners are stress points. Unless you do something stupid, it's always the corners of the endmill that chip out first. Put a radius instead, the endmill lasts longer.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kor5. 5 flute end mill for roughing aluminum?

Correct...it is limited to HEM/HSM machining, so long DOC, smaller width of cut. If you load it up on a slotting cut, you might snap the thing becasue the chip evac won't keep up. Its design looks like it would fail miserably with aluminum but it works well and thats what it was designed for.