What's new
What's new

When did FANUC 31i get USB?

Rick Finsta

Stainless
So I was programming an older (2005) Robodrill the other day and had to break out the CF card and PCMCIA adapter because it had the card slot but no USB up front. The panel has a little plug where the USB door cover usually is on newer controls.

Did this change when going to the 31i-B or was this MTB specific (like most things FANUC)?

AFAIK right from when it was released. I have a 30A series descriptions manual and it lists the USB port. It is a machine builder or buyer spec'd option though. Also, only available with the 10, 12, and 15 inch screen sizes per my manual.

Looking at the maintenance manual I saw that the headers are supposed to be there but then the operator's manual doesn't mention it at all that I saw, so I thought maybe it wasn't enabled until they went to the Model B or something.

Thanks!

Officially, the 30/31/32 got the USB when the went to the "B" model. I've never seen an "A" with one. When I worked at Doosan this was a big deal, as the 0's had it and the 30 series didn't.

So the 2004 30A series description manual is incorrect where it lists USB as a feature?

I believe it was premature. I had a Fanuc guy tell me there was some "bug" in the 30-A architecture that wouldn't allow the USB to work. The 30B has very different ladders and electronic architecture behind the scenes. And yes, the USB is only for up/download not running DNC - yet.

I believe some of it depends on the Builder. I programmed a 2011 Mori, Fanuc Oi-MD and it had a USB port to upload to the control or to the other ~1 gig hd.

I believe some of it depends on the Builder. I programmed a 2011 Mori, Fanuc Oi-MD and it had a USB port to upload to the control or to the other ~1 gig hd.

A straight lcd Fanuc like they had on a handful of Duraverticals? Or with the Mapps front-end and 0i standalone control unit in the back?

I see now you said 1gb hard drive, yeah you had Mapps.

Mapps then was a single board PC that interfaced with the control. The control did not have USB.

Back