What's new
What's new

Where can I get a call light bulb?

Jaxian

Stainless
Was just doing some minor fix it tasks on my lathe and was going to trouble shoot the call light which has never worked. It is a single color unit.

Took the cover off and realized the bulb was missing. Ok, looked at the electrical diagram it said 110v. I check the voltage at the machine and sure enough 110v - 120v.

It appears to be a BA15s bayonet socket. No clue on the wattage. I can find these online but is there any generic use for these where I can just go buy one? And what wattage?

Hate to have to special order a bulb online if it turns out they are for some real common use and are in stock locally.

Thanks for any help.

I don't know of a common use at 110V. That base size is used in some older cars for running lights and turn signals but of course 12V in those applications.

As far as wattage, that depends on how bright you want the light to be. I think ~10W would be plenty for me. I'd bet that the reason the bulb was gone is that it was too bright and annoying to have it flashing or on and someone popped it out.

Yeah they have the same physical form factor as automotive 1156 SCC single center contact bulbs. I found some on Newegg for like $5 and they are 10 watts. My VMC just turns on the amber light after a program finishes, I was a little surprised when checking the voltage that it was spiking like it was flashing. I could see that getting annoying in a shop if the bulb was too bright.

Just thought it might be like a bulb for some type of commercial lighting I hadn't heard of. Odd they would make it such a weird form/voltage combo.

I have seen that base style used in some ovens - microwaves, you just need to watch the wattage as some of thoes fixtures will melt if you go even slightly too high!

Well turned out the back side of the lamp where it isn't particularly visible had a sticker on it showing the manufacturer and model.

Made by Qlight and it's model S80. Checked their website (Qlight - Warning Light, Beacon, Audible & Visual Signal, Tower Light) and they appear to no longer make that exact model. They have S80U, S80L, S80R..etc, etc. all variants with LED, Halogen and other stuff. The standard bulb one not so much.

Turns out their US office is 15 miles away in San Jose so I just gave them a call. Four calls in it appears they are not strong on answering the phone. Message only.

I did find a .pdf that shows a T16x35 15S as a possible bulb. Would love to get a confirmation from them but no luck. Those are available in different voltages and watts so their must be more letters in the bulb type.

Just figured I would keep putting in what I find so it can help the next person.

McMaster has this LED variant. It's only 3.25 watts and cost $24 but the alternative is to order one from India, those are 10w and only cost $1.67. All the lighting places near me said no dice on that type of bulb.

McMaster-Carr

Back