Where does the term "U-Drill" come from?
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Aberdeen, UK
    Posts
    3,904
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1384
    Likes (Received)
    1585

    Default Where does the term "U-Drill" come from?

    Here in the UK it is the norm to call insert drills U-Drills.

    Specifically insert drills, not exchangeable head drills or spade drills.

    I've noticed that the term is rarely ever used on here, and incidentally, that "insert drill" seems to be used somewhat interchangeably between actual insert drills and exchangeable head drills, which sometimes causes confusion.

    For some reason, I found myself wondering where the term U-Drill actually comes from? Something to do with U axis? Something to do with having one (Uni) effective flute?

    Anyone know?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Country
    AFGHANISTAN
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    Here in the UK it is the norm to call insert drills U-Drills.

    Specifically insert drills, not exchangeable head drills or spade drills.

    I've noticed that the term is rarely ever used on here, and incidentally, that "insert drill" seems to be used somewhat interchangeably between actual insert drills and exchangeable head drills, which sometimes causes confusion.

    For some reason, I found myself wondering where the term U-Drill actually comes from? Something to do with U axis? Something to do with having one (Uni) effective flute?

    Anyone know?
    They call it the same in Norway. Being a newbie I asked my hired "teacher" the same question here the other week. Think it refers to the fact that its crossection resembles a U. A digression, but we also call it a "korthullsbor" (short hole drill).

    Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,436
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    398
    Likes (Received)
    640

    Default

    It stands for the sucking sound it makes as it empties your pocketbook.....

  4. Likes moonlight machine liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Posts
    4,883
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1291
    Likes (Received)
    2759

    Default

    I think (dangerous sometimes). U Drill was the common name for Sandvik's original Indexable Drill. Now known as the 880. That might be 100% wrong, but it sounds good.

    I refer to Drills with Indexable (multiple cutting edges) Inserts, as Indexable Drills. But, most people I know call them Insert Drills. Spade Drills are called that name, or should be, Interchangeable tip Drills are not Indexable. So that would be incorrect IMO.

    R

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,545
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    184
    Likes (Received)
    284

    Default

    It stands for:
    Unaffordable

  7. Likes moonlight machine, Garwood liked this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    270
    Likes (Received)
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    I think (dangerous sometimes). U Drill was the common name for Sandvik's original Indexable Drill. Now known as the 880. That might be 100% wrong, but it sounds good.



    R
    I have absolutely nothing to back it up but I too thought it has something to do with Sandvik

  9. Likes Jashley73 liked this post
  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,642
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3977
    Likes (Received)
    4143

    Default

    Here find an add about them:
    Coromant U

  11. #8
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,436
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    398
    Likes (Received)
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    I refer to Drills with Indexable (multiple cutting edges) Inserts, as Indexable Drills. But, most people I know call them Insert Drills. Spade Drills are called that name, or should be, Interchangeable tip Drills are not Indexable. So that would be incorrect IMO.

    R
    Watch me get on to my soapbox.......

    I call drills with little square or trigon inserts insert drills or indexable drills.
    Interchangeable tip drills-- modular drills or replaceble tip drills.
    Spade drills are spade drills because they are the next step up from a shovel........

    My $0.02.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    270
    Likes (Received)
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    Watch me get on to my soapbox.......


    Spade drills are spade drills because they are the next step up from a shovel........

    My $0.02.
    I do believe this is the next step up from a shovel and likely the most expensive drill I have.20200531_213222.jpg

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Posts
    4,883
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1291
    Likes (Received)
    2759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    I do believe this is the next step up from a shovel and likely the most expensive drill I have.20200531_213222.jpg
    Eeesh, we used to have Hundreds of those O&G bits all over. Different stages of disrepair, dismantled, mid operation, waiting for PO's, scrap.

  14. #11
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,436
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    398
    Likes (Received)
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    I do believe this is the next step up from a shovel and likely the most expensive drill I have.20200531_213222.jpg
    What's that, a dentist drill...??


    Seriously, is that a drill for fracking or something else?

  15. #12
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    421
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    119

    Default

    According to the book "Modern Metal Cutting" (written by Sandvik in 1996), Sandvik developed the "T-Max universal indexable insert drill" in the 1970s. I think the U stands for universal.

    One of the trade magazines (maybe it was Cutting Tool Engineering) did a good article a few years ago comparing solid carbide, replaceable tip, and indexable type drills to each other. They reviewed how each type has an advantage and disadvantage in certain situations.

  16. #13
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    270
    Likes (Received)
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    What's that, a dentist drill...??


    Seriously, is that a drill for fracking or something else?
    Yes its for gas, fracking.

  17. #14
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,436
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    398
    Likes (Received)
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    Yes its for gas, fracking.
    Made by Kennametal or Sandvik?

  18. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Posts
    4,883
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1291
    Likes (Received)
    2759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    Made by Kennametal or Sandvik?
    Did you forget your lunch? Remember safe boys wear Helmets okay? Don't let the other kids call you names. Is any of this familiar sounding?

  19. Likes Hardplates liked this post
  20. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    3,106
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7368
    Likes (Received)
    2627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    Did you forget your lunch? Remember safe boys wear Helmets okay? Don't let the other kids call you names. Is any of this familiar sounding?
    To be fair, it wouldn't surprise me if the carbide was made by Sandvik or Kennametal...

  21. #17
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,436
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    398
    Likes (Received)
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    Did you forget your lunch? Remember safe boys wear Helmets okay? Don't let the other kids call you names. Is any of this familiar sounding?
    Not until YOU came along.......

    You're spoiling for a fight, or what...??

  22. #18
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,436
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    398
    Likes (Received)
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jashley73 View Post
    To be fair, it wouldn't surprise me if the carbide was made by Sandvik or Kennametal...
    Which is what I was gettin' at.
    Because I know Kenna makes more money on mining-related stuff than cutting tools.
    Sandvik is a big player too (not the Coromant), screening machines as well as carbide for the drills themselves.
    We used to buy wear plate from a small company until THE BIG K bought them....

  23. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Posts
    4,883
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1291
    Likes (Received)
    2759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    Not until YOU came along.......

    You're spoiling for a fight, or what...??
    I didn't "come along". I've been a member here about 10 years. You "came along" thinking there might be goats wandering around.

    R

  24. #20
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,436
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    398
    Likes (Received)
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by litlerob1 View Post
    I didn't "come along". I've been a member here about 10 years. You "came along" thinking there might be goats wandering around.

    R
    That IS a good point.
    Though its actually 6.5 years, but whatever......

    You DOO want a fight, don't you. Well sorry, I'm gooooooooooooooone................................ .......


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •