What's new
What's new

Where does the term "U-Drill" come from?

gregormarwick

Diamond
Here in the UK it is the norm to call insert drills U-Drills.

Specifically insert drills, not exchangeable head drills or spade drills.

I've noticed that the term is rarely ever used on here, and incidentally, that "insert drill" seems to be used somewhat interchangeably between actual insert drills and exchangeable head drills, which sometimes causes confusion.

For some reason, I found myself wondering where the term U-Drill actually comes from? Something to do with U axis? Something to do with having one (Uni) effective flute?

Anyone know?

Here in the UK it is the norm to call insert drills U-Drills.

Specifically insert drills, not exchangeable head drills or spade drills.

I've noticed that the term is rarely ever used on here, and incidentally, that "insert drill" seems to be used somewhat interchangeably between actual insert drills and exchangeable head drills, which sometimes causes confusion.

For some reason, I found myself wondering where the term U-Drill actually comes from? Something to do with U axis? Something to do with having one (Uni) effective flute?

Anyone know?
They call it the same in Norway. Being a newbie I asked my hired "teacher" the same question here the other week. Think it refers to the fact that its crossection resembles a U. A digression, but we also call it a "korthullsbor" (short hole drill).

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I think (dangerous sometimes). U Drill was the common name for Sandvik's original Indexable Drill. Now known as the 880. That might be 100% wrong, but it sounds good.

I refer to Drills with Indexable (multiple cutting edges) Inserts, as Indexable Drills. But, most people I know call them Insert Drills. Spade Drills are called that name, or should be, Interchangeable tip Drills are not Indexable. So that would be incorrect IMO.

R

I refer to Drills with Indexable (multiple cutting edges) Inserts, as Indexable Drills. But, most people I know call them Insert Drills. Spade Drills are called that name, or should be, Interchangeable tip Drills are not Indexable. So that would be incorrect IMO.

R

Watch me get on to my soapbox.......

I call drills with little square or trigon inserts insert drills or indexable drills.
Interchangeable tip drills-- modular drills or replaceble tip drills.
Spade drills are spade drills because they are the next step up from a shovel........

My $0.02. :D

According to the book "Modern Metal Cutting" (written by Sandvik in 1996), Sandvik developed the "T-Max universal indexable insert drill" in the 1970s. I think the U stands for universal.

One of the trade magazines (maybe it was Cutting Tool Engineering) did a good article a few years ago comparing solid carbide, replaceable tip, and indexable type drills to each other. They reviewed how each type has an advantage and disadvantage in certain situations.

To be fair, it wouldn't surprise me if the carbide was made by Sandvik or Kennametal... :scratchchin:

Which is what I was gettin' at.
Because I know Kenna makes more money on mining-related stuff than cutting tools.
Sandvik is a big player too (not the Coromant), screening machines as well as carbide for the drills themselves.
We used to buy wear plate from a small company until THE BIG K bought them....:rolleyes5:

I didn't "come along". I've been a member here about 10 years. You "came along" thinking there might be goats wandering around.

R

That IS a good point.
Though its actually 6.5 years, but whatever......:Yawn:

You DOO want a fight, don't you. Well sorry, I'm gooooooooooooooone.......................................

Back