What's new
What's new

Who manufactures a small CNC lathe thats affordable

Tap_or_Die

Cast Iron
Im looking to buy a small, personal, CNC lathe. I have even thought about buying an older mazak QT or similar machine but I cant afford 20K. It would also be nice if it can fit through a standard doorway, so I could fit it in my shop. Any help is appreciated.

Thats almost perfect. No real specs on my end, I can use just about anything given the time to learn it. I like the turret option on this also. Thanks

Im looking to buy a small, personal, CNC lathe. I have even thought about buying an older mazak QT or similar machine but I cant afford 20K. It would also be nice if it can fit through a standard doorway, so I could fit it in my shop. Any help is appreciated.

maybe a small tool room lathe? i know our OT mazak wont fit through a standard doorway.

I'm not sure how common they are in the US, but I have a DENFORD, they made a fair few different models, I have a STARTURN 8 with turret - they are pretty retro now against something like the Tormach, but are £1,000-£3,000 depending on spec, vs. 10x that for anything modern.

It will easy fit through a door, small work envelope, but good enough for basic small parts inc threads etc.

Mazak still makes the QT6T (T = with turret, G = Gang tooling) which is a great little machine. I've seen used machines that are not too old in the $20K range. The conversational control(Mazatrol)alone is a huge selling point for me. However the work envelope is quite small. I see quite a few QT20 and QT20hp's around but those are all mid 90's machines so are already over 20 years old. They have 2.625" bar capacity and Mazatrol so they are very versatile machines, however they are all old and most have been very well used. FWIW I am in the market for a smaller turning center too to replace my Emco 342, but I have a bit more to spend. Even so, this question is very relevant to me too. Outside of the hobby machines (tormach, prototrak haas TL1 [sort of]) I have recently been looking at the Haas SL10. There seem to be quite a few of them out there for sale and the prices are very reasonable for a full turning center. I was about ask for opinions on Haas's conversational programming but I'll put that in a different thread.

µ

I cannot help but throw a comment out on the haas sl-10.
worst lathe we have ever had, if all you do is aluminum or plastic, that is ok.
steel, no guts at all. worst tailstock design i ever saw.

Mazak still makes the QT6T (T = with turret, G = Gang tooling) which is a great little machine. I've seen used machines that are not too old in the $20K range. The conversational control(Mazatrol)alone is a huge selling point for me. However the work envelope is quite small. I see quite a few QT20 and QT20hp's around but those are all mid 90's machines so are already over 20 years old. They have 2.625" bar capacity and Mazatrol so they are very versatile machines, however they are all old and most have been very well used. FWIW I am in the market for a smaller turning center too to replace my Emco 342, but I have a bit more to spend. Even so, this question is very relevant to me too. Outside of the hobby machines (tormach, prototrak haas TL1 [sort of]) I have recently been looking at the Haas SL10. There seem to be quite a few of them out there for sale and the prices are very reasonable for a full turning center. I was about ask for opinions on Haas's conversational programming but I'll put that in a different thread.

µ
Most of the QT-6's I have seen didn't have a Mazatrol control on them but they are nice little machines. We have a QT-8 with a T-32 control and its been a rock solid machine over the past 10 years but you'll get neither of them through a standard doorway.

We just sold a Hardinge gang tool lathe that was retro fitted with a Fagor control that we really wasn't using too much the past couple of years which would have been the ticket for a small shop.

I've worked with a mazak qt6t for 10 plus years, its probably the most maintenance free machine I've used. It has always held tolerances down to .0001", and the mazatrol control is breeze to work with. I just cant afford one.

I thought about maybe trying a haas, but, I have also seen the construction of the tool room machines. To me it seems it would tons have clearance issues.

Can't afford? There is a mazak qt8sp on ebay for $6k. A guy had a qt15 on here the other day for $10k. Those are real machines for hobby prices. You'll no doubt need to be able to work on them yourself though.

FYI- I was up in Ohio at McKean a few weeks ago and looked at that QT8. From a distance it looks like a turd but up close it looks like a pretty good machine.

Last edited:
Interestingly, making a CNC machine smaller does not really make it much cheaper. It still has the same number of motors, drives, screws, gibs, etc.

Most of the QT-6's I have seen didn't have a Mazatrol control on them but they are nice little machines. We have a QT-8 with a T-32 control and its been a rock solid machine over the past 10 years but you'll get neither of them through a standard doorway.

I have seen them with Fanuc controls but cant imagine why anyone would want to go from one of the easiest controls to use to one of the most obtuse. That said, the odd thing about Mazaks is that Mazatrol (the conversational language) is standard but EIA mode (G code)is a $1500 software option that a lot of machines out there don't seem to have.

Mine has the EIA (G code) option but for the life of me I can't imagine ever using it. It seems to me the only way it would be a good option is if you were setting a machine up for a lifetime of running a particular part or two and really wanted to optimize every move.

Mine has the EIA (G code) option but for the life of me I can't imagine ever using it. It seems to me the only way it would be a good option is if you were setting a machine up for a lifetime of running a particular part or two and really wanted to optimize every move.

During the sad time I had to deal with an Integrex, it was always programmed off-line in EIA. That particular shop did no programming at the machines. Different environments need different approaches.

Back