What's new
What's new

Who uses Metric CAT40 shrink holders?

Working on CAT40 shrink holders and trying to be smart about it. While making 1/4" shrink fit holders I am making a smaller batch of 6mm shrink fit holders. Same with 5/16 and 8mm blah blah blah. Just trying to gage what metric shrink holders you guys have used, how often, and why. I don't mind stocking slow moving items, but with the price of H-13 stock lately its enough to choke a horse ( can I still use that term?).

Currently making some 16mm since I finished 5/8. Wondering if I should make some 20mm after I run some 3/4".

I can imagine there is a big market across the pond. I remember buying a Deckel 40 collet 5/16 in anticipation of a job where the U.S. supplier was going to send the cutting tools (still got the collet somewhere, never did the job haha). In my realm these days it's 3mm shank, iso 20 tooling, is that something you're looking into?

I can imagine there is a big market across the pond. I remember buying a Deckel 40 collet 5/16 in anticipation of a job where the U.S. supplier was going to send the cutting tools (still got the collet somewhere, never did the job haha). In my realm these days it's 3mm shank, iso 20 tooling, is that something you're looking into?

Me too! Me too! ISO 20's please!

Working on CAT40 shrink holders and trying to be smart about it. While making 1/4" shrink fit holders I am making a smaller batch of 6mm shrink fit holders. Same with 5/16 and 8mm blah blah blah. Just trying to gage what metric shrink holders you guys have used, how often, and why. I don't mind stocking slow moving items, but with the price of H-13 stock lately its enough to choke a horse ( can I still use that term?).

Currently making some 16mm since I finished 5/8. Wondering if I should make some 20mm after I run some 3/4".

I use quite a few BT30 6mm, 10mm, and 12mm shrink fit holders. Real niche open for short gage length (<=60mm) dual contact there.

What I'd really like to see is metric dual contact CAT40 end mill holders. 10mm, 12mm, 16mm. I can't find anyone producing these in dual contact. Should be similar to the situation with shrink, whip some up when you're working on tools of similar size!

Shrink wouldn't go amiss, but I probably won't buy any. Metric availability would make me more likely to buy into a shrink system though.

We use mostly 6, 8, and 12mm end mills, but have not moved to shrink fit tool holders yet because of the cost of the tool heater and our current investment in ER16 and ER32 tools.

Frank,

One of the companies I used to work for was all metric. That included requiring the tool holders and tooling :rolleyes5: I was off work the weekend they filled a large dumpster with all the inch holders and consumable tooling. In the tool room there were probably thousands of holders. We used shrink holders for nearly everything.

I still use a lot of metrics, some of the brands are primarily metric (Like Guhring)

Course I have a BT30 so no help directly to your question!

Frank,

One of the companies I used to work for was all metric. That included requiring the tool holders and tooling :rolleyes5: I was off work the weekend they filled a large dumpster with all the inch holders and consumable tooling. In the tool room there were probably thousands of holders. We used shrink holders for nearly everything.

I still use a lot of metrics, some of the brands are primarily metric (Like Guhring)

Course I have a BT30 so no help directly to your question!

I am also running BT30 shrink holders. So far made 8mm, 6mm, and currently 4mm. So thank you for your reply.

I am also running BT30 shrink holders. So far made 8mm, 6mm, and currently 4mm. So thank you for your reply.

Sure thing! Planning on once I pay off the Brother to buy one of your shrink fit machines and a bundle of holders for drilling.

Thank you again for your products! I couldn't do what I did without them! (well, I'd have to be changing out tools a hell of a lot more :D)

Back