Who uses Metric CAT40 shrink holders?
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,297
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    247
    Likes (Received)
    2229

    Default Who uses Metric CAT40 shrink holders?

    Working on CAT40 shrink holders and trying to be smart about it. While making 1/4" shrink fit holders I am making a smaller batch of 6mm shrink fit holders. Same with 5/16 and 8mm blah blah blah. Just trying to gage what metric shrink holders you guys have used, how often, and why. I don't mind stocking slow moving items, but with the price of H-13 stock lately its enough to choke a horse ( can I still use that term?).

    Currently making some 16mm since I finished 5/8. Wondering if I should make some 20mm after I run some 3/4".

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    2,763
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3224
    Likes (Received)
    1296

    Default

    I can imagine there is a big market across the pond. I remember buying a Deckel 40 collet 5/16 in anticipation of a job where the U.S. supplier was going to send the cutting tools (still got the collet somewhere, never did the job haha). In my realm these days it's 3mm shank, iso 20 tooling, is that something you're looking into?

  3. Likes mhajicek liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,297
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    247
    Likes (Received)
    2229

    Default

    I dont think CAT40 is a big market across the pond. SK40 or BT40 would be more popular.

  5. Likes JMC, lumley32 liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,018
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2746
    Likes (Received)
    1407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Screwmachine View Post
    I can imagine there is a big market across the pond. I remember buying a Deckel 40 collet 5/16 in anticipation of a job where the U.S. supplier was going to send the cutting tools (still got the collet somewhere, never did the job haha). In my realm these days it's 3mm shank, iso 20 tooling, is that something you're looking into?
    Me too! Me too! ISO 20's please!

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1448
    Likes (Received)
    188

    Default

    We use a lot of 6 and 4mm holders here.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,297
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    247
    Likes (Received)
    2229

    Default

    Whats the deal with ISO20?
    Most have a thin flange area, but the ones for HAAS have the thicker flange? Is that true?

  9. #7
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,018
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2746
    Likes (Received)
    1407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fmari --MariTool- View Post
    Whats the deal with ISO20?
    Most have a thin flange area, but the ones for HAAS have the thicker flange? Is that true?
    Can't help you there, my machine got delayed 'till late August.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    196
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    36
    Likes (Received)
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fmari --MariTool- View Post
    Working on CAT40 shrink holders and trying to be smart about it. While making 1/4" shrink fit holders I am making a smaller batch of 6mm shrink fit holders. Same with 5/16 and 8mm blah blah blah. Just trying to gage what metric shrink holders you guys have used, how often, and why. I don't mind stocking slow moving items, but with the price of H-13 stock lately its enough to choke a horse ( can I still use that term?).

    Currently making some 16mm since I finished 5/8. Wondering if I should make some 20mm after I run some 3/4".
    I use quite a few BT30 6mm, 10mm, and 12mm shrink fit holders. Real niche open for short gage length (<=60mm) dual contact there.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Posts
    239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    41
    Likes (Received)
    166

    Default Who uses Metric CAT40 shrink holders?

    What I'd really like to see is metric dual contact CAT40 end mill holders. 10mm, 12mm, 16mm. I can't find anyone producing these in dual contact. Should be similar to the situation with shrink, whip some up when you're working on tools of similar size!

    Shrink wouldn't go amiss, but I probably won't buy any. Metric availability would make me more likely to buy into a shrink system though.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    We use mostly 6, 8, and 12mm end mills, but have not moved to shrink fit tool holders yet because of the cost of the tool heater and our current investment in ER16 and ER32 tools.

  13. Likes CBlair liked this post
  14. #11
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,018
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2746
    Likes (Received)
    1407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arj3090 View Post
    We use mostly 6, 8, and 12mm end mills, but have not moved to shrink fit tool holders yet because of the cost of the tool heater and our current investment in ER16 and ER32 tools.
    Maritool's induction machine is pretty cheap. It's not what I'd call feature rich, but it works.

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Posts
    431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    110
    Likes (Received)
    108

    Default

    3-4-6-8-10-12
    I use them for through coolant carbide drills

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    33
    Likes (Received)
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GENERALDISARRAY View Post
    3-4-6-8-10-12
    I use them for through coolant carbide drills
    I'm with you on this one. Typically 4-6-8-10mm for guhring drills. HOWEVER I'm on hsk63a, so I'm just talking in the abstract. I'm no help to you Mari.

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Medina OH
    Posts
    2,369
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    343
    Likes (Received)
    1181

    Default

    Frank,

    One of the companies I used to work for was all metric. That included requiring the tool holders and tooling I was off work the weekend they filled a large dumpster with all the inch holders and consumable tooling. In the tool room there were probably thousands of holders. We used shrink holders for nearly everything.

    I still use a lot of metrics, some of the brands are primarily metric (Like Guhring)

    Course I have a BT30 so no help directly to your question!

  18. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,297
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    247
    Likes (Received)
    2229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fal Grunt View Post
    Frank,

    One of the companies I used to work for was all metric. That included requiring the tool holders and tooling I was off work the weekend they filled a large dumpster with all the inch holders and consumable tooling. In the tool room there were probably thousands of holders. We used shrink holders for nearly everything.

    I still use a lot of metrics, some of the brands are primarily metric (Like Guhring)

    Course I have a BT30 so no help directly to your question!
    I am also running BT30 shrink holders. So far made 8mm, 6mm, and currently 4mm. So thank you for your reply.

  19. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Medina OH
    Posts
    2,369
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    343
    Likes (Received)
    1181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fmari --MariTool- View Post
    I am also running BT30 shrink holders. So far made 8mm, 6mm, and currently 4mm. So thank you for your reply.
    Sure thing! Planning on once I pay off the Brother to buy one of your shrink fit machines and a bundle of holders for drilling.

    Thank you again for your products! I couldn't do what I did without them! (well, I'd have to be changing out tools a hell of a lot more )


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •