What's new
What's new

Who is using a Haimer sensor?

Johnhudson

Aluminum
Was thinking about getting one.
Any pro's & con's, I want to leave it in a designated tool spot (side mount enclosed) Who else does this.

You mean a 3D taster? I use one, works great and a huge step up from wigglers. I don't think I'd leave one in a tool pocket, though? I also use it as my master tool height gauge; I use one of those little dial indicator tool setters that have the ground flats for setting Z-zero with the probe.

I've got one and I love it. Used to leave it in the carousel, but I took it out after one time when a program accidentally called it and tried to spin it up to 5000rpm. I caught it and e-stopped by about 500rpm, but that was enough to make sure to leave it outside of the machine just in case :)

Knock on wood, I've only broken one tip in 2 years of ownership.
It's great in place of or in addition to a renishaw or similar probe and well worth the $.

It is a great tool! Just be careful with it, as they don't like abuse. LOL
~~~~~~~~~~~~
When you have to buy tips, and you will need them, make sure you get the correct diameter.
The 3/4" shank Taster, uses a Ø5.08mm ball (P/N: 80.365.20) , while the metric version of the taster uses the 4mm ball.

I spent about 1.5 hours bringing in the concentricity, and attempting to reset the dial to "0" before I figured out I had ordered the 4mm balls.:nutter:

The Haimer is pretty fantastic, but I would take the Tschorn over it. Especially if you're on a budget as their SavePlus model is significantly lower priced. Some notes:

- The Haimer is IP6X rated for water intrusion, and they intend for it to be left in the turret/carousel. I had one leak living in the Robodrill. I took it apart and got it working again, but it was under warranty.

- Haimer's warranty service for them in the US kinda sucks; they ship everything back to Germany and it takes 6+ weeks. They do not have loaner units or an exchange program. I bought mine on Amazon and Haimer told me to buy a new one, swap the units out, and return the busted one to Amazon (yes, that is literally what they told me to do, and it worked! even though it felt a bit janky).

- You would think I would stop running the Haimer in my turret, and I would have! Problem is, removing the Haimer from a Robodrill turret (having to pull it with some force out of the holding fingers) instantly threw it out of calibration by up to 0.0007" in random directions. So even after the leaky replacement, I left it in there.

After the leak incident, I got on the phone with Haimer and their US VP of engineering called me up and was very gracious and generally knowledgable. The sense I got was that Haimer USA is really in the shrink fit/tool balancer/big $$$ business, and that this whole 3D Taster thing is sort of a German deal with a niche market for them in the US. Hence, the poor 6+ week repair turnaround. The Haimer is beautifully crafted, and (aside from the notes above) works exactly as advertised. It's a huge time/frustration saver.

Having said that, the Tschorn is equally accurate and works the exact same. The design is a bit beefier. I never had to use it, but Tschorn's US warranty coverage is superior (they told me they swap units out quickly in the rare instances of warranty issues). More importantly, when you email Tschorn in Germany, Robert Tschorn himself answers questions. 3D Tasters is *what Tschorn does* it is not a rounding error in their primary line of business.

I just sold the Robodrill and included a 3D Taster with it - the Haimer. I'm keeping the Tschorn for use on the Speedio for inspection and alignment tasks that the Probe is no good at.

TL;DR
3D Tasters are great devices (80% of the convenience of a spindle probe at less than 1/10th the price). The Haimer is good, but the Tschorn is a smidge nicer, and is better supported by a company 100% dedicated to this product line. The Tschorn is the one I would buy.

I have 3 of them. Two have the digital display, and one has the analog dial type. The dial type is better because it is easier to see. With the digital one, it is too easy to screw up and overtravel (and break the stylus) since the only indication that you are in the overtravel zone is the absense of a '-' (minus sign). The analog one has a clear red zone.

I don't keep them in the machine, because I like to make sure that the spindle and toolholder's taper are good and clean before using it.

They are great and I would not be without one. I'm bet a connected renishaw probe is even better, but these Haimer / 3D Tasters are great.

I have a Haimer that I bought fairly recently. Very nice for setting zeros but I was trying to check backlash in my machine with it. I found that at least my Haimer, which is basically new, has about .0005 of hysteresis. In other words if pushing against something until zero then when you back up the Haimer doesn't respond for about .0005" of reverse movement. I think it must just be friction where the tip rubs up in the cone. I know this is not how the thing is intended to be used and in this case a test indicator is the correct tool not the Haimer.

We have the Haff & Schneider(did I spell that right?) 3d Taster got it for around $650 or so.
It's worth every penny when setting up jobs and finding your datum.

I use analog Haimers in my manual and CNC mill. They're delicate.

I appreciate the comments on alternatives. I had a lot of trouble finding alternatives when I was shopping for my current tasters. If I ever have to replace my Haimers I'll look into the ones mentioned here.

The Haimer is pretty fantastic, but I would take the Tschorn over it. Especially if you're on a budget as their SavePlus model is significantly lower priced. Some notes:
I bought the Tschorn based on (I think) your recommendation on that other thread.

My impression is that it's well made, and it was very simple to get dialed in.

Should have done it a long time ago. For the price of an Interapid you can have a decent tool for picking up zeros and offsets, and much easier for my old eyes than edgefinders and wigglers- especially when the spindle is a long way from the operator, I don't have to lean in or crawl up on the machine with a loupe to see what's going on.

Thanks guys,
For all the input.
I have been resisting for a few years. I guess it's time.

Probes are like hermit crabs, you should always buy them in pairs. If they get lonely, they wait until you are buried in work and then commit suicide. If you have a spare, the one in the tool feels safe and happy and will last indefinitely.

OK, not lying this showed up on Amazon on my phone the day this thread was posted.

download_20180620_164406.jpeg

Back