What's new
What's new

Who's going to IMTS and PM cap's idea

Admin5

Administrator
Staff member
Noticed a thread earlier where some PM members wanted a way to recognize other PMers at the show. Occured to me perhaps we could place Embroidered PM ballcaps in advertisers booths
and give away for free.

The only problem with this from the advertisers viewpoint is they don't want folk with zero interest in their products coming to their booth just to get a free cap.

Thoughts ?

Really good idea. I use some of the advertisers stuff anyway and you never know what you might be interested in when you DO get to the booth.

I don't understand the advertisers balk at this....I thought the purpose of advertising was to draw people TO your products, by whatever means. A free cap is as good or better than an ad in one of the trade rags.....especially at something like IMTS where folks can actually lay hands on the product.....

BTW,
If you can get multiple advertisers to do that, post a list with the booth numbers and folk can then kill 2 birds with one stone......i.e. they can go to the booth that most interests them to get the cap.

BTW,
If you can get multiple advertisers to do that, post a list with the booth numbers and folk can then kill 2 birds with one stone......i.e. they can go to the booth that most interests them to get the cap.
I like that idea. However since there is so little response to this thread, having second thoughts about the whole "cap" idea in the first place as it seems like no one cares.

PM Caps?

I'm going, my third trip to IMTS. I'd like to have a cap or something concerning this forum as a way of recognizing one another. I'm sometimes suprised at how many like minded people I run into and tell about the forum who know nothing about it. Valuable source of info and sometimes entertainment (the "Lighten Up" thread). Be interesting to see other folks with similar experiences. Having an advertiser hand them out, or several advertisers for that matter, would be great.Another way to attract the "impulse" buyer in to look at wares. Who knows, might work.

With the turn out at IMTS the last two years I cannot imagine anyone balking at people coming through their booths, even if it is just for a hat. Just a suggestion, you could have an Admin or Moderator ( or someone who is a notable poster that is going to be there at the show) designate a Sign-In for PM members and hand out hats. That way you know you are not just running into a random someone that grabbed a PM hat out fo a booth. Alot of guys will grab anything free that they can.

Not sure of the need for a hat, or ball cap to distinguish your self from
the rest of the worlds metal munchers. A simple tag to hang from your
badge stating "Practical Machinist dot com member" with your log in
name printed underneath it would be good though. I haven't been to the
show since the mid 90s. They do still use badges don't they? A ribbon
would certainly keep the cost to a minimum for the vendor that decides
they want to donate them. The vendor could also get an OK from IMTS as
to what unique color they could be. A large vendor may even have access
to a meeting room where at specific times each day, members could meet.

A vendor with a bit of mussel in the industry and a little bit of time should
be able to get the ball rolling. The real question is, how many people will
be there.

Of coarse, it would also be good advertising for Practical Machinist. At a
trade show, every one you talk to will look at your name tag!

I won't be there so I guess all I have is an opinion. :)

jim

I’m there every year and it’s really nice it’s only about 11/2hrs away from home. I am usually there the opening weekend. I would really like to meet up with some PM members. It should be good advertising for PM forum and with it being the largest then I would imagine that a lot of people know and would take notice to anything involving PM whether it be hats or pins.

Stevo

I'll be there, and would love a hat or something... also, what kind of pin-on thing? Am I crazy, or do they expect us guys who are going to be there for a few days to wear the same paper badge... for like four days? I would've paid another $5 for a credit-card-style one... :confused:

I'll be going for a night or two but the idea of making up a bunch of hats so 15 people MIGHT run into each other in a few-acre maze of machinery, may not be a wise use of funds. Just saying. Unless of course I misunderstand you and your plan is to get forum sponsors to pay for them.

Edit: I'm also a bit a priss and a fashion whore, and may not wear a hat on upon my head if it didn't look appealing or go with the rest of what I'm wearing. But I'm sure I'm the minority here on that one...

Edit: I'm also a bit a priss and a fashion whore, and may not wear a hat on upon my head if it didn't look appealing or go with the rest of what I'm wearing. But I'm sure I'm the minority here on that one...
LOL... I hear ya, and personally I often don't even notice what is printed on other folks caps anyway. Re the 15 folks...the actual inspiration from my end is greater awareness of PM by folks at the show that don't know about it already...the 15 folks finding each other would just be a potential side benefit.

But what else is there that "one size fits all" and you can don immediately ? What about those "lanyards" that go around your neck and hold the badge sleeves ? I remember Mitutoyo gave those away in mass quantities in the past..

I'll be at IMTS Mon - Wed - hat, pin, sandwich board - it all works for me. It would be good to meet up with others.

Lanyards aren't a bad idea. Everybody's got to wear a badge anyway, so
why not hang it from a PM lanyard? That takes care of those of us who
get "hot heads" real fast with a cap on :) .

You haven't got much time to order a batch of custom anythings though.

-- Ralph

Back