Why is cnc machining so expensive? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    either the OP is just performing some sort of joke or has to be the most ignorant person to ever visit this forum.
    If I could like to that other site here on PM, I would show all you fine gentlemen where this guys buddy is asking people to send him RFQs so he can decide what type of machines to buy. He has backing to don't you know. LOL, these guys are clearly best friends if not related.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy887 View Post
    I just hose clamped a calculator to a Harbor Fright lathe and am gonna kick some ass...................
    I will order 10 of them from you if I can download a pic from my iPad to your calculator and it will set itself up and run unattended .... LOL... IT IS THAT EASY, RIGHT?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by geneiusxie View Post
    Ok, I can see why it would need to be so expensive for programming. But what about mass production? I see most mass produced cnc parts cost 20-80x a solid block of aluminum of the same dimensions. So the rest of that would have be for machining and markup.
    Here's the link for the machine I was referring to:
    MyDIYCNC Desktop CNC Machine | MyDIYCNC - Home of the DIY Desktop CNC Machine
    Definitely nowhere near the capabilities of a $100,000+ machine, but it supposedly has 0.00025" per step for each axis. Not as good as an industrial one, but pretty good for $590.
    Yeah, it has a crap <50 watt motor and no ability to provide lubrication, but would it really be that hard to make a more powerful and sturdier version for mass production?
    And would you need to babysit a cnc machine for mass producing something?
    looks like you need to put your money where your mouth is and go out and buy your dream machine, then see what it's all about.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny thing is, even if it takes 28 times longer on a $590 machine, it would still be cheaper to buy 28 $590 machines instead of one for $120,000
    But obviously, I have no experience in working cnc machines.
    Yes, OBVIOUSLY you don't have experience.... We knew that! Get a job at a shop for a while and then post us an update.... See if you change your mind.
    P.S.
    you DO realize that the 50 watt motor you described earlier uses less power than a standard light bulb, right? Think about how powerful it could be...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just wanted to know how to cut the costs down for my own projects.
    That's easy, do away with machine tools and use files.

Rex

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Nelson View Post
    There you go again, critizing those who are only trying to gain information. He is only asking in the spirit of inquiry. Let the feeding frenzy begin!

Lord Byron

HeyZeus, I really want to say "I miss you", but you won't go away!

Rex

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why so expensive

Cause we've got the cahoonaass to push the green start button and walk away to do something else knowing the part will be done to spec and the spindle isn't buried in the table............most of the time
    And when the other thing happens we have to fix it$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny thing is, even if it takes 28 times longer on a $590 machine, it would still be cheaper to buy 28 $590 machines instead of one for $120,000
    But obviously, I have no experience in working cnc machines.
    Have you ever heard of the nine pregnant women theory?
    Can you produce one baby in one month?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Come on john I cant believe this dude has you stumped.

You cant make this shit up.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Welden View Post
    Is this thread a joke?

10. Likes John Welden liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Heavey Metal View Post
    Come on john I cant believe this dude has you stumped.

You cant make this shit up.
    99% chance he is full of shit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    It's a conspiracy.
    When you buy your first cnc you have to sign a "code of silence agreement".

We all have to support our 5 houses around the globe, and our planes and boats. Not to mention the costs of the continuous string of high maintenance "partners".
    We cry about not making any money as a cover story so we can get bigger tax breaks.

Now that I've broken the code I probably won't be around much longer.
    Bob

Bob, I can't believe you caved, at least you didn't scan and post the code paperwork. I guess you were too afraid of the CNC Maffia showing up and pulling all the plugs on your grinders, which of course program and run by themselves too.

....so why is it that carbide end mills are so expensive when blanks are so cheap? They should only be pennies over the cost of the blanks, and you cannot markup the carbide either. IIRC those CBN and diamond wheels are close to free aren't they, or have the suppliers finally come to their senses and started paying you to use their tools?

Bob, I think you are about to be banned from PM for breaking silence.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    No expensive, see, you promise big order, give small order first, say more later, I make parts for you good price, you no pay me, no expensive.
    You give me a good price on the prototype and I'll give you the production. Oh yeah, that's only if that schmuck in China doesn't want it.

You give me good price on prototype and maybe I pay you, maybe I don't.

My brother built a big progressive die for a foreign company with an office here in the United States. It was about a $25,000.00 job. They didn't pay. They said it didn't make the part. They wouldn't return it to him so he could fix it. After about 6 months he stopped by their company and asked to see the die run. They showed him the die running in the press. Do you have any idea how much damage an 8 inch file will do to a carbide stamping die running 1,500 strokes per minute.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like, $1 per hour of shop time?
    Who charges so little? $60 an hour, for so much capital investment is bad imho.

15. Likes Jorgo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ask a mechanic shop why they get over $100/hr.

This guy is clueless or a troll or a clueless troll.

17. Likes IronReb, tjd10684 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    JAFUT
    ??? Whats that mean?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Welden View Post
    99% chance he is full of shit.
    That leaves a 1% chance that we are all screwed? You give him too much credit.

20. Likes Alloy Mcgraw, Limy Sami, John Welden liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gene, seriously, you describe yourself as a student and your interested in physics. I have worked with PHD's who have trouble understanding the question you ask. The project is planned for the last week and 5k to do 10 weeks and 50k of work because "this machine runs up to 1200 fpm" If your are a college student I implore you to see if the school/university has a machine shop. Not a student hack&wack but a real research lab machine shop - work there for the summer, you will understand.
    And Gene, never ever believe what a software, machine tool or tool advertisement says, you get more honesty from a used car salesmen.
    Regards,
    B

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The OP should have asked "why does the retail chain have to mark up your part from 50% to 1000%? That is where 'expensive' comes from. Retailers consider cnc machining to be desirable from a quality viewpoint, and they will only buy what they can make at least 50% markup on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey guys,

Why is cnc machining so expensive? Like, $1 per hour of shop time? And the machines themselves can cost between $10,000 - $200,000? I don't think it's the electricity - a 10KW motor only eats $1 of electricity per hour at $0.1 per KWh. And the machines are computer controlled and can be fully automated, so you don't even need to pay specialized machinists after everything's set up for mass production. You can even run the machines 24/7/365 because you don't need to "babysit" the higher end machines. And even for the ones you do need to babysit, it only takes someone to change out parts, tools, etc. so they could probably handle like, 10 machines at once, or some other job in the meantime. I see cheap diy cnc machines for under $1000 online. They might not have the size or the power, but you can probably modify the design to accomodate a larger motor - which isn't that expensive anyway. And they have tolerances to 0.005" - not bad for a $300 - $500 device.

I can see that the cost of a machine strongly correlates with the size of the table as well. Does the motor move on precision rails? Is that driving the cost up? But why have a 4'x8' machine anyway if you won't make anything a tenth that size?

Also, why do machining companies have to charge so much for programming for small projects? There are programs out there that can convert a 3d file directly to G-code already.

Btw, I think 5 axis cnc machines have a lot of potential. Much more than the 3d printing thing. But all the good 5 axis machines are ridiculously expensive.

-Gene

I for one will be following this thread so that when you finish high school and revolutionize the trade I will have a leg up on the competition.

See here. Vintage Mattel Power Shop 1964 with Box Case Instructions | eBay

Big B

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll make an assumption and say that you take your car to a mechanic to have it repaired. Why? All you have to do is buy a cheap scanner and have it tell you what is wrong with the car. Then all you have to do is change the part. Right? It's all so simple. I mean how hard can it be to change head gaskets in a modern engine? I'm sure you have a Craftsman tool set.

Note: Mass production is a relative term. I doubt that the RC plane / car parts (assumption by me) that make up your product have the numbers to be "mass produced".