What's new
What's new

Why is there such a massive difference in LCD CRT replacement prices?

alphonso

Titanium
Don't want to hijack cncfarming's thread. I have a 9 inch monochrome CRT that is dieing. So let's find a LCD replacement. Lots of A61L-0001-0093 available. LBest price i can find in the US is "Starting at " $825.00. From what i glean these are direct replacements, just plug them in.

Fleabay China posters have them listed as low as $200.00. From pictures, they seem to be the identical units to US offerings..

Worth taking a chance on the China offering?????

I sold a couple pretty cheap in great shape on Ebay from two machines I scrapped out. You might try making an offer on a good used one, who knows what someone would take. Of course I wasn't trying to get rich parting out a machine.

Following this one too. I read through the last couple of crt replacement threads. It would be nice to have a plug and play lcd to replace this crt

Likely from the "value add" of the research and testing involved in getting to "plug and play" for a specific controller. In some cases, it may be due to special manufacturing or modification of the interfaces, but mostly it's just knowing exactly what to ask for.

As for the specifics, it kind of boils down to what your time is worth. Your time researching, ordering, waiting for shipment, extracting money from corporate to convert to Paypal funds to an unknown China seller, un-proven warranty/exchange details, and then installing. If your machine is down and orders are backing up, the high-priced option is probably best. If your display is just getting weak, work is light after the holiday, and you've got other things you can do until it arrives, then give it a try and share your results. Plus they're cheap enough to buy an extra for back-up.

Chip

Worth taking a chance on the China offering?????

Were do you think there actually make the USA offerings?

I have done real well and never yet had a issue swapping out touch screens on print equipment. OEM wants £2K + £1.4K fitting & programming for new screen, £126 of ebay for just the screen unit and i was there less than 30 minutes. Needless to say thats one happy customer and the screens been fine for a good couple of years now. Done 3-4 of them at different place and every time the customer has been more than happy with the outcome and the performance has been just fine. For some reason machines made with that display panel in a certain age range all seam to fail, the Chinese replacement modules make for a seriously cheap fix!

Worst part is generaly the 2 week delivery time from there to here, if you can live with what ever that is, i think they will be worth trying!

Okay. Done some more searching. newssor.com (IL.) has the a61l-0001-0093/lcd listed at $400.00. Amazon has one listed at $270.00/free shipping. Kfasllc.com has them at $825.00. Industrial-panels.com has a fairly comprehensive cross list reference of a whole slew of monitors.

I found (the last!!)one at rongsheng-biz with a California address for $184.00/free shipping. Ordered it. We'll see next week how it works out.

The a61l-0001-0093/lcd is a drop in replacement for the 9 inch color CRT. Evidently it will replace nearly any Fanuc 9 inch CDT, mono or color, just change parameter to make it show color.
[h=1][/h]

All of the CRT replacements you will see follow the same recipe.

1) Chinese universal scan converter. It takes any signal and spits out VGA video.

2) Some kind of TFT LCD panel in the appropriate size.

3) The required adapter to make it "plug and play".

You can DIY one for around $300. Just find the right size LCD and a scan converter through Alibaba or whoever. You will have to make your own cable and figure out which wires are the video signal, power, vertical, horizontal, etc.

Most people don't want to mess with it and but the ready made unit. There's a huge variety of cable options for different controls. Some use card edge, some are Honda, some have Molex plugs, some are hardwired with no plugs.

All that said, there is very little that can not be repaired on a CRT. The actual tube is basically indestructible. Unless it has blown flyback transformer or some proprietary chip is toast, you can usually fix them with a few $ in parts.

It's surprisingly hard to break a CRT tube. They get burn in, but that's not really an issue for CNC machines where the display is basically static.

1) Chinese universal scan converter. It takes any signal and spits out VGA video.

You can DIY one for around $300. Just find the right size LCD and a scan converter through Alibaba or whoever. You will have to make your own cable and figure out which wires are the video signal, power, vertical, horizontal, etc.

Most people don't want to mess with it and but the ready made unit. There's a huge variety of cable options for different controls. Some use card edge, some are Honda, some have Molex plugs, some are hardwired with no plugs.

All that said, there is very little that can not be repaired on a CRT. The actual tube is basically indestructible. Unless it has blown flyback transformer or some proprietary chip is toast, you can usually fix them with a few $ in parts.

Kfasllc.com has a U-tube video showing the procedure to change out the CRT and install the LCD. Open up the control station, remove the plastic thing over the CRT, unplug and unscrew the CRT chassis, remove, screw the LCD in where the CRT was, plug it in and you're done unless you want to change the parameter so that it displays in color. Truly a plug and play operation.

The CRT on this machine has been giving us problems for several years. Starts up okay, but after a time it goes all green. Tap the case and it will pop back to normal.....until it goes green again. There were several cold solder joints on the tube connection. Helped for awhile. The whole thing has been taken out and re-soldered every joint on the unit. Helps for awhile but then it goes green again. Tired of fucking with it.

I concur.

In hopes of saving other guys some time, I'll elaborate on the scan converter a little: Some of the older controls have oddball scan frequencies that aren't covered by the inexpensive video-game converter boards out there. Before buying a converter it pays to know and understand what the frequencies are in your machine and the capabilities of the converter you plan to buy. That, or get a tasty recipe from someone who has already been there, done it on the same machine / control type.

Damn, Fedex "smart post" is slow. Monitor shipped 12/29 from City of Industry, California, arrived today.

Installation:15 minutes.DSCF0782.jpg Truly plug and play.

Nice. DSCF0785.jpg Maybe I should wipe down the bezel.

Cost: $184.74

Now, how long will it last?

Damn, Fedex "smart post" is slow. Monitor shipped 12/29 from City of Industry, California, arrived today.

That's not too bad, I'm usually 14-20 days out of Cali to NM... Watch the tracking go from
Phoenix to Denver to Phoenix to Denver to Phoenix to Denver to Phoenix to Denver to Phoenix to
Denver... Something to do with incompatible bar codes I was told.

$184, not bad, if you get a year out of it you'll still be ahead of the game.

just change parameter to make it show color.

Is that a control parameter, or something in the LCD?

I want to try this on a Dynapath with mono composite 2 wire output. It looks like the universal scan convertors will work with the 20-21Mhz H scan rate. It seems that an LCD connected to one of those convertors on a monochrome control will show white characters on black background. Is there any way to change the color of the characters or the background with this setup?

I want to try this on a Dynapath with mono composite 2 wire output. It looks like the universal scan convertors will work with the 20-21Mhz H scan rate. It seems that an LCD connected to one of those convertors on a monochrome control will show white characters on black background. Is there any way to change the color of the characters or the background with this setup?

Control parameter. 18MC 3100.7

I don't know if I can change colors yet. Will explore that when I get tired of the current colors.

That's not too bad, I'm usually 14-20 days out of Cali to NM... Watch the tracking go from
Phoenix to Denver to Phoenix to Denver to Phoenix to Denver to Phoenix to Denver to Phoenix to
Denver... Something to do with incompatible bar codes I was told.

$184, not bad, if you get a year out of it you'll still be ahead of the game.

I watched the tracking. City of Industry to Covina The first stop in Texas was at Millsap with "in Transit" explanation. WTF? Millsap is a hole-in-the -wall west of Weatherford, not even on a main road. Then it goes to Hutchins, southeast of Dallas, on Thursday, then to Houston Fedex/smartpost depot on Friday, and sit until Sunday, when USPS picks it up. Somewhat surprised that the Fedex tracking shows the path from Houston to Waco to Lampasas to me.

You often get red, green, blue characters on a black background.

I have a spare Dynapath CRT if you are interested...

Mud,

Did you ever get any further with the Dynapath replacement? I'll be at a point soon where I will have to pull and re-cap the CRT or go a different direction with lcd.

Mud,

Did you ever get any further with the Dynapath replacement? I'll be at a point soon where I will have to pull and re-cap the CRT or go a different direction with lcd.

No, everything I've tried so far has failed. Newwsor makes a stock size bolt in LCD, and there's another I can't remember the name of for even more $, but I'm trying to fit a larger one on.
N

Back