What's new
What's new

Wifi in Brother with C00 control is easy

eaglemike

Stainless
Adding Wifi in Brother with C00 control is easy

You'll need one of these:
Amazon.com: TP-Link N3 Wireless Wi-Fi Nano Travel Router with Range Extender/Access Point/Client/Bridge Modes (TL-WR82N): Computers & Accessories

There is an ethernet and USB port in the control cabinet. You can use the USB port to power it. You'll need to configure it on a desktop or laptop, plugging into a USB. Then you can use the FREE! Brother communications software to drag-n=drop file in or out of the machine. It does require some easy configuration in the control through the data bank. If you want to be able to delete files from the WiFi you'll also have to enable that in the machine control.

$30 and an hour or less. What's not to like? :) After the first one it's just a few minutes each. :)

Trendnet used to (maybe still does) make a similar device which I have used for similar application. Basically they can have several personalities but one of them you can configure it for is to connect to wifi and give you a wired network out. Very handy for connecting pretty much any cat5 device or devices (if you hook it to a switch) to a network via wifi.

Hey Mike. Glad the ethernet/WiFi set up is working out well for you on your Speedio machines. I heard that this communication set up was saving a new user that transfers large surfacing files frequently about 40 minutes a day! This set up will work for shops that have B00 control Brother CNC machines too.

Wondering if you could recommend how I would go about getting information from the workpiece counters on a brother s2d with a B00 controller via ethernet? I was thinking of using a serial to ethernet converter and running a DPrnt command but not sure if that will work. Any suggestions?

Wondering if you could recommend how I would go about getting information from the workpiece counters on a brother s2d with a B00 controller via ethernet? I was thinking of using a serial to ethernet converter and running a DPrnt command but not sure if that will work. Any suggestions?
I believe DPrint is only usable with RS232. Have you checked with Yamazen Tech Support? 800-882-8558

UPDATE - save the settings!

Take a picture of your machine definitions in the software, or print the screen.
If one is forced to reboot your computer while the Brother communication software is open, you might lose the machine definitions in the software. This happened to me recently.
Fortunately, it's super easy to go look at the control and get the settings to re-enter in the software on you desktop. Only takes a couple of button pushes to get there.
I really really love this setup. I did end up putting a wifi router out in the shop to make sure I have good coverage. Compared to walking back and forth, keeping track of various USB stocks etc, this is miles easier.
It's also super easy to back up ALL your programs in the machine. Everything is drag and drop. Still about $35 each for the TP Link that goes in the machine. Waaaay cheaper than some companies out there.
I chose to make all my machines 10K spindle, so they are all cross compatible.
Hope this helps someone.

I noticed that my brothercomm would lose its definitions frequently. I never connected it with the fact that the software was open when the computer restarted. I always leave the computer on and the brothercomm software open...

BrotherFrank, I absolutely love the brothercomm software, make sure you guys give it to every customer. I would be willing to be that on a long day of setup and running one off parts I save MORE than 40 minutes.

I never got the BrotherComm software, but from browsing through the manuals I guessed that it was just a UI for an FTP server. And indeed, with a few simple parameter changes, you can configure your machine as an FTP server that can be connected to from any FTP client with the correct username/password. This system has worked perfectly for me for the past few months since I've had the machine. All it took was plugging an Ethernet cable from a WiFi extender into the Ethernet port in the electrical cabinet and then setting the parameters.

Descriptions of these parameters can be found in the “CNC-C00 Operation Manual (Data)” manual. I don’t know how frequently these manuals change, but for me it is in section 2.7.5 on page 2-161 (Data bank → Communication parameter → Ethernet/FTP).

1. Ethernet/FTP parameters:
    a. Data Bank display → F6 Comm. parameter → F2 Ethernet/FTP
    b. Set “Data overwriting (slave station)” to “1” (Yes) to allow file overwrite when transferring new versions of files
    b. Set “IP address” to some unused address on your network. I used “192.168.1.100”. To enter IP addresses in the control, enter 12 numbers without formatting (pad single and double digit sections with zeroes). For instance, I would enter “192168001100”.
    d. Set “DNS server address 1” to the primary server address of your network. For me, that’s “192.168.1.1”.
    e. FTP uses a username/password for connections. Set “Server user name” and “Password as server” to configure those. You’ll use them when you connect with the FTP client on your computer.
    f. I set “Response monitoring time” to “0” which means the the machine will just hold the connection open. Not sure whether there are consequences to this, but so far it has worked fine.
  2. Changing the External I/O method to FTP:
    a. Edit Mode → Program display → F3 External program I/O → F3 Maintenance → F6 Change connection device
    b. Enter “3” for “FTP server” and hit Enter
  3. With these settings entered, I restarted the control. I’m not sure that this is strictly necessary.

Never had any "definitions" lost -- honestly not sure what those mean in this context. All that's saved is the FTP IP address, username, password. (Possibly security implications for certain users that do sensitive work.)

For the technologically inept among us, could one of you post a video of how to set this up? Just a cell phone video walk though of how you got it working, not just the control parameters, because I'm missing some step in the process. And feel free to assume your viewer is not IT literate enough to understand what are probably perfectly clear instructions above.

Asking for a friend, of course... The USB stick works fine, but I'd rather drag and drop.

For the technologically inept among us, could one of you post a video of how to set this up? Just a cell phone video walk though of how you got it working, not just the control parameters, because I'm missing some step in the process. And feel free to assume your viewer is not IT literate enough to understand what are probably perfectly clear instructions above.

Asking for a friend, of course... The USB stick works fine, but I'd rather drag and drop.

Did you 'Change Connection Device' ? When you are on the External IO screen where you load programs to and from the USB stick, Look for the Change Connection Device choice at the bottom of the screen. If you don't see it, press the > key to the right of the F7 button. When you press Change Con Dev, you will get a screen with 4 choices. Memory Card (USB) is one of them. FTP is one also. Can you contact your local rep(s) for support?

What you need is a WIFI access point that can be put in client mode. This allows the access point to be used as a network extender where devices (like a C00 control machine) that only have a wired connection can be plugged into it. The machine thinks it's plugged into a wired network but really it's just plugged into an access point configured as a client. I've used Trendnet access points for this in the past but I think the one I have is an older one so wouldn't be helpful. Really any access point that can be used in client mode should work.

My Speedio is connected to a wired network. Really if you can run the wires it's best to connect up that way.

Here is a link: How to configure Client mode of the Wireless N Access Point (new logo)? | TP-Link

I suggest doing the setup in two steps. First setup the access point then plug a pc into it and see if you can connect to the network using the pc. Then once you have that working you need to set the ip address on the machine.

What you need is a WIFI access point that can be put in client mode. This allows the access point to be used as a network extender where devices (like a C00 control machine) that only have a wired connection can be plugged into it. The machine thinks it's plugged into a wired network but really it's just plugged into an access point configured as a client. I've used Trendnet access points for this in the past but I think the one I have is an older one so wouldn't be helpful. Really any access point that can be used in client mode should work.

My Speedio is connected to a wired network. Really if you can run the wires it's best to connect up that way.

Here is a link: How to configure Client mode of the Wireless N Access Point (new logo)? | TP-Link

I suggest doing the setup in two steps. First setup the access point then plug a pc into it and see if you can connect to the network using the pc. Then once you have that working you need to set the ip address on the machine.

Here's a link to the DD-WRT wiki, which is a free software you can install on most older (read: available everywhere, for $5 or free) linksys modems, on how to setup client mode. Client Mode - DD-WRT Wiki

You guys are way ahead of me, that's why I was hoping for a video. Which ethernet port do you use? There's one on the lower left and one to the right that look like possibilities.

IMG_20210506_131421937.jpg

That lower-left XLAN port is what you want.

I can't do a video right now but may be able to in the coming days if we can't help get it figured out for you here.

That lower-left XLAN port is what you want.

I can't do a video right now but may be able to in the coming days if we can't help get it figured out for you here.

Awesome.

I got the access point working on a computer like Pete said, how do you determine the correct IP address and Mask Bit?

For e. FTP uses a username/password for connections. Set “Server user name” and “Password as server” to configure those. You’ll use them when you connect with the FTP client on your computer. Is that something I just make up?

How can I tell if the wifi access link is working on the Brother?

We had the access link working on a laptop and plugged it into the machine. We set everything as per Mutiny's post (using the IP that had popped up on the laptop), then tried tweaking some things going off chapter 2.7 in the data bank manual.

We're using FileZilla as the FTP client, and not getting anything.

Update: I don't know why or how, but FileZilla just connected to the Brother. I need to hook up the other Brother, so maybe by the time I do that I'll understand enough to post a full tutorial.

Update: I don't know why or how, but FileZilla just connected to the Brother. I need to hook up the other Brother, so maybe by the time I do that I'll understand enough to post a full tutorial.

Awesome! Glad you got it working.

Sorry, just saw this one. It's been a while, so I'd have to re-figure some stuff out. I've had a bunch of chemo since I did this and the stuff I had does affect memory. As noted, the device has to be set a client. I used the port in the cabinet on the left side, almost all the way up, next to the USB port that I used for power.
Couple of things I remember - be sure to write down the addresses, and be sure they match. Sometimes it doesn't communicate depending on what mode the control is in. I have good luck when it's in manual, and I've also transferred while it's in memory (actually running IIRC) but in a different directory. I don't know for sure which modes don't work for transfer, so you might have to experiment.
Frank's note above about making sure you have the correct settings in the control is crucial, of course.
It's easier for me to use wifi than run the wires dues to layout. I could run them, but this works.
Good luck!

Sorry, just saw this one. It's been a while, so I'd have to re-figure some stuff out. I've had a bunch of chemo since I did this and the stuff I had does affect memory. As noted, the device has to be set a client. I used the port in the cabinet on the left side, almost all the way up, next to the USB port that I used for power.
Couple of things I remember - be sure to write down the addresses, and be sure they match. Sometimes it doesn't communicate depending on what mode the control is in. I have good luck when it's in manual, and I've also transferred while it's in memory (actually running IIRC) but in a different directory. I don't know for sure which modes don't work for transfer, so you might have to experiment.
Frank's note above about making sure you have the correct settings in the control is crucial, of course.
It's easier for me to use wifi than run the wires dues to layout. I could run them, but this works.
Good luck!

Thanks. I just set the first machine up yesterday and am already fuzzy on details...

Do you or anyone else know where to get BrotherComm? FileZilla works but leaves a lot to be desired UI wise.

Back