What's new
What's new

"Wiggler" through-hole deburring tool

SRT Mike

Stainless
I saw something a year or so ago that was a deburring tool that had some flex to it. I believe the idea was you run it into the hole with the spindle off, and when you turn on the spindle, it wiggles around and deburrs the front and back of the hole.

I can't find it now no matter how much I search. Does this sound familiar to anyone or anyone know who makes it?

If not, any other suggestions for deburring holes? I know about the bladed tools, but they need to be sized for each hole, and would consume all the tools in the machine. We already use brushes but are looking for something specifically for holes where the back side is hard to reach without resorting to back chamfer or lollipop cutters.

Any tips of advice is appreciated!

I met the guy that runs that place a couple months ago. Their facility is in Hayward next to a place I bought a DMG machine from. Small operation but seemed pretty interesting. From what the owner told me it seems to be made to do exactly what the user above was looking for.

If Orbitool is what you were thinking of, I can attest that they are pretty good people. I took a chance and bought one each of two sizes to try out (deburring a 1/4-20 tapped hole into an intersecting bore). Talking with them, they told me some surprising life span for the tool, which I thought to my self "yeah right - guess we'll see", also helped out with application specific details and suggestions.

I tried the larger one first, and havent gotten to the second, smaller one yet because its worked great so far. 3000+ holes deburred and counting. As I recall, they said they would let me send them back for full refund if they didnt work, and did check in with me to make sure it was working well still a few months later. Also offered to let me return the smaller one for another bigger one, but I didnt feel like that was fair to them, so I kept it, and will be ordering a couple more of the larger one to have back ups in case the loose nut behind the control flubs on a decimal point or something :D

Ive been impressed so far.

In case it helps, and the Orbitool is what youre thinking of, use of it in a VMC situation, they dont suggest the "wiggle and wobble method" as you would use if it was in something like a die grinder. On a VMC they suggested to go into the hole with the spindle off just shy of where the intersection starts, turn the spindle on, and then do a helical interpolation down into the hole, stop the spindle move to center, and retract.

You can adjust the amount of deburring it does with changes to:
- Amount of tool stick out from the holder (the shank is very flexible, so you can add cutting pressure just by necking up on it)
- Feed rate (obviously :D)
- Angle of descent in your helical moves
- Potentially repeating the helical move back up to give it a double pass

So you have some details to work out for your specific needs, but didnt take long to get it dialed in and working well for my application and I sure aint the brightest bulb in this forum by a long stretch.

Back