What's new
What's new

Will IMTS get canceled?

If you guys haven't heard yet 2 major companies have canceled there 2020 booth. For misc reasons. I have a feeling with the Corona frenzy / panic many more companies will follow. What are your thoughts?

I have a feeling we may be looking at a 2021 IMTS.....

When you have hundreds of thousands or millions on the line, no it is not too early to freak out. Cost of booth, trucks and rigging, plane tickets, etc, etc.

I persopnally think everything is going kinda crazy. Media is talking about this 24/7. I think a lot is all hype. Just my 2cents.

Sounds a little early to be freaking out to me .... isn't IMTS in September ? Late September ?

The costs are happening now. Some already have been spent. The new physical offices and booths, machine shipments to the area, tooling, time for new demos and even hotel rooms will all be billed and contracts signed over the next few weeks. The houseware show just cancelled and an Oracle event just cancelled. We will know in the next month or so. As an example, the rumored cost for the DMG/Mori booth was well north of $6 million. More than half of that would have been spent way before the show ever started. You hate to spend that money and then have a cancelation.

I wonder how many of these companies will miss imts, save ( $6 million in this case) money, and realize they just dont need imts. For $6 mil they could fly every member of this board out, feed us, show us around and send us back.

When you have hundreds of thousands or millions on the line, no it is not too early to freak out. Cost of booth, trucks and rigging, plane tickets, etc, etc.

I persopnally think everything is going kinda crazy. Media is talking about this 24/7. I think a lot is all hype. Just my 2cents.

Races around the world are canceled. The F1 race in Dubai is going to run with no spectators. The city of Columbus canceled the Arnold fitness expo last weekend. normally 350,000 competitors from around the world show up for it. Prolly the around the world part is what caused it to get canceled

Races around the world are canceled. The F1 race in Dubai is going to run with no spectators.
Don't know F1 but in smaller venues, the promoter usually gets the gate while the sanctioning body takes the teevee revenue. With people sitting home more, teevee could be worth even more .... but Ecclestone probably won't share :)

I guess it's a testimony to the lack of faith in goobermint, China went from zero to almost zero in three months, IMTS is six and a half months off, the virus could be controlled by then if people got their shit together. Or if you like it could run wild and burn itself out.

Anyway, I'd think six months is plenty of time ....

Agree, six million clams is stupid.

Alternatively, efforts to contain corona could fail spectacularly after which it will slowly become accepted as another fact of life like the flu. I give it a couple months before they just give up on quarantine efforts. By then, companies not participating may feel pretty stupid.

Cancelation could be about economic effects of the virus rather than the virus itself. That is, if you think the virus will cause even a short recession, and machine tool sales weren't going so well anyway, you might judge that IMTS will be a low return this year, even if the virus disappears from the Earth by 15 April.

Don't know F1 but in smaller venues, the promoter usually gets the gate while the sanctioning body takes the teevee revenue. With people sitting home more, teevee could be worth even more .... but Ecclestone probably won't share :)

I guess it's a testimony to the lack of faith in goobermint, China went from zero to almost zero in three months, IMTS is six and a half months off, the virus could be controlled by then if people got their shit together. Or if you like it could run wild and burn itself out.

Anyway, I'd think six months is plenty of time ....

Agree, six million clams is stupid.

Ecclestone is out. F1 is owned by Liberty Media now.

Ecclestone is out. F1 is owned by Liberty Media now.
He's such an evil bastard, you almost have to appreciate him :)

Don't you think they could run Indy with no fans ? Test all the drivers and crew, run it on teevee ?

Better than nothing, would still make money and be a race .... to be honest I don't much appreciate today's "racers" -- true story :

Motorcycle races sometimes get rained out, but everybody's already there, nothing to do but sit waiting, well, not when Springer is around. He went and found an empty warehouse, got everybody together with their pit bikes, put carpet on their boots, threw $5 each into a pot and had their own indoor National :D

DMG's plant in Pfronten was closed down for a week at the start of the month because one or more of their employees tested positive for the virus.

So they are probably taking a bit more seriously than others at the moment.

Alternatively, efforts to contain corona could fail spectacularly after which it will slowly become accepted as another fact of life like the flu. I give it a couple months before they just give up on quarantine efforts. By then, companies not participating may feel pretty stupid.

If efforts 'fail' I doubt anyone will feel stupid

They will be busy arranging funerals

worldwide, over 3 percent death rate

If efforts in a city of 100k 'fail' 3500 dead?

I don't see that happening, but it is worth planning and doing what one must to prevent such a thing

That is why we have brains

My understanding of DMG not being at IMTS is tied to their moving their Chicago campus to the South side at the IIT campus. During the last IMTS I read that they were no longer going to do IMTS because of rising costs in such a tight market. This new facility is less than a mile from McCormick Place and they planned to bus people from the show to their new facility. Now, with the COVID-19 scare, this seems like a preordained, wise move.

DMG MORI to Relocate U.S. Headquarters to Chicago’s South Side:

Modern Machine Shop

I think Frank Mari's idea of IMTS 2021 seems probable.

They could do IMTS in VR … (most of the demos cut 'Air" anyway.). (shrugging shoulders.).

But then the DMG Mori's sales people can't work their "Voodoo".

Hey maybe all the MTBs could hack their sales portals + price list quote generators to the interwebs.

You know list actual prices for two weeks ? (instead).

What would HAAS do ? They do that every day.

IMTS cancellation would not be good for vendors of stuff you have to scratch and sniff ~ Like tooling, clamping systems / work holding and other stuff that's difficult to visualize from bad documentation/ brochures. + robotics/ automation.

Back