What's new
What's new

Workholding Challenges

Uhhh...

Getting already proven workholding solutions, but cheaper.

There is that, and I would also love one of these (live center and/or adjustable v blocks are occasionally a pain in my ass.

We machine .002-.005 shim stock. Glue it down with spray adhesive, acetone off. :D

I recently machined some .010 steel shim stock, sandwiched it between 2 pieces of 1/4" plywood and toe clamped the sandwich to the table.

Yours might be easier for smaller parts, these were 15" long and about 2" wide.

I would love to hear what some of your biggest workholding challenges are. We are always looking for feedback on what the industry can be doing better and what you guys need to be successful. TIA

Sounds like a sales pitch.

From my experience the biggest problem with workholding was getting the customer to understand that it's an investment that will pay off in the long term. If you need a $100,000 hydraulic fixture, buy it. Don't try to lip along with some cobbled up abortion.

Of course, that means they have to commit to buying the number of parts they say that want. Makes it hard for them to do the RFQ for 250,000 per year and then order 250 and expect to pay the 1/4 million price. Not that that ever happens...

Depends on what is being machined. And the size. I rarely do a Job that doesn't require a crane.

Some times with larger welded items you need to clamp them, as well as put extra jacks with rubber on them to absorb some of the vibrations.

Biggest is loading say 4+ tone on your table. Then having to take it off and flip it for the next operation etc etc.

i have had to add jam nuts to pushers and hold down clamps as vibration will loosen everything up. cannot use more torque as it distorts part so the jam nuts are used to keep the lower torqued items from vibrating loose

Back