What's new
What's new

Would someone like to try out this 4th axis fixture?

DSMWerks

Aluminum
If you make a bunch of parts in the 4"x4"x4" size range and have a 4th axis I would like to send you this fixture to try out and let me know what you think. Sort of beta testing I guess. Shoot me an email if you have a number of jobs to try it. 5 axis indexing is really easy with this.
email me at
[email protected] if you would like to play with it for a while.
thanks,

Attachments

• v62.jpg
    v62.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,842
  • 2x2x4 side.jpg
    2x2x4 side.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,249
  • 4x adapter.jpg
    4x adapter.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,223
So - it's a manual index 5th?

If so - that sounds interesting.
... not for me (today) but ... interesting to say the least.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

A video showing the machine working (how hard are you pushing the endmill)
and index speed, would go far (very)

Yes, I use it for full 4th axis to reach anything I can and edit in an option stop and manually index to one of eight locations and continue on. It will take more of a heavy cut than the dovetail will allow. Its made from heat treated 4140 and the bearings are rated for 71,000 N static load. There is a larger dovetail with a little more bite that I put on them also. The 5th Axis D115 is my favorite but the D22 is larger. But anything you do on a dovetail fixture this will handle. Here is a video to help you see what its capable of doing.

YouTube

Yes, I use it for full 4th axis to reach anything I can and edit in an option stop and manually index to one of eight locations and continue on. It will take more of a heavy cut than the dovetail will allow. Its made from heat treated 4140 and the bearings are rated for 71,000 N static load. There is a larger dovetail with a little more bite that I put on them also. The 5th Axis D115 is my favorite but the D22 is larger. But anything you do on a dovetail fixture this will handle. Here is a video to help you see what its capable of doing.

YouTube

Much better.

I would change the video to add the sound from the machine, as well as running at actual speed (just for a short time so we can see/hear "real time")

I like it!

I would probably buy one if you adapted the end to a Lang/5th Axis/Jergens 96mm grid pattern. The construction looks very solid.

Also, great job on the video. Way too many folks cook stuff up and never even attempt to show it off, I don't want to have to work to figure out the features and benefits.

Funny you mentioned the Lang/5th axis 96mm bases. That one is in the works right now. But the bulk of my work is 4" cubed or less so this was my priority but soon realized if it works this well on small stuff maybe bigger would work too.

That's pretty slick! If we didn't have a 5ax already I'd be interested.
And good job with the video by not putting in music! :)

Funny you mentioned the Lang/5th axis 96mm bases. That one is in the works right now. But the bulk of my work is 4" cubed or less so this was my priority but soon realized if it works this well on small stuff maybe bigger would work too.

I already have a trunnion set up with a Lang on the work side. It is sorta similar to this, but you can only index 90 degrees.

What I'm thinking is that a 96mm grid standard on the connection to the rotary table side. A lot of us want a quick way to get fixtures on/off the 4th axis, so we have a Lang or 5th Axis grid permanently mounted to the face plate.

I have no need as I do not have a 4th axis. But inquiring minds want to know, how is the dovetail fixture attached to the spindle? Does the spindle have a though hole so a screw can go through the spindle?

The 5th Axis guys are local to me and I really like their products. The D115 and D22 dovetail fixtures are basically a cube with two pins on the bottom and two holes for bolts that hold it to the spindle. My spindle does not have a hole through it, Yet anyway. That why I am looking for feedback on it, never know what else could be needed until a new set of eyes looks at it.

I dont use dovetails, but if you made them with a delta vise from orange or anyone else that makes small vises that thing would open a whole new world for guys that dont have 5 axis capabilities and do small work on vises.

Extreamly nice work and good idea.

I really like the idea man. There's a lot of times where a 5-axis trunnion, etc. would be so handy - but it's not justifiable. This is pretty dang slick.

Thanks Guys! I was hoping others would see the value in it. I just cant justify getting all the set up for a real 5 axis but this is a bridge for now and working great for me. I have another slightly larger on in the works that uses the 5th axis V75100X vise because I can see that doing a lot of work for me as well. 5th axis is local to me and I love their products. They have such an awesome shop. I'll get going and post some pics of the vise version and look for someone to test it out as well.

Back