What's new
What's new

Writng Gcode program assistance......

MwTech Inc

Titanium
Here's where i'm at......

I brought home the ol Hitachi Seiki va-40...yes i know its old...LOL

Anyway i have the machine ready to go...all problems fixed:D (way more than 1 ....:willy_nilly:)

I was able to hack into an old program left in memory and the machine did "run" automatically till the end with a tool change also..:D:D

What i thought would be the easiest now has become the hardest.....

I need help writing a small program.......3 tools

Fanuc 6m system version 13
Machine does have g54-59

I think if I get help with the first one I'll be able to go from there.

I tried duplicating what I found in the old programs but must be missing something.......

Not enough information. you should post your attempt at the code, plus what you're trying to do.

If you're hand coding, I recommend NCPlot to backplot and see if it's doing what you want.

Update
A friend of mine can do a drawing in some cad program he has...

How do i get that drawing into the ol girl via the rs232 port??
The cad drawing will not magically turn into a finished part, you will need to apply toolpaths to it in a cam software and then use a post processor that your machine will read or hand code it from the drawing.

Update
A friend of mine can do a drawing in some cad program he has...

How do i get that drawing into the ol girl via the rs232 port??

Print the drawing out (TO SCALE!!!!!)

Hold it up in front of the control for 30 seconds.

Hit cycle start.

Retrieve good part.

Teach me

I wish I could do that....LOL I love that answer.....LOL Thanks for a good laugh

Well forget this thread...........today it starts up with 8 alarm messages so I'm done with it for now.........:willy_nilly:

I only picked up this thing to mess around........ I was going to use it to cut some plastic parts........

Yesterday all is good ...today is crap

I swear CNC machines were made to drive the poor souls who have them crazy...........

well i must add this.......

For some unknown reason the interface cable off the motherboard backed out just enough to cause all the alarms.:willy_nilly:

It the only plug they don't provide screws for retention:confused:

Anyway machine is back working and i was able to write a small program to make it move the axis around, back and forth,up/down, change a tool , run spindle and make half circles:)

Haven't figured out how to get g02 and 3 to make a complete circle yet.

Found a program to take a drawing and make gcode, actually has a 6mb selection for generating the code....

What i have to do is small so i will just enter by hand.

I think i will try and hold the drawing in front of the controller, maybe this ol girl will do it......:D:D I did clean and polish the screen:D:D

I must say Garwood was right that I was going to have quite the learning curve with my first CNC.

Makes my 30 years of manual machining look easy......

thks 706jim

so how do I place that circle?

From the center point?
Understand I must offset the values for the tool bit, in my case .250 using a .500 endmill to be cutting on the outside edge...right?

thks 706jim

so how do I place that circle?

From the center point?
Understand I must offset the values for the tool bit, in my case .250 using a .500 endmill to be cutting on the outside edge...right?

X=3.000 Y0 from your center.

It's so much easier these days.
On the 80's controls, at least on Acramatics, [IIRC] we had to program every quadrant.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

R is simpler to me. But, to do a complete circle you need to program each half of the radius. Hope that makes sense.

Paul

R....
a lot of folks say to stay away from that..........

So i think not to confuse myself i'll do the I J thing...LOL

When using I/J/K format, you describe to the control, the position of the arc centre relative to the start coordinate of the arc, which you have also specified in the program. The main reason for treating the "R" format with caution, is that when using I/J/K format, a check is done by the control to ensure the radius of the arc from the arc centre to the end point of the arc specified in the program is the same, within a tlerance set in parameters, as the radius from arc centre to the start point specified in the program. If its not, the program is halted and an alarm is raised.

When using the "R" format, within the program, you specify the start and end coordinates, plus the radius of the arc. From that, the control calculates where the arc centre is using the algorithm for an arc through 2 points with a given radius. If a mistake is made with regards to specifying the start, or end point coordinates of the arc, the control simply calculates the arc centre based on the wrong coordinates and shifts the arc centre from where it would be for the correct start/end coordinates. This, of course, will affect the accuracy of the profile and usually doesn't become known until the finished machined part goes to inspection. With I/J/K format, the control alerts to the error before the arc feature is cut and remedial steps can be taken. Start/end point coordinate errors are far more likely with a manually calculated, Finger Cam program than one produced using CAM software.

A second reason I/J/K format is more desirable than R format, is that with some (many) Start/End Coordinate and Radius specified arcs, the result is not as accurate as when using I/J/K format, particularly when programming a full circle. When programming using the I/J/K format, whether using a calculator, or CAM software, the centre of the arc is calculated using double precision numbers, or can be in the case when using a calculator (its up to the operator as to the accuracy of the numbers used). All motion control software calculates the trajectory of an arc based on the Centre Coordinate of the arc, the Start Coordinate and the number of degrees the End Coordinate is from the Start Coordinate of the arc. Accordingly, the accuracy of the arc centre is very important.

As mentioned, when using I/J/K format, the arc centre is pre-calculated for the control using high precision numbers. When using R Format, the numbers specifying the Start/End and Radius of the arc have already been rounded to the least programmable increment of the control and therefore, at best, the control can only use numbers that are accurate to three or four decimal places when calculating the centre coordinates of the arc. In the majority of cases, in practical terms, this inaccuracy won't be detectable in the work-piece, but it can be measurable when the feature being machined is a full circle.

When programming a full circle using R Format, most will opt to program 2 x 180 degree arcs and this is how the Post Processor of probably all CAM software will be set up. In this case, the control will have to calculate two arc centre coordinate sets in the execution of the full circle; one set for each 180deg arc. If one is hell bent on using the "R" format and where full circles are involved, a more accurate result will be obtained by programming, say, 359degs of the arc for the first part and the final 1deg for the last part of the circle. Two arc centres will still be calculated by the control, but for practical purposes, extremely hard to detect an error. When programming an arc through more than 180degs using "R" Format, the "R" address is specified as a minus value.

Regards,

Bill

Back