Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by XD341 View Post
    I bought a machine from a dealer that used to service DMG/Mori, the tech was in setting things up and we got talking. They loved Mori lathes, but several of the machines with the floating Y axis on the column were referred to as "the diving board machines", I guess after a while it became tough to keep things flat and square. That video kinda demonstrates the issues with that design.
    The M300 series certainly fell into that category.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    Or you could:

1- Use a way better holder with less gauge length.
    2- Use the modern HSM techniques that machine was designed for.
    3- Not run abusive speeds/feeds.
    Or just have bottomless pocketbooks and buy a bigger machine.... but you run what you brung so you do with it as you can.
    Why the effort to shit on this guy?
    Is it the ego and the stand tall and proud that upsets people?
    What makes you not happy?
    Bob

3. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Or just have bottomless pocketbooks and buy a bigger machine.... but you run what you brung so you do with it as you can.
    Bob
    Because it wasn't a competent test/demonstration of anything. He:

1- Used the wrong machine (I am sure Ti-TAN has access to a 50 taper he could film on).

AND

2- Used it the wrong way (hanging the cut way out in Y).

AND

3- Used the wrong holder with way too much gauge length and a bizarre neck configuration.

In the end, all he wound up doing was producing a really shitty cut. He did prove the end mill is pretty amazingly beefy, but at the expense of probably not doing any favors to that machine. There were better ways for him to make that point without hammering on $300k of mill, and someone who wants to be educating folks about machining shouldn't be hot-dogging stuff like that.

5. Likes JCByrd24 liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    Or you could:

1- Use a way better holder with less gauge length.
    2- Use the modern HSM techniques that machine was designed for.
    3- Not run abusive speeds/feeds.
    What would be good to see is if the 5/8 version of this tool would cut better (ie the same demo without beating the machine to pieces) or actually break.

And then the original 3/4 tool re-'grammed with HS paths and short holder, and see the machine cutting hard, but within its limitations.
    I think it would be very impressive because the cutter obviously is.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

looks like Titan released another video showing just the cuts.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kenpark849 View Post

looks like Titan released another video showing just the cuts.
    Kennametal beat him to it...
    YouTube

9. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    LATVIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

except that Kennametal chickened out after 2xD depth and half the feed per tooth of what Titan had at 2.5xD depth...

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jz79 View Post
    except that Kennametal chickened out after 2xD depth and half the feed per tooth of what Titan had at 2.5xD depth...

Yeah but Kennametal's setup and machine were rigid enough that the tool would have snapped as in a real world situation. Ti's Video was about as rigid as a limp pecker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    I don't get it either. I think it's just the anonymity of the internet.
    This wasn't a "test" it was just a video of him pushing the end mill to see how much it could handle. That's it. Nothing "real world" about it. He even says they are gonna try and break that end mill and says not to do this.

But people still want to shit on it.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From his youtube comments.
    Hmmm...Nothing about the machine flexing...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg  

14. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    This wasn't a "test" it was just a video of him pushing the end mill to see how much it could handle. That's it. Nothing "real world" about it. He even says they are gonna try and break that end mill and says not to do this.

Hey, the world needs assholes.

16. Likes 2outof3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the issue is the machine abuse of a very expensive machine. Would you test mud or snow tires on a brand new Corvette.....no. You know the saying "he's hard on equipment". Some of us who don't have such nice machines hate to see someone that does abuse them, especially if done so knowingly.

18. Likes mhajicek, gkoenig liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    Kennametal beat him to it...
    YouTube
    Thanks for posting that...

^^^ same link but embedded.

Really interesting that "Faceted eccentric relief" + chip gashes within the flutes.

The 45 degree ramping and how clean the surfaces are geometrically were pretty surprising to me.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

XD341 mentions "Diving board machines" with a floating y axis , that seems more reminiscent of the DMU 65 monoblocks (and that series) that has this really long casting that floats in Y unsupported. looks like in the Kennametal video they use a bigger DMG Mori monoblock to make these cuts , but to my eye the DMU 50 3rd gen has a smaller force loop and more direct and compact support in Y than the DMU 65 (and on up) monoblock. Maybe that's why Titan had a go at 2/12D.

Those chips...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This wasn't a "test" it was just a video of him pushing the end mill to see how much it could handle.
    From the Youtube description:

CRAZY KENNAMETAL “HARVI 1 TE” TEST - Full Horse Power - 45 Degree Full Diameter Ramp Straight Down into 1018 Steel - Into a Full Slot...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Radar987 View Post
    From the Youtube description:
    No shit, hence the "test" in my reply. He was trying to see how hard he could push it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can't speak for anyone else but the reason I don't like the guy is the over blown sensationalism he brings. I get that it's a show, and that corny crap sells but while it does bring eyes and interest it also suggests that people in manufacturing are like that...and they aren't.

People that run gold mines or fish for crab aren't like they are portrayed on those shows either. I want people to be interested in manufacturing but I don't need a shop full of WWE fans either. I need a shop full of people that love to learn and create and perfect and understand the process and tools they use.

That dude just portrays something that can sell and he gets paid well for it, it's just not real. No real business owner if going to risk junking a spindle to see if he can break a tool. He was given the tool, he was probably given the machine and he makes more being a clown on TV than from cutting chips.

You want to do something explain why it works, or explain why it cut like a limp dick, this work is applied engineering if you are bright enough to pay attention. He can't do either of those things because he is being paid to shill for whomever.

I dunno...I guess I'm grumpy today but that guy irks the shit out of me.

23. Likes g-coder05, mhajicek, Vancbiker, 2outof3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

he makes more being a clown on TV than from cutting chips.

You want to do something explain why it works, or explain why it cut like a limp dick, this work is applied engineering if you are bright enough to pay attention. He can't do either of those things because he is being paid to shill for whomever.

I don't think he's been on tv in a long time. I could be wrong but my cable provider never carried the channel he aired on.

Anyway, he's a lot more than that. He has an entire academy dedicated to teaching people, with courses, lessons, downloads, etc...
    And I'm sure that he's partially responsible for the massive influx of people wanting to learn Fusion 360.

TITANS of CNC: Academy

25. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No shit, hence the "test" in my reply. He was trying to see how hard he could push it.
    If his spindle goes out, should DMG Mori warranty it?

27. Likes cameraman, Mtndew liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can't speak for anyone else but the reason I don't like the guy is the over blown sensationalism he brings. I get that it's a show, and that corny crap sells but while it does bring eyes and interest it also suggests that people in manufacturing are like that...and they aren't.

People that run gold mines or fish for crab aren't like they are portrayed on those shows either. I want people to be interested in manufacturing but I don't need a shop full of WWE fans either. I need a shop full of people that love to learn and create and perfect and understand the process and tools they use.

That dude just portrays something that can sell and he gets paid well for it, it's just not real. No real business owner if going to risk junking a spindle to see if he can break a tool. He was given the tool, he was probably given the machine and he makes more being a clown on TV than from cutting chips.

I never watched the TV show, I've seen snippits and it is a little cringe making but I think he's changed his mindset a great deal / more comfortable with the "Medium" and less defensive and comes off as having less to prove.

But +1 on the mindset though, even though his "Bag" currently is aerospace (oriented) at least means to be and has been pushing the "Trillion $" future industry (spectral) up-tick.

I think in some cases he does struggle to explain stuff (to others) but I think most get what he means but a lot of times there's not so much of a "Deep" dive.

Not sure how his grander plans and vision are going to play out and how to close the gap on that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2outof3 View Post
    If his spindle goes out, should DMG Mori warranty it?
    It "Comes" with a 36 month warranty, not sure which spindle he has. Can dig up eventually / who cares lol ?

It's on camera and it's on youtube.

Does DMG Mori have his back ?

Dunno ?

Titan has a sense of humor hopefully DMG Mori doooo toooo.