Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
    It "Comes" with a 36 month warranty, not sure which spindle he has. Can dig up eventually / who cares lol ?

It's on camera and it's on youtube.

Does DMG Mori have his back ?

Dunno ?

Titan has a sense of humor hopefully DMG Mori doooo toooo.
    Damage from abuse is not covered under the warranty. My bet it is a $30k plus cost item.

2. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2outof3 View Post
    Damage from abuse is not covered under the warranty. My bet it is a $30k plus cost item.
    That would be my guess too ~ $25K ish plus install (unless he plumped for the high torque spindle +++ ).

The one of several "Other" German brand almost get in your face about proper tool balancing (before you buy) for 18K + rpm (or faster) spindles (HSK 63) + all the gear that goes with that 'cuz they don't want the hassle either. They make it pretty clear up front to make sure you have the means and know how not to trash your machine if at all possible.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They really trying to sell this thing eh?

My MSC guy was here yesterday "Hey check out this new Kennametal endmill..."

At least he was going to show me the Kennametal video and not titan's.

But is it worth the cost? Looks to be about 20-25% more than the guhring divers I use.

I'm betting a Ø3/4" diver could make that same cut in the video. Might have to try that on our 50 taper.

On my VF2 I've ran Ø1/2" divers until they pull out of our emuge milling chucks. Never did try a sidelock. Maybe someday, but no time for such fuckery lately though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If his spindle goes out, should DMG Mori warranty it?
    I would think that's between the MTB and the owner of the machine, unless Mori has a strict policy of "this is the price, period".

I know we've haggled with Gosiger before on one of our Okuma spindles and didn't pay full price.

And who even knows if the spindle is bad?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    I would think that's between the MTB and the owner of the machine, unless Mori has a strict policy of "this is the price, period".

I know we've haggled with Gosiger before on one of our Okuma spindles and didn't pay full price.

And who even knows if the spindle is bad?
    That is not my point. First off, I have no idea if the spindle is bad and would not expect that cut by itself would cause damage but it could. Mine was a hypothetical question. It shows the issue with amateurs selling their test results as anything other than fucking off. There is nothing to learn from that cut. No data to mine, no experience to pass along. No machine tool builder or tooling supplier would ever share that video. it is not bad enough to make the blooper real and has no real world applications.

Just bad machining.

7. Likes Vancbiker, JCByrd24, gkoenig liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is nothing to learn from that cut. No data to mine, no experience to pass along.
    I agree,and it was also presented that way IMO. He said "don't do this", and he was just trying to see if the end mill could handle those parameters.
    I don't get why some people are getting all bent out of shape over this video.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by XD341 View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else but the reason I don't like the guy is the over blown sensationalism he brings. I get that it's a show, and that corny crap sells but while it does bring eyes and interest it also suggests that people in manufacturing are like that...and they aren't.

People that run gold mines or fish for crab aren't like they are portrayed on those shows either. I want people to be interested in manufacturing but I don't need a shop full of WWE fans either. I need a shop full of people that love to learn and create and perfect and understand the process and tools they use.

That dude just portrays something that can sell and he gets paid well for it, it's just not real. No real business owner if going to risk junking a spindle to see if he can break a tool. He was given the tool, he was probably given the machine and he makes more being a clown on TV than from cutting chips.

You want to do something explain why it works, or explain why it cut like a limp dick, this work is applied engineering if you are bright enough to pay attention. He can't do either of those things because he is being paid to shill for whomever.

I dunno...I guess I'm grumpy today but that guy irks the shit out of me.

Careful, You may get one of these too......

Mr. Hood,

Please find the attached cease and desist letter outlining actions needing to be taken on your part. Quick and immediate compliance is requested. Please confirm receipt and actions taken.

Sincerely,
    Matt Shilling
    [email protected]
    Vice President | TITANS of CNC

10. Likes DavidScott, TeachMePlease, gkoenig liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    I agree,and it was also presented that way IMO. He said "don't do this", and he was just trying to see if the end mill could handle those parameters.
    I don't get why some people are getting all bent out of shape over this video.
    I am not bent out of shape but he claims to be a proponent of educating people on manufacturing. Some could watch that and think it has educational value. Throwing shit together on a machine is not teaching and is not helpful with learning machining and making better manufacturing engineers. It is just fucking off, that is all. It does show bad machining and what not to do and maybe if he labeled it as "shit not to do" on your employers or your machine than it might have had value. Pushing to the point of breaking end mills is for machines that rapid at 400 IPM and have 6,000 RPM max spindle. In other words from 1985.

12. Likes gkoenig liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    Ohhh deary me,

What did you do to get one of those ?

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ohhh deary me,

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Something something, Mtndew whining about people shitting on Titan?

Well, giving the guy a little shit for his persona and clown business seems a lot less severe than having the legal team fire off C&D letters to folks over random internet posts.

16. Likes Milland liked this post
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ohhh deary me,

Well, I have a very detailed page written of why and what happened but lets just say he don't like being exposed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I have a very detailed page written of why and what happened but lets just say he don't like being exposed.
    You tease! Where?

19. Likes g-coder05 liked this post
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    You tease! Where?

Haha, It's coming. Just gotta get the Ok stamp the legal guru's.

I can say that if you call him a name on Facebook, That's a good way to get a letter like mine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can say that if you call him a name on Facebook, That's a good way to get a letter like mine.
    Ohhh boy , your chosen battleground was the "Book of Face" …

One thing I have observed is that you are very tenacious (in a good way) like a Rottweiler with a really tasty bone fresh from the butcher and also very complete and extremely thorough especially with getting to the bottom of things.

I cannot even begin to image the back and fourth here ; Ohhh the inter-webs (face palm).

Oh well we are a machining community ( all 4 corners of the planet) --------- > kumbaya

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is VERY unfortunate that he (Titan) doesn't like any confrontation. I get it's his ball game, so he makes the rules but...
    A year+ ago he posted something, and a good friend replied disagreeing - Nicely put and professional, and Titan replied badly.
    My friend replied politely again and just plain disagreed.
    Titan post-edited his replies a few times, then deleted a few things overnight, then edited some more, and the conclusion was my friend left his group.
    A HUGE shame, as this guy is one of the best in the world at Swiss (he works in the medical industry) and there's minimal Swiss support in the group.
    Another sad thing was the fallout as another friend was banned. He teaches Mastercam and is also no fool in the 5ax world.
    It was a ridiculous situation, but like I said, his rules so he can do what he wants.

23. Likes 2outof3, mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    He's using that machine in ways it's not really intended for, IMO. That's not an ax, it's a rapier, so that movement is axis shifting along with the spindle screaming a bit for help.

Still, an impressive display of that endmill's capability. Glad it's not my machines though.

^^^ Here's the rapier you speak of …

"1/2” Dia KOR 5 from Kennametal taking 180 Cubes (MRR calculated at deepest depth).

1600 IPM / 19600 RPM " [Emphasis added].

Soooo a 20K spindle.

Kind of impressive moves for a 16,000 lb machine with a Ram style assembly (top deck) that must weight of the order of 3500 lbs +++ ?

+ full (axial) engagement of the tool / stability in cut and MRR + Powermill (FWIW ?).

DMG Mori (in spite of everything else ) did try to make the 3rd gen much faster, and implement more extensive cooling through the machine and hence also be beefier in terms of inertia for increased speed.

Anyhoo

lol ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back in WWII we had the "Aluminum Overcast". I guess the Germans responded with an aluminum snowstorm.

26. Likes cameraman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^^^ Here's the rapier you speak of …
    Still wanna know what is up with that stupid holder. It seems to have a lot of gauge length for... nothing? It is as if Kennametal (who I assume provided it) just bought an HSK blank and welded a bulky hydraulic unit onto it. It is way too big to bring anything to the table as far as reach in a 5ax application is concerned.

Titan is sponsored by Schunk, you figure he would use one of their holders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    Still wanna know what is up with that stupid holder. It seems to have a lot of gauge length for... nothing? It is as if Kennametal (who I assume provided it) just bought an HSK blank and welded a bulky hydraulic unit onto it. It is way too big to bring anything to the table as far as reach in a 5ax application is concerned.

Titan is sponsored by Schunk, you figure he would use one of their holders.
    That holder looks a whole lot like a much-bigger-than-the-tool hydraulic.

As in, I have a bunch of bigger hydraulics in the 20-32mm range on 40 taper that look just like that.

So if I had to guess, I'd say that's a 25mm or 32mm hydraulic holder with a sleeve for a 12mm tool (or inch equivalent etc...)

A holder with the actual bore size of the tool shank would be much more compact than that.

That's why I always try to avoid using sleeves in hydraulics, and use the actual correct size holder instead.