What's new
What's new

XAxis faulting

Archievb

Plastic
Hope I picked right area if not please tell me where to move it to except scrap yard :)
1. Lagun
2. Date don’t know where to look I can give code stamped near y axis handle?
3. FTV-2
4. SWI proto trak MX2
5. not sure electrical/mechanical
6. Again not sure however proto trak MX-2
Pendant pt# 15814R Rev. H, 3/22/10
Computer Module pt# 15837-1R Rev.G
3/23/10
Manually each axis feels same not bound but I’m human
Y Axis works flawlessly in jog or program
X Axis consistently faults in jog or program after moving without noise grinding etc after 1.0”
Take x belt off, same result but not sure if because encoder isn’t moving
Maybe a big mistake but unplugged x and y motors and encoders, both fault. Figured worth a shot
Took x motor apart looked good and had local shop seat some new brushes and bolted back on.
Did a few service codes I could find online and still faults
I don’t think machine saw a lot of love but I bought anyway. Didn’t know if I should pull table and clean / oil everything and start from square 1 which I’d like to do at some point but if I can find out if this is a BIG $$$ fix I’ll sell as a manual machine.

There are different types of scales. Most are glass but there are magnetic ones too. In any case, if your machine is using a scale to provide position feedback it can easily be the cause of the trouble you describe if the scale is not sending feedback to the control. Glass scales are optical devices and can give bad signals if dirty/contaminated by oil or coolant. Cleaning the scale and reader head will often fix things if that is the case. Other times there is a failure in the reader head. That will require replacement. Also if chips have gotten into the scale they will scratch the grating. That also requires replacement to fix.

Nope, mine is not glass. It’s the kind where the wheel directly touches the steel of the table.
If I manually crank table and readout dimensions are moving do you still think it could be scale??

Thank you for your help

What an idiot I am. I don’t know if this helps, I just noticed that x doesn’t jog correctly.
In jog you just tap the x button on the pendant and it travels till it faults while the y works as supposed to tap moves and stops. Hold y and continues to jog like supposed to.

I sei figured it out. Pretty sure it’s control module. I thin motor is fine either way it’s not faulting anymore and works as it should.
Thanks again for all your help.
Need someone to refurbish it if anything comes to mind

Back