XR-1000 tool release
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Granville,NY,USA
    Posts
    3,925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    316
    Likes (Received)
    418

    Default XR-1000 tool release

    I'm kind of at the end of my rope.

    We had an event on the Bridgeport XR-1000 VMC. We seized a tool in a part and in the frakus we pulled the tool out of the spindle without pushing the tool release button. As part of the event we broke the spindle belts. I replaced the belts and got back up and running. The old stock belts I had did not stay tight and we ran into some belt slippage. We ran some parts and made about 150 tool changes without trouble. I ordered in some new belts and replaced them as before.

    Now the tool knock out won't stroke far enough to release the tool. For the life of me I cannot see what's not working right.
    The cylinder is not leaking.
    The air/oil booster seems to be happy and bled.
    The KO cylinder stokes and stops solidly just short of the switch.

    I shut the machine down and went for a dirt ride in BC for a week. Oddly that did not fix it.

    Today I pulled the KO cylinder again to make sure I did not have debris in the wrong place..

    I'm open to ideas to check.

    I have my local tech coming tomorrow afternoon.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    366
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    293
    Likes (Received)
    116

    Default

    Broken bellevilles maybe? If you yanked it out against it's will, you could have damaged the drawbar assembly.

  3. Likes Vancbiker liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    708
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    335
    Likes (Received)
    438

    Default

    There is a good chance the muffler is just plugged up not letting the air escape on the other side of the piston. I'm surprised that the dirt bike trip didn't fix it.

    Edit: It looks like there are 2 mufflers, so just remove both and see if that works. If it is the belleville washers as suggested above I have a couple of new drawbars with washers, but will have to check the length.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Granville,NY,USA
    Posts
    3,925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    316
    Likes (Received)
    418

    Default

    I'll check the muffler on the valve. I did pull the line on the quick exhaust and that is working fine. It did not get any better when I pulled the line so that rules out that muff.

    I was really hopping that dirt trip was going to fix it. It seemed like a good tact. Even soaked my ass in a hot tub every morning listening to Loons and watching bald eagles before breakfast..

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    4,418
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    808
    Likes (Received)
    2374

    Default

    At shop I retired from we had a policy to at least test retention force and all other drawbar operations after unintentionally removing a tool from a spindle. The unrestrained "snap back" when a toolholder gets pulled out of the taper can easily damage drawbar parts.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Granville,NY,USA
    Posts
    3,925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    316
    Likes (Received)
    418

    Default

    Busted bellevills.
    Was all going well until the nut galled on the end of the drawbar and now it's a one piece unit.

    So much fun was had.....

  8. Likes Garwood, TeachMePlease, PegroProX440 liked this post
  9. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Granville,NY,USA
    Posts
    3,925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    316
    Likes (Received)
    418

    Default

    Well. What a fun trip indeed.
    Finally got the filthy whore running again today.
    The knock out issue was a matter of adjustment of the knockout cylinder. Turns out it has a threaded portion and a locking mechanism that was loose. We did replace the drawbar as we had some broken springs.
    While we were at it I fixed the mount for the door on the side of the head. It's been droopy and a PITA since I have had the machine.
    Piss poor system and someone bent the piss out of it.

    All better now.


  10. Likes PegroProX440 liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •