What's new
What's new

XR-1000 tool release

ARB

Titanium
I'm kind of at the end of my rope.

We had an event on the Bridgeport XR-1000 VMC. We seized a tool in a part and in the frakus we pulled the tool out of the spindle without pushing the tool release button. :eek: As part of the event we broke the spindle belts. I replaced the belts and got back up and running. The old stock belts I had did not stay tight and we ran into some belt slippage. We ran some parts and made about 150 tool changes without trouble. I ordered in some new belts and replaced them as before.

Now the tool knock out won't stroke far enough to release the tool. For the life of me I cannot see what's not working right.
The cylinder is not leaking.
The air/oil booster seems to be happy and bled.
The KO cylinder stokes and stops solidly just short of the switch.

I shut the machine down and went for a dirt ride in BC for a week. Oddly that did not fix it. :D

Today I pulled the KO cylinder again to make sure I did not have debris in the wrong place..

I'm open to ideas to check.

I have my local tech coming tomorrow afternoon.

Broken bellevilles maybe? If you yanked it out against it's will, you could have damaged the drawbar assembly.

There is a good chance the muffler is just plugged up not letting the air escape on the other side of the piston. I'm surprised that the dirt bike trip didn't fix it. :)

Edit: It looks like there are 2 mufflers, so just remove both and see if that works. If it is the belleville washers as suggested above I have a couple of new drawbars with washers, but will have to check the length.

I'll check the muffler on the valve. I did pull the line on the quick exhaust and that is working fine. It did not get any better when I pulled the line so that rules out that ************.

I was really hopping that dirt trip was going to fix it. It seemed like a good tact. Even soaked my ass in a hot tub every morning listening to Loons and watching bald eagles before breakfast..

At shop I retired from we had a policy to at least test retention force and all other drawbar operations after unintentionally removing a tool from a spindle. The unrestrained "snap back" when a toolholder gets pulled out of the taper can easily damage drawbar parts.

Busted bellevills.
Was all going well until the nut galled on the end of the drawbar and now it's a one piece unit.:bawling:

So much fun was had.....

Well. What a fun trip indeed.
Finally got the filthy whore running again today.
The knock out issue was a matter of adjustment of the knockout cylinder. Turns out it has a threaded portion and a locking mechanism that was loose. We did replace the drawbar as we had some broken springs.
While we were at it I fixed the mount for the door on the side of the head. It's been droopy and a PITA since I have had the machine.
Piss poor system and someone bent the piss out of it.

All better now.

:drink:

Back