What's new
What's new

XYZ Lathes

lee182

Plastic
Hi

Does anyone here run/have experience using XYZ lathes ?

I am in the early stages of looking into a large CNC lathe something similar to the Haas TL3B, I have seen that XYZ offer a few large lathe options and oil country models.

Would be interested to hear from anyone that has experience with these machines regarding performance/service etc.

Thanks Lee

I have a friend who is a lathe guy, he swears by them, runs two at his work. I've not ran one personally, and the ones he runs are not the big ones, but I'd certainly consider one after his feedback.

No personal experience, but I think they are a gnats ass hair away from being on the DNmention list here. Why they aren't already, could be any nuber of reasons.

R

I've only used the smaller lathes, they are ok, nothing special. they always seem willing to do a deal, if I was looking for that sort of thing I would go to there HQ and have a look!

a few years ago I did have some problems with accuracy with there VMC's but I'm told they are improving.

they have a very good stock of spares, and good service people, having said that I'm only 20miles from them, your location may vary.

the machines aren't made in the UK, they ship them in from all over, mostly Taiwan.

LitleRob1, if I'm understanding you correctly you're saying they might be on the banned list here? why would that be? their machines show haas stuff up all day long!

I think XYZ Machine Tools is mostly a UK area importer name brand? I kinda doubt we'd see those in North america. Their name was mentioned a few times here before, also members around UK area.

There's also a XYZ-cnc which is mostly toys. and XYZ-tech which appears to be mostly industrial laser/plasma/routers/knife cutters etc.

I think XYZ Machine Tools is mostly a UK area importer name brand? I kinda doubt we'd see those in North america. Their name was mentioned a few times here before, also members around UK area.

that is correct, they are based in Devon UK and import machines. I think they are the biggest machine supplier in the UK but might be wrong.

they started off bringing in SWI proto track machines. so you have very similar machines in the USA.

LitleRob1, if I'm understanding you correctly you're saying they might be on the banned list here? why would that be? their machines show haas stuff up all day long!

My exposure, and misunderstanding must be where SND is talking "XYZ-CNC". I thought they were the same thing, my apologies. The XYZ-CNC pieces I saw were 5 Axis Milling machines for $1700.00 or something.

R

that is correct, they are based in Devon UK and import machines. I think they are the biggest machine supplier in the UK but might be wrong.

they started off bringing in SWI proto track machines. so you have very similar machines in the USA.
As I understand it they are still basically the same machines, the iron is from the same manufacturer, King Rich - Taiwan, is the one I've seen on a lot of them with the SWI Prototrack control.

The non-prototrack machines all seem to be Taiwanese iron as well but seperate to the SWI line, I've seen a lot of the same basic machines sold in the US under different brands, the CT52 lathe particually.

I've not really used any XYZ machines past a slightly worn out Bridgeport clone which was fine but I did get a demo on a Proturn 1630 with the Prototrack control at Mach (2016?), I'd definately arrange to go to a showroom for a demo or if it's not an immediate purchase Mach 2020 isn't that far away really and they always seem to have a pretty good range on show.

Thanks guys,

I am Torbay area so there HQ is very close, Will give them a call.. Also good point on Mach 2020, Crazy how fast that show has come around again!!

Looked at the Haas TL3B a couple of years ago but i believe they no longer make this machine, Guessing the XYZ will be similar build and quality as the Haas, Although the XYZ looks like its a box way machine so maybe a little better rigidity..

Another brand i have looked at is CMZ but again i don't know much about them yet so will have to research further.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply

Lee

I'm going to point a fact out, take it for what it's worth.

We have no idea what size parts you're working on. "Big" is relative to the person saying it, same with small. Big might mean 10' diameter, or 2" diameter. If you're talking to a Swiss guy (insert joke here) 3" diameter is BIG. So we have no frame of reference.

With that being said, jumping from a Haas comparable lathe to CMZ is quite a leap. CMZ is known for dealing with CNC parts that they consider Large (550mm diameter x 3200mm long). Heavy parts need heavy Machinery. Biting my tongue here.

R

Don’t bite hard too chap :D

We manufacture a range of products ranging from 100mm die to 1.5 meter dia .... 50mm long to 4 meters long

Materials.
Zeron 100 Super Duplex
2205 Duplex
17.4 ss
316 ss
Alloy
LM6 Cast Alloy
H30 6083 Alloy
SG cast iron

I don’t know much about CMZ lathes , what’s the leap between Haas and CMZ lathes ?

I don’t know much about CMZ lathes , what’s the leap between Haas and CMZ lathes ?

That opinion is what I was biting my tongue about. I don't know how to answer the question without being a prick.....CMZ is a newish company 15 years or so. I don't know their background or where their Engineers come from. I'm not going to do the research on them (Eric might). Heavy parts need heavy equipment. It is my opinion that Haas doesn't fall into the heavy category.

R

Back