What's new
What's new

Y Axis for 2 axis turning centers.

LockNut

Stainless
Looks like you'd still need a machine that had C-axis and milling eh?

Not really sure why they even still make those instead of making them all with Y now if they're gonna bother with live tooling at all...

Not really sure why they even still make those instead of making them all with Y now if they're gonna bother with live tooling at all...

Mazak makes all mill drill lathes with Y axis. Cost you more to leave Y out.

Its not chiseled in rock, but rule of thumb, if a lathe is equipped with Rigid Tapping, the spindle can be orientated with M19. To enable some sort of indexing feature, the orientation position can be changed on the fly via G10, Programmable Data Input. It could be made quite tidy by writing a simple Macro called by an "M" code, to pass the Index amount in degrees and have the Macro change the orientation position to make the index.

Regards,

Bill

Last edited:
I GOT IT!

I GOT IT!

By the 15th time of showing the application - I GOT IT!

Now, if they could have taken a cpl of minutes to show how the dumb thing werked!

How is it powered?
That's a little tricky on a turret.
Maybe it run on a Milwaukee batt pack?

Is it on a worm?
Does it lock into position somehow?
Does it hold a brake?

I could see a manual adjust unit like this being useable/cost effective.
Likely better off to buy a Y axis lathe rather than this item I'm afraid?

I liken this to the auxiliary U axis boring heads for HBM/HMC's.
(bore internal hourglasses / tapers)
But those work on the fly and are likely able to justify a little easier.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I'm sure that the spindle is powered via the live tool motor - of course.

I'm wonderin' what the power source is for the servo motor/brake (release?).

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Hm. Nice piece of equipment, thats for sure! But to be honest I can't see any real practical application, especially for the y axis stuff.

I mean that sure y axis is worth a lot, but a used y axis lathe is probably cheaper than that unit, not to speak of having to change battery, being limited to one tool etc.

In a production environment the right tool fpr the job will be a lot cheaper, and in a job-shop the time to program, adjust and the one tool limitation will make your bid for the job way too expensive. Someone with the right tool will get the job.

In the 90's that probably would have flown more than today, as used machines with y axis and actually some with b axis have become so cheap.

That said, there will probably be some special scenario where it would be invaluable and i bet the engineer had a lot of fun designing the things! :)

Back