What's new
What's new

Y axis just crashed when trying to move

qrovin

Aluminum
Anybody have an idea why when i trief to move the y axis on our doosan 5700 it just zoomed to the back and crashed ?

Machine parameters did get reset but that would not explain whythe machine moved so fast with one touch of the y jog button at 25 percent

Lost encoder feedback?
But on modern machines - that should FAULT out in stead of run- away.

-----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Anybody have an idea why when i trief to move the y axis on our doosan 5700 it just zoomed to the back and crashed?

You mean crashed like !wham! or over traveled or hard over traveled? Did you get an over travel in Y messsage/alarm or something else?

Machine parameters did get reset but that would not explain why the machine moved so fast with one touch of the y jog button at 25 percent

Care to explain what was happening so that parameters were lost and had to reset them?

Parameter was reset using backup copy
We had some issues that we finally figured was a faulty cable linking pcb to io board
Also reinstalled fourth axis

Fanuc 0i control

It whammed all the way to the back . Not sure if it hit hard ot but it was fast and loud

So, restored from an SRAM or Flash card? Hand keyed? RS-232?

Was the attempt to jog the axis this first time you tried to move anything after doing the restore and cable fix?

A runaway servo with newish Fanuc systems (<30 years old) are incredibly rare. I actually can not recall ever seeing one run more than maybe 25mm before the drive or control e-stopped itself and I've been working with Fanuc controls for over 40 years now.

Parameter settings can affect the ability of the control to detect erroneous motion. A major hardware failure could conceivably cause a runaway.

Were you truly jogging, or were you zero returning?

I don't think it was any hardware problem with the machine. The machine was lost, thought it knew which way home was, tried to go that way, and overtravelled.

I just upgraded memory in a 21mb, put parameters back in. The machine didn't move between parameter backup and reinstallation, but when I homed the machine out, both X and Y went the wrong way, hard overtravelling Y.

I had to p-cancel the machine and it homed out fine.

was moving y + away from home but on 25 percent rapid
I moved the 4th axis and x axis fine

"We had some issues that we finally figured was a faulty cable linking pcb to io board "
I would go over the cabling and parameters with a fine tooth comb.
As others have said, an runaway on that hardware is beyond rare.

It would be my experience that a +Y move would be towards home, not away. Same with +X and +Z. A crash to the back of the machine is a -Y move. I'm wondering if the parameter that sets motor rotation direction is off. It's 111 for CCW direction and -111 for CW. On an OMC it appears this is set on the Servo Setting Screen. Not sure on Oi.

You still didn't say if you got an over travel alarm after the crash or an over current alarm or both. Or worse yet... no alarm. My thought process says over current without over travel says the machine doesn't know where the hell it is. Perhaps that start up with P cancel is a good idea.

Also do you have incremental or absolute encoders? Was that initial +Y move a Zero Return attempt?

Last edited:
After reading it again, I really do think you may have had it in zero return mode.

You say "after one push of the y jog button"...

Generally speaking (some machines may differ from this as it is largely MTB dependent) to zero return, you put it in zero return mode, select an axis, and hit the + (or -) button once, and it finds home. If your machine lost parameters, and thought it was somewhere on the other side of home, it could go the wrong way if you did that.

In actual jog or rapid modes, you'd have to hold that button, it should stop when you let go.

I would re-home the machine out. P-Cancel on startup if you need to.

I would imagine as suggested by others above that hardware failure is unlikely, it would not be my first idea as to why it happened.

My main concern at the moment is that the speed at which the y axis move. If i can p then move it it might crash the other direction .
Does anyone have the parameter # for adjusting rapid movements on fanuc oi

I can't imagine that it was simply trying to HOME in the wrong direction if it CRASHED out the back door.
Yours may differ, and Brothers or Robo's prolly HOME faster than mine ;) but none of mine HOME at any speed that's gunna "crash" anything.

OP said that it "zoomed" out the back door.
That sounds like missing or backwards encoder to me.
Again - not that I have ever seen that on a modern control tho.

And I have a busted red cap on a 16T early model, and if I just bump the wires at all - the machine instantly shuts down and tosses up a Z axis communications error.
But if it was wired bass akwards (or param wrong?) and the communications was all working - just bass akwards - maybe it wouldn't fault out?

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

My main concern at the moment is that the speed at which the y axis move. If i can p then move it it might crash the other direction .
Does anyone have the parameter # for adjusting rapid movements on fanuc oi

1420. Be aware that if a hardware problem is the cause this parameter probably will not have any affect on the speed.

The most cautious way to deal with this is to disconnect the motor from the screw. This assumes the machine does not have scales.

1420. Be aware that if a hardware problem is the cause this parameter probably will not have any affect on the speed.

The most cautious way to deal with this is to disconnect the motor from the screw. This assumes the machine does not have scales.

And if it had anything to do with zero return, he might look at 1428, reference return rapid feedrate.

In fact, the machine might be set up to not go any slower during zero return even if he has the override set to 25%

I had an older Fanuc, one day it was just sitting there when all of a sudden it just took off in X at full throttle and slammed into the thrust bearing.
Turned out to be a bad bridge rectifier on the power supply board.

I had an older Fanuc, one day it was just sitting there when all of a sudden it just took off in X at full throttle and slammed into the thrust bearing.
Turned out to be a bad bridge rectifier on the power supply board.

Well we did have some issues with power supply so ill ck that angle out

Back