What's new
What's new

Y axis lathe for prototype / job shop

zkling

Aluminum
Looking to round out our small prototype / job shop with a Y axis lathe. So many of our parts are primarily turned then require light milling afterwards, typically needing a 4th axis on the mill. Example tapering, threading (.75" length) and then milling a external hex on the end of a .75" diameter shaft ~12" long. Or turning a ~2.5" diameter 6160-T6 slug to a ball on one end and then putting a hole radial cross through.

Currently the shop has a Whacheon HL580 23x60 manual lathe with taper attach, dro. And a Centroid controlled 40 taper bed mill with the 4th axis. Really between the two and some fixturing all the components are able to be produced, but can really tie up skilled hands and machine availability.

This will be a prototype, maintenance machine, no 1000 piece runs, no shaving seconds for cycle time.

We also do a lot of simple tube work from ~1" to 2.5" OD, hence the preference for a 3" bar capable machine. Threading the last inch or two, a few grooves internal and external for snap rings, then off to another machine for slots or up to 3/4" holes drilled into the side. Would be great do be able to do all of this on one machine.

The machine will seldom see any hard material or heavy cutting, mostly an aluminum, plastic, brass and mild steel (tubing) machine. Very seldom on the maintenance side we need to cut a medium series stainless or 4140, but those can easily be handled on the manual lathe.

While I am not completely sold on a y-axis machine, we could certainly get full use out of it. We also would really benefit from CNC lathe capability (bar puller)for small, simple, two digit quantity parts. Example a 3/8" diameter brass stud ~2" long, threaded externally and internally part way.

As of right now the Haas ST30Y is looking like a pretty fitting machine between the 3" bar capacity at the price tag. I am talking with all the large names, and in our price range the Okuma Genos series, Mazak QTU and nexus series don't seem to be able to offer the bar capacity to handle past 2". I can't see a true need for a sub spindle. 5 turning tool holders and 4 live (2 axial, 2 radial) would do a good 95% of what we need with minimal tool changes needed.

Programming will be done with CAM primarily, but a simple controller with basic conversational programs would be a huge plus.

Thoughts overall on a Y-axis for our applications? Selection of the Haas ST-30Y, how well will it handle the smaller pieces? Is the geared headstock and tailstock worth it? A good 80% of the parts will be hanging out of the chuck a max of 3", but on the seldom chance we needed to make a pump shaft or the like, how is the Haas tailstock on their ST series machine? Would we be better to keep the heavy maintenance jobs on the manual lathe?

Thanks in advance.

Looking to round out our small prototype / job shop with a Y axis lathe. So many of our parts are primarily turned then require light milling afterwards, typically needing a 4th axis on the mill. Example tapering, threading (.75" length) and then milling a external hex on the end of a .75" diameter shaft ~12" long. Or turning a ~2.5" diameter 6160-T6 slug to a ball on one end and then putting a hole radial cross through.

Currently the shop has a Whacheon HL580 23x60 manual lathe with taper attach, dro. And a Centroid controlled 40 taper bed mill with the 4th axis. Really between the two and some fixturing all the components are able to be produced, but can really tie up skilled hands and machine availability.

This will be a prototype, maintenance machine, no 1000 piece runs, no shaving seconds for cycle time.

We also do a lot of simple tube work from ~1" to 2.5" OD, hence the preference for a 3" bar capable machine. Threading the last inch or two, a few grooves internal and external for snap rings, then off to another machine for slots or up to 3/4" holes drilled into the side. Would be great do be able to do all of this on one machine.

The machine will seldom see any hard material or heavy cutting, mostly an aluminum, plastic, brass and mild steel (tubing) machine. Very seldom on the maintenance side we need to cut a medium series stainless or 4140, but those can easily be handled on the manual lathe.

While I am not completely sold on a y-axis machine, we could certainly get full use out of it. We also would really benefit from CNC lathe capability (bar puller)for small, simple, two digit quantity parts. Example a 3/8" diameter brass stud ~2" long, threaded externally and internally part way.

As of right now the Haas ST30Y is looking like a pretty fitting machine between the 3" bar capacity at the price tag. I am talking with all the large names, and in our price range the Okuma Genos series, Mazak QTU and nexus series don't seem to be able to offer the bar capacity to handle past 2". I can't see a true need for a sub spindle. 5 turning tool holders and 4 live (2 axial, 2 radial) would do a good 95% of what we need with minimal tool changes needed.

Programming will be done with CAM primarily, but a simple controller with basic conversational programs would be a huge plus.

Thoughts overall on a Y-axis for our applications? Selection of the Haas ST-30Y, how well will it handle the smaller pieces? Is the geared headstock and tailstock worth it? A good 80% of the parts will be hanging out of the chuck a max of 3", but on the seldom chance we needed to make a pump shaft or the like, how is the Haas tailstock on their ST series machine? Would we be better to keep the heavy maintenance jobs on the manual lathe?

Thanks in advance.

HAAS doesn't come to mind when I think Y axis lathe.

I would look elsewhere

While Haas isn't my first choice, it fits the budget with capabilities. What would you recommend as an alternative? What exactly was your experience with Haas Y-axis machines? Remember this is not going in a production setting, maybe 20hrs of turning time a week.

5 turning tool holders and 4 live (2 axial, 2 radial) would do a good 95% of what we need with minimal tool changes needed.

My experience is the opposite. If the number of live tools in our machine is N, then the number of tools required for the next job will be N+1. :ack2: We have amassed quite a collection.

And job changeovers means changing almost every single tool in the live holders and the ID holders. The only tools that stay put are the OD stick tools.

As much as I like our NLX2500SY and our Brother M140X1, both have certain compromises and I wouldn't want to give up a VMC with fourth in a prototyping environment.

I thought the QTU350MY was 3"? or it just blows the budget by then?
Nothing from Doosan or Hyundai-wia ? (they're probably a fair bit more $ too)

Hopefully the guys here with Y-axis machines can tell you their opinion on small qty/proto work on such machines.
From what I saw before at an other shop, it looked fairly time consuming to set up and get all going just right. Maybe not the most efficient way to skin that cat.

I have a 2014 Haas ST25Y that is not a bad machine compared previous Haas models. It certainly is not an Okuma or even Doosan. The live tool design that Haas uses is rudimentary at best and is limited to 3000 rpm ( they did increase that to 6k on later models).
We are purchasing another turning center with Y axis and subspindle and we are not even considering Haas.

You are looking at a new Haas?

If so, look instead at a used real machine for same $.

A Haas VMC, fine.
Y axis lathe? :skep:

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Really, they're that bad?

We're considering adding a new, larger (than our ST10Y) y-axis lathe, hopefully dual spindle in maybe 2-3 months. Was thinking Haas too, since we have a few other machines and the control is just so easy to use. I like our Doosan Lynx, but just can't stand fanuc. I hate it.

Now you have my second guessing this...

Beefy machine + unfriendly control... or... machine 'made of paper mache' with easy to use control?

FWIW, there is quite a bit of difference between the two we have, in terms of rigidity. Granted the Haas lathe we have is Y axis and the Doosan is not. Is the difference in the larger size machines that much greater??

There's other little things too.. like the parts catcher. Yeah, stupid minor detail, but I really prefer the chute on the Haas vs the basket that doesn't catch shit on the Doosan. But there ya go.

Don't listen to the trolls in this thread... a Haas Lathe is a great machine and will get the job done just fine!

I have one and I haven't found a job that it wouldn't do. Likewise, parts are reasonable and readily available, the control cant be beat.

Not trolling but Haas does not make a 'great' lathe. Functional, yes. Decent control. But very rudimentary live tooling design compared to everyone else in the live tool lathe industry. For the same money you can get better.

Beefy machine + unfriendly control... or... machine 'made of paper mache' with easy to use control?

FWIW, there is quite a bit of difference between the two we have, in terms of rigidity. Granted the Haas lathe we have is Y axis and the Doosan is not. Is the difference in the larger size machines that much greater??

Not sure I've ever heard someone describe Mazatrol as "unfriendly".

I saw the Okuma OSP200? at WMTS a few years ago, and it was pretty easy to follow too.

Yes, I am looking at a Doosan 2100 y as well, have yet to receive the quote.

Machine has to be purchased new..long story.

I need to look into bar capacity vs bore due to draw tube between brands. Really want to be able to put ~14" of 64mm OD tube in the spindle and have to use a manual chuck, not out of the question though.

Hello.
I don't know where you are as I am doing this on my phone but there are plenty of deals on machines out there provided you are in an area that has many dealers. I was in your shoes last year and ended up with an okuma lb 3000 bb. Originally it was between a Haas and a Doosan. But the okuma turned out to be close to the same money. I like the machine and could have, for the same money bought a Takisawa. So my point is, talk to all the dealers and dont be afraid of looking at the more expensive machines.

So don't you Haas lathe guys ever wish you had more rigidity or balls? Every Haas lathe I have seen in person (mostly bigger ones) have looked really light/anemic. I started out with a 30HP Mazak with a 12" chuck and 3 gears and I have found it's limitations and respect the machine (currently replacing with 50HP newer Mazak).

I can't imagine doing CNC lathe jobwork on an underpowered lathe. I have had more lathe jobs than not that the only solution to running the job efficiently with normal tooling was a deeper cut or heavier feed to break the chips. If the option to pour the coals to it and shake the floor a bit wasn't there I'm not sure what I would do in the turning part of my shop.

If I had bought a Haas lathe new 10 years ago I would be out of business. I can guarantee that. Parts that I make good money on would have been impossible on a Haas.

So don't you Haas lathe guys ever wish you had more rigidity or balls? Every Haas lathe I have seen in person (mostly bigger ones) have looked really light/anemic. I started out with a 30HP Mazak with a 12" chuck and 3 gears and I have found it's limitations and respect the machine (currently replacing with 50HP newer Mazak).

I can't imagine doing CNC lathe jobwork on an underpowered lathe. I have had more lathe jobs than not that the only solution to running the job efficiently with normal tooling was a deeper cut or heavier feed to break the chips. If the option to pour the coals to it and shake the floor a bit wasn't there I'm not sure what I would do in the turning part of my shop.

If I had bought a Haas lathe new 10 years ago I would be out of business. I can guarantee that. Parts that I make good money on would have been impossible on a Haas.

Exactly. I do like my ST25Y for what it's worth but by no means is it rigid or ballsy.

I think a Haas would work okay in aluminum and brass, but as Garwood said..heavy casting, steel and large material removal? The hybrid roller system on the Mazak are pretty rigid for the size of machine, but don't know about the new controls or the live tooling.

If you are looking at Haas and you are job shop I get why you want the bigger bar and bed length too perhaps, so why not that Haas(St30?) with the BMT tooling?? Would that be more rigid? The one at IMTS was doing okay. But the new control is where everyone is still on the fence with.

Whatever you decide please come back and leave feed back for all of us here!

Doosan just had the lynx 220 LSYC on at a GREAT price ... I just picked one up and it looks to be well built ,,, I got one of there dnm5700 mills a couple months ago and have been REALLY happy with it . I have a haas SL10 lathe and well never buy more Haas lathes there just to light and well there older ( pre Nex-Gen ) controls are nice I have found out the hard way that its more about what the machine does after you push the green button than before ...

I looked at the Doosan , samsung and mori Y axis sub spindle lathes and mori was just way over priced from the other two machines and even the samsung was close to 30K over the price on the Doosan .. Every month Doosan has a couple of machines on sale and the seem to be some GREAT deals ... well I would not even think of getting a Haas Y axis lathe I did look at the price on them and there more money than the doosan

One thing you need to look at is Haas come with nothing ... the doosan came with chip conveyor, parts catcher , parts conveyor , main and sub chucks , 2 X axis live holders and 2 Z axis live holders. and a nice set of stick holders ,,

Prototypes on a Y axis lathe are a huge pita. Never enough tool holders and always messing around with clearances.
I have a Doosan Lynx 220LSY and prototypes we just turn then mill elsewhere.

After all the Doosan talk I'm excited to see the quote this week.

What is the end use difference between the Lynx and Puma series? Speed? I see the Lynx are linear where as the puma are box way.

Our prototypes are basically the same version of one another just slight modifications, starting from the same bar stock or tubing diameter. So change overs really won't be much. A 1/4" end mill on a radial and axial holder will be the work horse for ~75% of the y axis needs.

Back