What's new
What's new

Yasnac I-80, RS-232 Connection to USB Computer

Eharvey61

Plastic
Hello,
I'm trying to get a 1993 Matsuura MC-510-VF mill, with a Yasnac I-80 control up and running, but I'm having trouble getting it to communicate to and from my laptop with a USB port. The Yasnac control has a female RS-232 connector. I have a male RS-232 adapter to USB, but it is not communicating with the laptop. I've heard that I might need a different adapter to get things working. If anyone has had to work through this issue before, I would greatly appreciate knowing what cable and/or adapter you used, settings, etc. to get things working between the machine and the computer? I appreciate you help, thanks.

This is the one I got, Link. I have had it for close to 4 years now and not one issue. I got this one because of the signal lights but find them virtually useless so if you want to save a few bucks get a less expensive model with the same chip/processor. The processor is what you look for when getting one of these adapters. The only other advice is DNC4U for communication software. Even if you don't buy it use the free evaluation period to do your troubleshooting. It will show you what signals are being received and transmitted, which is very helpful when figuring out cableing. After using it for a few months you won't want to use any other com program. The only free com program I ever liked was Hyperterminal, which works with Win7Pro you just have to install it.

If you get DNC4U and need help with the settings let me know.

I have a 2001 Kitamura with a souped up i80 control.

I have never had any luck with those usb cable converters. Are you getting any alarms or flat out nothing at the control end? I had a serial card installed on my desktop. I think the card cost 29.99 or something. What software are you communicating with?

Thanks for the info David on your Yasnac I-80 communications cable/software. I've also heard the DNC4U is good. Is HyperTerminal another type of software like the DNC4U, or is it something else? Both are not needed, correct?

Thanks, I've also heard of issues going from USB to RS-232, but it sounds like a few people have made it work. Hopefully, it's a technology thing that a few cable guys have figured out. Thanks again for your response.

Sorry, didn't fully answer your question. No, I'm not getting any communication to or from the machine - it like there's no connection. Thanks.

Supposedly it is all about the processor used in the adapter, there is only one that can be relied on. I don't know if this is true since this is the only adapter I have ever had and it has worked flawlessly. I have two machines hooked up to my computer, one is hooked to a serial port card and the other to the Rs232 adapter. Hyperterminal is a free communication software that used to come with Windows up to XP. It is very simple and limited but if your needs were simple it worked fine. No DNC and you couldn't receive more than 500 lines of code. I finally got DNC4U when I needed to run DNC for some surfaced molds I made. It is well worth the money and I love that it shows what signals are active and which are not.

Sorry, didn't fully answer your question. No, I'm not getting any communication to or from the machine - it like there's no connection. Thanks.
Dumb question but are there any signals comming from the port? I only ask because it is a used machine, you never know what has been done to it, and the serial port by my control was not hooked up to the card in the cabinet. The previous owner had ran the cable into the cabinet on the back of the machine and plugged it directly into the communications card.

If you have access to an oscilloscope, connect to pin 2 look for short burst of pulse train, same on pin 3. Ground is pin 5 and must be connected for RS232 communication. I don't remember if pin 2 or 3 is the receive or transmit. Basically the computer sends a signal out on a pin and waits for a response on the other pin. You have to match settings with the computer to device., e.g. baud rate, some other stuff.

Serial ports are pretty much gone from new computers with favor being the USB ports.

We use Belkin Adapters model F5U257b Software (drivers) come with it on the disc, and provide a 9 pin male serial port connector to USB Male connector to hook it all up.

May have to set Com port to establish link.

Hope that helps

You might want to check which COMM port Windoze has assigned to your adapter. I have a couple of different applications that are serial and I've had to use a USB to serial converter. Windoze assigned my adapter to COMM 11. Trouble is, my software only 'sees' COMMs 1-4. You can go into the hardware manager and re-assign it as COMM 1-4 so your software sees it.

I don't have an oscilloscope, but thanks for the info and advise on the Belkin adapter. Through this forum, it sounds like there are a few cable options to try. Thanks to everyone that responded. I'll try to get this machine up and running, and report back on how it went. Thank you.

Thanks for the heads up on the comm port. I'll probably need to get some help with the hardware manager if I need to reassign the comm port, but thanks for the info.

Good thinking about checking the machine port for signals. I believe its working. I had to have the drive rebuilt, and the tech that reinstalled it downloaded the parameters from the machine. Thanks.

Good thinking about checking the machine port for signals. I believe its working. I had to have the drive rebuilt, and the tech that reinstalled it downloaded the parameters from the machine. Thanks.
What drive? I know that spindle drive parameteres are loaded into the drive directly, it would have nothing to do with the control. Same with the tool changer drive. These controls have a few batteries and they don't last forever. It would be a very good idea to change them and back up your parameters and any macro programs. Mine has two in the control and one for the tool changer drive.

The main spindle drive had a problem so I had it rebuilt. I understand that's a different issue, but after it was installed, the tech downloaded the parameters through the RS-232 connector on the machine, so I know the machine RS-232 port is working. My issue now is communicating from the machine RS-232 to the laptop USB, which you provided info on the cable & adapter that you've had good success with. I ordered the XS8801 cable and DB9-DB25 adapter from them. Hopefully that will get me up and running. Thanks for your help.

This is the one I got, Link. I have had it for close to 4 years now and not one issue. I got this one because of the signal lights but find them virtually useless so if you want to save a few bucks get a less expensive model with the same chip/processor. The processor is what you look for when getting one of these adapters. The only other advice is DNC4U for communication software. Even if you don't buy it use the free evaluation period to do your troubleshooting. It will show you what signals are being received and transmitted, which is very helpful when figuring out cableing. After using it for a few months you won't want to use any other com program. The only free com program I ever liked was Hyperterminal, which works with Win7Pro you just have to install it.

If you get DNC4U and need help with the settings let me know.

I have a 2001 Kitamura with a souped up i80 control.

Hello David,
I just received the cable and adapter that you suggested, and downloaded DNC4U. I'm going through the setup process and the wizard is asking me to send a file from the the CNC machine. Could you possibly help me with the process to send something from my Yasnac I-80 to the computer? Thanks in advance. If talking on the phone is easier and you have a minute, my number is 530 210 3791.

Back