What's new
What's new

Yasnac memory upgrade

dll6

Aluminum
I have a MORI SEIKI MV35/40 w/Yasnac MX1
I'm looking for the memory installation instructions for the listed memory boards along with the 6041 parameters for both memory boards.

JANCD-MM01C-02 and JANCD-MM06

Thank you

Would they actually assist you in doing a memory upgrade?

If you do not know how to do it yourself there are several companies and individuals that do aftermarket memory upgrades

I'm not sure, but every time I've needed help back in the day (mid 90's) for a Mori with a Yasnac control on it I called them.

Oddly enough every person I spoke to had a very heavy Japanese accent and was named Frank lol. I always got a kick out of that.

I have a MORI SEIKI MV35/40 w/Yasnac MX1
I'm looking for the memory installation instructions for the listed memory boards along with the 6041 parameters for both memory boards.

JANCD-MM01C-02 and JANCD-MM06

Thank you

Tulip Memory in Canada could help, I think, with the memory boards. The parameters themselves, however, are either on hard copy literature someone in the machine's documentation or from Yasnac or the tool builder.

I have a call out to Yaskawa as well as this thread. I have the upgrade procedure. I know 6041 for a aftermarket memory upgrade of the same size. I'm not confident that the current MM01C-02 has the right 6041 parameter. I lost all the parameters but have since got it up and running.
The current parameters including hidden are backed up to disk. I'm comfortable regenerating the memory and reinstalling the parameters should something go wrong.
I just want to end up with all the memory I can after the MM06 piggy back board is installed.
But mostly I want to get this information out there so the next yasnac owner doesn't have to go to Yaskawa and spend $500 and wait 3 months for a compact disk hard copy from Japan of generic ladder and electrical diagrams which include only the basic systems .. No optional systems

Edit..
Yaskawa installed these controllers on many different makes and models of machines so anything particular from one model to the next was considered a option. For instance tape readers, tape punchers, Rs232c, rs244, tool changers, optional dro display, etc.

Memes Memory upgrade procedure

I couldn't upload the pdf file due to its size so here's the important stuff.
Backup parameters with system switch in position #4 to ensure you get the configuration parameters unique to your machine, prm 6030-6049 are the config parameters.
Backup settings, programs, diagnostic as well if their important. There is a risk of loosing everything if something goes wrong.

INSTALLING THE NEW (Memex) TULIP MM06 MEMORY CARD
1. POWER OFF THE CONTROL 2. LOCATE THE JANCD-MM01 PCB or JANCD MM01C-02 3. LOCATE THE MEMORY PCB (JANCD-MM06) if present 4. REPLACE THE EXISTING BOARD WITH THE NEW ONE, MAE SURE THE PCB IS SECURELY SEATED ON THE CONNECTOR AND ALL 4 SCREWS ARE SECURELY IN PLACE 5. POWER ON 6. SET THE SYSTEM SWITCH TO -4 7. WRITE DOWN THE EXISTING SETTINGS FOR PARAMETER 6041. BIT3 BIT2 BIT1 BIT0 6041 8. CHANGE THE SETTINGS FOR PARAMETER 6041 TO THE FOLLOWING: BIT3 BIT2 BIT1 BIT0 6041 0 1 0 9. PROGRAM PAGE TYPE 0-9999 ERASE 10. CONTROL POWER OFF 11. SET SYSTEM SWITCH TO -7 12. CONTROL POWER ON 13. YOU WILL SEE A REGENERATION MENU 1 14. YOU WILL WANT TO REGENERATE THE PROGRAM MEMORY 15. PRESS “RESET, NEXT, and PRGM” KEYS IN SEQUENTIAL ORDER 16. SET SYSTEM SWITCH TO -0 17. CONTROL POWER OFF 18. CONTROL POWER ON 19. PROGRAM PAGE TYPE 0-9999 ERASE 20. CHECK THE DIRECTORY PAGE, THE DIRECTORY WILL INDICATE IN THE LOWER LEFT HAND CORNER THE AMOUNT OF MEMORY IN BYTES (THIS SHOULD READ 120K OR ABOVE ) 21. RELOAD THE PROGRAMS AND OFFSETS AND CHECK THE OPERATION. 22. SET THE SYSTEM SWITCH TO – 4 23. SET THE FOLLOWING PARAMETER BACK TO THEIR ORIGINAL SETTINGS THAT YOU WROTE DOWN EARLIER. 6004 BIT 3 6004 BIT 4 6021 BIT 7 6022 BIT 5 24. SET THE COMMUNICATION PARAMETERS BACK TO THEIR ORIGINAL SETTINGS 25. SET THE SYSTEM SWITCH TO --0 26. TEST THE MEMORY. DO THIS BY LOADING IN PROGRAMS UNTIL THE MEMORY IS FULL. NOTE: THESE CONTROLS ARE RIGID IN PROCEDURE, YOU MUST DO THIS PROCEDURE COMPLETELY AND IN THE SEQUENCE DESCRIBED. IF YOU GET ANYTHING BUT THE DESIRED RESULT REPEAT THE COMPLETE PROCEDURE AGAIN.

If anyone wants it I can send you the PDF.

JANCD-MM06 installed without a hitch

The JANCD-MM06 installed just as the Memex instructions described. Went from a capacity of 0021461 (0928) parameter 4061D3-D0 was 0010
To 0061397 (4064) parameter 4061D3-D0 is now 0101.
So from 21461 characters to 61397 characters of capacity.. better but still pathetic. There used MM06 cost me $350
Still going to have to drip feed

The JANCD-MM06 installed just as the Memex instructions described. Went from a capacity of 0021461 (0928) parameter 4061D3-D0 was 0010
To 0061397 (4064) parameter 4061D3-D0 is now 0101.
So from 21461 characters to 61397 characters of capacity.. better but still pathetic. There used MM06 cost me $350
Still going to have to drip feed

Better than before at least.
It's always been an issue with older controllers about memory. Back in the 80s stuff like troichordial milling and such was not really thought of as practical, if it was even known at all.
I put a Tulip board in my 1986 Mori SL-3 with Fanuc 11T-A cnc and it was a tremendous improvement - WAY beyond the 128k of memory it came with.

I've read a lot about memory and yaskawa/yasnac, much of it from their documents covering the MX, J and I series controls. Their early documentation is difficult for me to follow because it all seems to have been written or translated by people whose first language is not English.
I believe the max memory capacity that the MX1 will support is 128kb, the MM06 is supposed to bring the MM01C-02 up to that 128kb, the MX2&3 support more. I know less about Fanuc controls, but I think the Fanuc's are a Max of 2mb, depending on the version, 11TA-A, I don't know, I haven't gone down the Fanuc rabbit hole in search of Yasnac info, I've read there are similarities between them.
In regards to memory and what my display shows now "0061397(4064)", I've read the first part is capacity in characters and I don't know what the second part (4064) refers to. The parameters, settings, offsets, etc. all take from the total memory capacity.
I wish the MX1 could be made to at least hold 1 large program, say 300kb, without breaking up into sub-programs or drip feeding.
One of my programs is 281kb/54245 lines of code and I only get to 13210 lines before memory overrun. I can remove spaces and blank lines with DNC4U but that's still not gonna get me to 54000 lines.

Back