What's new
What's new

Ycm max-1 tool changer troubles

Dukerc51

Aluminum
Hi I recently got a Supermax max-1 mill. The previous owner was manually changing tools and had some limit switches jumped. I’m trying to get the machine back working. I’ve got the tool changer somewhat working. The spindle unclamp doesn’t seem to travel far enough to let you place a tool in the spindle.

I’ve run some ycm mills where if it ran outta oil it would stick tools in spindle. I’ve got oil in the reservoir now. I’m wondering if my cylinder is going bad? I haven’t tried a tool changer cycle in automatic yet as the carriage is still lazy to come into the spindle.

I’ve got it moving now that it’s getting fresh oil. I’ve got an airline that is plugged off I’m chasing out now.

atc line.jpg

What do you have of the original manuals from the machine builder for the machine? Parts book? Operation/maintenance manual?

Looks like a pneumatic cylinder for the tool unclamp or is it an air over oil cylinder? I have seen pneumatic cylinders get too much oil in them and cause a “hydraulic lock” where the oil gets trapped in a stroke cushion and can not escape fast enough for the cylinder to reach its full stroke.

The unconnected air line could be lots of things. Since it is tee’d into another line makes me think it may be a supply line. Pressure all the time? Possibly air blow through the spindle for taper cleaning? Spindle purge air? Feed to a solenoid valve for air blast while dry milling? Pretty basic detective work.

If you have a parts manual that shows the construction of the unclamp cylinder, post up a nice scan of it. Also it is not uncommon for a builder to include a pneumatic schematic in their documentation. Post that if you have it.

Thanks for the reply, The mystery air line has pressure until I actuate the tool unclamp then it stops until I let go of the button. The tool cleaning works thats a different line. I gotta chase it back to the valve body bank. I have the machine limping through tool changes now. I'm putting a bigger regulator lube unit on the machine, it's been replaced and I think it's too small. The machine has a drip lubricator for the oil for the beat cylinder.I have it adjusted for max oil maybe I will back it down so it's not getting hydro locked. Thanks again.

beat cylinder.jpg

We have one of these machines and it was in a similar state when I started here five or so years ago. So yes. First of all it is critical that the spindle is unclamping consistently and that can be a combination of the air over hydraulic cylinder not functioning properly, or the the hydraulics in the spindle leaking (top of cylinder not sealing properly or loose. After that there are two issues that can mess up a tool change. The big one are the cam followers on the indexing plate on the tool changer. Take the cover off and take the end guard off of the tool changer motor. Take the fan off the motor and use a small set of vise grips to rotate the motor by hand. Looking down from the top the cycle starts with the limit switch cam on the lobe. You can slowly cycle the changer through the stroke (empty). The changer arm attaches to the shaft via a tapered style lock ring. You get to it by removing the finger lock on the bottom of the changer shaft. There is a spring and an E shaped lock that should slide easily in and out by gravity. This locks the fingers in place while the arm is in transit so the holders don't fly out The locking mechanism is then pushed out when the tool changer shaft lifts, allowing the fingers to let go. If a cam follower is broken or bent on the index plate this can affect the end position, so indexing the unit through a couple changes and inspecting the cam followers when they become disengaged from the plate, then adjusting the arm position by loosening the taper lock screws, adjusting position, and then locking them down once the arm is in place. In Home position this should be parallel to the edge of the tool changer base plate. So, if the oil level is low in the charge cylinder the spindle will not fully release and the result is that the the changer finger will likely bend or break when trying to pull the tool out of the spindle resulting the the tool dropping out of the spindle once it's fully released because the holder can't hold it. Changing the tool manually isn't a good indication of what kind of shape the release is in as there is no time limit on a manual clamp/release like there is on an automatic tool change. The spindle clamps the tool via a stack of belleville washers and releases when the hydraulics compress those washers. This results in a fail-safe condition of the tool being clamped by default when there is no power or hydraulic pressure present.

Hope this helps.

We have one of these machines and it was in a similar state when I started here five or so years ago. So yes. First of all it is critical that the spindle is unclamping consistently and that can be a combination of the air over hydraulic cylinder not functioning properly, or the the hydraulics in the spindle leaking (top of cylinder not sealing properly or loose. After that there are two issues that can mess up a tool change. The big one are the cam followers on the indexing plate on the tool changer. Take the cover off and take the end guard off of the tool changer motor. Take the fan off the motor and use a small set of vise grips to rotate the motor by hand. Looking down from the top the cycle starts with the limit switch cam on the lobe. You can slowly cycle the changer through the stroke (empty). The changer arm attaches to the shaft via a tapered style lock ring. You get to it by removing the finger lock on the bottom of the changer shaft. There is a spring and an E shaped lock that should slide easily in and out by gravity. This locks the fingers in place while the arm is in transit so the holders don't fly out The locking mechanism is then pushed out when the tool changer shaft lifts, allowing the fingers to let go. If a cam follower is broken or bent on the index plate this can affect the end position, so indexing the unit through a couple changes and inspecting the cam followers when they become disengaged from the plate, then adjusting the arm position by loosening the taper lock screws, adjusting position, and then locking them down once the arm is in place. In Home position this should be parallel to the edge of the tool changer base plate. So, if the oil level is low in the charge cylinder the spindle will not fully release and the result is that the the changer finger will likely bend or break when trying to pull the tool out of the spindle resulting the the tool dropping out of the spindle once it's fully released because the holder can't hold it. Changing the tool manually isn't a good indication of what kind of shape the release is in as there is no time limit on a manual clamp/release like there is on an automatic tool change. The spindle clamps the tool via a stack of belleville washers and releases when the hydraulics compress those washers. This results in a fail-safe condition of the tool being clamped by default when there is no power or hydraulic pressure present.

Hope this helps.

So I upgraded my compressor and the air regulator on machine. The toolchanger is working now. I need to lower my z home position. I can see the carosel move upward when it hits the tool in the spindle. I changed the z grid shift but then the magazine won't advance toward the spindle. I'm thinking one of the limit switches not isn't getting triggered and holding magazine from coming forward?

Back