What's new
What's new

Yeah Hoo! My Latest Shop Made Tooling

david n

Diamond
Yeh Hoo! My Latest Shop Made Tooling

Well, I've been running these horrid little forgings for about 3yrs, 1500-2000/year. They suck. Really suck. I hate them. And the first OP was always a real pain to get a nice uniform diameter for the next two OPs. Stand them vertical, hold onto a small little tang, listen to them squeal and chatter, and hope for the best. Did I mention I hate these parts?

IMG_5200.jpg

When I started these, my customer supplied the first hollow mill. It worked....barely. It was made for the Bridgeport and used brazed carbide turning tools. I used it for the intial run of these parts and with furry and frustrastion chucked it in the scrap bin and made myself my own hollow mill that used those inexpensive indexible toolholders with the TPG style inserts. It worked a little better, but with the interupted cut, lack or rigidity on the Bridgy, the screw on inserts just got beat to heck. So here is phase three:

IMG_5204.jpg

IMG_5203.jpg

Shameless MariTool plug. :D Got myself some lefthand 80° insert turning toolholders, a hunk of spare D2 I had laying around, a few hours of crankin handles and here we have the Cadilac of hollow mills. :smoking: She's my baby. Works like a charm, very stable, quiet, and inserts last forever.

Here's an action shot:

IMG_5213.jpg

And the finished 1st OP:

IMG_5218.jpg

Worked so darn good, I had myself a beer. (And thought this big 'ol piston and connecting rod was photo worthy too. ;)) And now back to my 2nd beer. :cheers:

IMG_5225.jpg

BRAVO!!!!!(CLAP...CLAP....CLAP!!! You just gave me a Idea for a box turning tool for my turning center! Mine will need to be adjustable and compact but only adjustable on for the finish pass......I could just....................

Thank you for sharing! :cheers:

Does it cut faster or give better better finish with the two cutters vs. just using one?

Did you try a Criterion style boring head before making this? I wonder how it would compare with a short heavy indexable bar?

Looks good though, nice execution!

Does it cut faster or give better better finish with the two cutters vs. just using one?

Did you try a Criterion style boring head before making this? I wonder how it would compare with a short heavy indexable bar?

Looks good though, nice execution!

The two cutters work like a dream. One is set lower and slightly larger for the rougher and the other just finishes. They aren't adjustable and are set for this particular diameter (which is kinda wide open tolerance wise:)),

Boring head wouldn't stand a chance. Unbalanced, slow, and not nearly rigid enough.

What sort of VMC is that? Cheers!! Peace

Pete

Lookin' like a Haas Mini to me...

So David!
That is some great idea you gave away there!
But please let us know what did it take to dial in?
Or, perhaps you're not as much worried about size, just to make a clean diameter? Maybe they don't even need to cut the same diameter, just as long as they both cut as to eliminate chatter???

Making a guess that you've fed down, stopped the spindle and higher fed out? Any issues with the stall in-the-cut affecting the inserts?

Edit: Slow on the trigger here .....

That is looking real nice. What sort of VMC is that? Cheers!! Peace

Pete

First of all, nice work on the design and execution!

Judging from the toolchanger umbrella and the paint, I'd say it's a Haas...

I'm also curious what you have going on with the movable jaws on those vises. Is it just a slot so that you can pin vise jaws and have them repeat for recurring jobs?

Lookin' like a Haas Mini to me...

So David!
That is some great idea you gave away there!
But please let us know what did it take to dial in?
Or, perhaps you're not as much worried about size, just to make a clean diameter? Maybe they don't even need to cut the same diameter, just as long as they both cut as to eliminate chatter???

Making a guess that you've fed down, stopped the spindle and higher fed out? Any issues with the stall in-the-cut affecting the inserts?

Edit: Slow on the trigger here .....

Actually, to dial the tool in I took a cut with one tool mounted. Measured. Took the tool out and dusted it to size on the surface grinder for the finisher. Did the same with the other but left a few thou for the rougher.

Actually, to dial the tool in I took a cut with one tool mounted. Measured. Took the tool out and dusted it to size on the surface grinder for the finisher. Did the same with the other but left a few thou for the rougher.

Did you set the finisher side up with a 1/64 nose radius?

I'm also curious what you have going on with the movable jaws on those vises. Is it just a slot so that you can pin vise jaws and have them repeat for recurring jobs?

I have quite a bit of repeat work and have piles of soft jaws for each job. All my Kurt vises and soft jaws are pinned. Makes setups go really quick.

Did you set the finisher side up with a 1/64 nose radius?

1/64 radius on both. Running 2000 RPMs, 15 IPM on the feed, sneek up on the bottom for the last .05 of cut at 5 IPM(the tang that is clamped in the vise pounds kinda hard), and rapid off the part. 125 parts and the inserts still look new.:smoking:

Back