What's new
What's new

Yuasa 4th axis

We also have a used Yuasa indexer. The controller is an absolute pain to use, and I've been given many warnings by my support guy on how easy it is to wipe settings which require it to be sent in to fix, but I have no complaints about the indexer itself.

Dylad,

Thank you so much for the response. I am new to 4th axis. My understanding is that my program will have an Mcode that will signal the indexer to do its program, which I edit at its own box, then when that is done, control returns to my machine? Is this correct?

Can you be more specific about the model of the indexer you have?

The model of the indexer itself, and more importantly, the model number of the control box

If your controller box is a PNC100/500 (blue box), or CPNC 100/500 (green box), then you can program positions into the box easily using the keypad, and fire Mcode(s) on your machine to make it work. Requires a finish signal input to the cnc.

If your control is a UDNC100/500 (white box), you can do the same as above, but require a calculator (hp 48 I think) to program it. Optionally, you can write a macro for your machine to send positional commands to the box thru RS232 with this box. Still requires finish signal.

If your box is neither of these, but newer, then I have no experience with it. I believe they are similar to the UDNC boxes except they don't require the stupid calculator.

Personally, in terms of reliability, I prefer the CPNC boxes. We have several, and they have way less problems than the UDNC boxes. They are easier to program (no calculator) and change parameters (again, no calculator required)

Stay away from the PNC boxes. It isn't that they don't work; they do. But they have an open loop stepper motor setup, which means if the indexer stalls, the indexer won't know, and the machine will continue on like everything is fine!

While I don't prefer them from a reliability standpoint, the UDNC are the most versatile of the ones I mentioned above, because you can set up your machine to go to any angle by specifying it in your program. And it treats the commands as absolute values, unlike the default of the calculator-programming of all the boxes above, which are incrementally programmed.

If you don't have the manual for your indexer, yuasa still offers PDF manuals on their website here: YUASA

And ps: I hope your indexer has the air brake. Even with small indexers (5c) the added rigidity is great.

I'm setting up a SUDX indexer with UDNC-100 controller and am having some struggles. My wiring is all good, m-code signal works, but I'm having trouble getting the UDNC to accept the motion I program in my main program on the CNC. The guy at Yuasa has been really patient but I'm just missing it somewhere. He said the i22 parameter needs to be changed so the controller takes motion commands through the RS232 cable instead of the onboard memory, but I'm not sure how to implement this. How do I change parameters using DPRNT? I believe it's case sensitive too, and my mill can only type in caps. This is my test program:
O2;
POPEN;
DPRNT[A0EF1000G91B90M30];
PCLOS;
M71; (my cycle finish code)
M30;
%

To change parameters, you gotta have the HP calculator (the 48 model) loaded with Yuasa software, OR you can use Yuasa Terminal computer program (old program). Not sure if they have the software available for download on their website. Pretty sure the manual on their website covers the calculator/software use.

http://www.yuasa-intl.com/images/products/pdfs/SUDXOPERATIONMANUAL.PDF

And if that parameter is already set (unlikely, but possible), just note that the rs232 pin configuration does not match the "normal" pin configuration for a fanuc machine. A "normal" setup for a fanuc control won't work with the box; check the manual.

I have the Terminal program, but they told me you have to run it through DOS, so I haven't tried to do anything with it yet. I made the PC to UDNC cable that's needed, just need to figure out the software. I tried connecting to the UDNC with Hyper Terminal but that hasn't worked yet. That'll be today's project.

I'm just figuring out our udnc. I used putty to communicate with the controller from my laptop. It's free, but pretty low level. Hyperterminal should work but it wasnt installed on my laptop. Windows 7.

I also got the indexer to work on one of our Matsuura mills using the macro method described in the manual. I had to use a null modem cable between the mill and the indexer. Once I did that, all was well.

I also pulled the cover off the udnc to check the dip switches described in the manual.

The program you're sending looks ok. From my understanding, you're sending a COMPLETE program containing a single motion command. Great for simple indexing jobs.

If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll check that i22 parameter.

I've got a helical job comming up so I'll be digging into the udnc deeper!

I have a UDNC as well. Once I found the right manual for it I had no problem getting it wired, programmed and indexing off M-codes from one of my mills.

The Yuasa is more involved to setup than a Haas, but works fine.

i22 = 0 on my UDNC-100.
That makes sense to me because the mill isn't sending a single command. It's sending a whole new program every time it writes to the com port. Then your M code tells the indexer to execute it.

Help!!!!

I'm just figuring out our udnc. I used putty to communicate with the controller from my laptop. It's free, but pretty low level. Hyperterminal should work but it wasnt installed on my laptop. Windows 7.

I also got the indexer to work on one of our Matsuura mills using the macro method described in the manual. I had to use a null modem cable between the mill and the indexer. Once I did that, all was well.

I also pulled the cover off the udnc to check the dip switches described in the manual.

The program you're sending looks ok. From my understanding, you're sending a COMPLETE program containing a single motion command. Great for simple indexing jobs.

If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll check that i22 parameter.

I've got a helical job comming up so I'll be digging into the udnc deeper!

I'm having the hardest time getting connected through putty, how did you get it working?

This thread got me thinking. I went looking around and I have a PNC-100 4th axis controller with the manual for sale $500.00 PM me if you are interested and let me know in the thread in case I did not get your message for some reason.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

Back