What's new
What's new

z axis high when tool changing

Ozone

Plastic
My Fadal VMC 15 sat for over a month. Now my z is off around .100, when changing tools, ie mostly won't change them. It's too close to machine zero to reset with CS. I've tried everything. What am I missing? Thanks, I have a part order of 60 pieces to get out ASAP

My old Fadal 4020 does the same thing. After cold start, I look at the axis marks. Occasionally, the z axis is about 1/8" off (and that prevents tool changes). I hand jog the z until the marks line up, and re-do cold start. Then the problem goes away.

If you have the manuals, it covers the encoder adjustments. Basically taking cover off of encoding. Loosen the resolve and turn it until your cold start position Mark's line up. There is a height dimension to obtain by manually swinging the tool changer over to the spindle

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My Fadal VMC 15 sat for over a month. Now my z is off around .100, when changing tools, ie mostly won't change them. It's too close to machine zero to reset with CS. I've tried everything. What am I missing? Thanks, I have a part order of 60 pieces to get out ASAP

Your probably off by 1 turn of the Z axis leadscrew.

Jog the Z-axis to line up with the Z-axis mark, and redo CS.

If you have a DC machine, you can rotate the resolver, but if you have to do that then there's a bigger problem somewhere that needs to be checked.

If it’s low try moving it up over the mark and reset cold start if that works then loosen small screws on the Little tab and adjust it so next time you can get it perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks, I am leery of what changed. It is still not working. The marks are aligned. Could the tool holder be bent or misaligned? Yes it is a DC machine.

Your probably off by 1 turn of the Z axis leadscrew.

Jog the Z-axis to line up with the Z-axis mark, and redo CS.

If you have a DC machine, you can rotate the resolver, but if you have to do that then there's a bigger problem somewhere that needs to be checked.

^^^ This.
It's a sign that the reference mark on the encoder is too close to the the home switch contact.
Dirt on the ramp, older slower switches can make this show up for no apparent reason.
Clean both or move the ramp a tad.
Bob

Back