What's new
What's new

Z axis movement when Canceling Cartesian To Polar Transformation G112-G113

Donny092

Plastic
Need some help people, currently programming HAAS ST35Y. I am using the G112 function for milling a series of arcs and lines around my billet, I use G112 because I can program it in X and Y and the control will convert it to C using polar. It's milled my shape no problem, but when I move away to clearance in Z and X and call off that function with G113 the machine decided to send my tool back towards my workpiece and if I allow it to do what it wants it will plunge in to the job. Any ideas what's happening here?

Post the code.

--------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
The start of my Block is:

G0 Z3.
G0 C0.
M08
G112
G0 X50.
G1 G42 Z-7.4 D09 F150.

Then it machines my profile out perfectly.

So I end my Polar portion of the process as :

G0 G40 Z10.
G113
(Here is where it wants to travel back in to my work piece)
G0 G55 G17 G40 G80 G98
G0 X18.6
G0 Z3.0
G01 Z-3.5 F250.
G13 I8. Z-3.5 F350. D09

I think it maybe something to do with Tool Comp. Maybe I need to cancel it on a feed rather than a rapid or something, We all know how much of a headache tool comp can be!

I don't doo a lot of C werk anymore (thankfully to Y) but looking back at a good program for a Fanuc, the only thing that I see is that I "fed" off the part at like 200 IPM and then fired the G113, before calling a G0, but I have no clue why that would make any difference?

You already canceled your comp in the previous line (and the next one as well? - good to be sure I guess... LOL!) so I don't expect that is the culprit.

Mine is Fanuc, and I never ran a Haas, so there could be a small difference there.
???

-------------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Figured it out, turns out you have to be at your Z depth when you cancel the command, I was moving away in Z and X to my next start position and then cancelling the command. It was going back to its Z depth to cancel it, I moved away to clear the job in X axis and kept it at its Z depth, then canceled the command and moved away in Z axis after, which seemed to sort I out.

G0 during polar?

Yeah, I'm thinking that G0 in Polar is a no-no in Fanuc too.
At least my code seems to point to that.

Maybe you should try to move off in G1 F200. and then cancel and see how it responds - just for the sake of understanding.

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

On Fanuc, rapid moves in Polar mode are usually not allowed. So I always taught that you did a "fast feed" - in this case, a "G1 G98 Z.25 F120." to retract the Z, then go onward. When cancelling, a G13.1 (or G113 depending) after a G1 move is the way I did it.

Figured it out, turns out you have to be at your Z depth when you cancel the command, I was moving away in Z and X to my next start position and then cancelling the command. It was going back to its Z depth to cancel it, I moved away to clear the job in X axis and kept it at its Z depth, then canceled the command and moved away in Z axis after, which seemed to sort I out.

Hello Donny,
I know its the case with Fanuc and it states specifically in the Haas Manual that "Z-axis moves are not allowed while this mode is enabled" (extract from manual). Accordingly, the "Z" move in your following code is also incorrect:

G112
G0 X50.
G1 G42 Z-7.4 D09 F150.

Regards,

Bill

Back